Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2000 900ss. the other day i stopped for gas and when i went to start it all i heard was a click. i immediately heard the click on the starter solenoid. thought that would be the problem. changed it with an OEM one and still nothing. my battery is newish (3 months, no sitting, daily rider) i did have an incident with a big rig a few weeks ago and my bike got knocked over and the blinker is out. i bring this up only because while waiting for the insurance company to replace it, ive blown a fuse or two accidentally using my blinker. ive checked and replaced all fuses except the main one. any thoughts there? also i noticed when i tapped the starter with the butt of a screwdriver i hear the fuel pump start up again as if i just turned on the on off switch. weird...... im going to change out the wires from the starter to the solenoid and see if that helps. otherwise it looks like a 600 dollar starter :(

any help? also im in the sacramento area and would love to meet up with other riders this summer. hit me up if you ride in my area.

·
Señor Member
8,232 Posts
It does sound like a starter failure. To help troubleshoot it, take a heavy enough gauge wire and go directly from the positive side of the battery to the starter lead. If it spins, it's not the starter and will require sorting out the wiring. If it doesn't spin, the starter is not working. When my starter failed I had it rebuilt rather than replaced with a new one. Cost was right about $100. As for Sacramento area riders, there are quite a few. I live on the north side of the city in Antelope. I'll be at Cycle Gear this Thursday for their bike night on my GT if you happen to go, too. You should join us for the WCM in June, check the thread and sign up.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
The fuel pump cycling could be the side stand switch? I don't know if that's your problem. My 2000's starter played up because of a loose nut on the alternator that is a common problem.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
right on!! ill check on that starter stuff. where did you get yours rebuilt? that shop off roseville road? i know they do ducatis. im actually in citrus heights, antelope and i80 :) citrus heights PD has 8 new suv cruisers too FYI. ill check my alternators nuts, lol

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
Not very long ago there was a thread about a cheaper starter source. If that is you issue, look it up.

·
Señor Member
8,232 Posts
right on!! ill check on that starter stuff. where did you get yours rebuilt? that shop off roseville road? i know they do ducatis. im actually in citrus heights, antelope and i80 :) citrus heights PD has 8 new suv cruisers too FYI. ill check my alternators nuts, lol
I was living in SoCal at the time my starter failed. I did a search for a shop that repaired/rebuilt automotive starters, then asked if they would work on mine as it was much smaller. Same process really.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have 2 used starters on my shelf. They came off 90's Supersports but should be a match. They've both been tested by a qualified motorcycle shop and work great. I will ship one to you from Ga for $95- if interested email me & I'll send you a photo. Their black finish is flawed some but one is nicer. [email protected]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts