Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am normally very confident at very slow speeds, getting around cars/obstacles, counter-balancing in tight turns, etc.

F#@$, doing the same in a parking lot, looking for a safe place to park, and suddenly, on a tight right hand turn, slam on the ground.

Don't really know what happened. F#[email protected]:mad::mad::mad:.

RH mickey-mouse mirror (in the process of being replaced) scuffed, along with the bar-end. Broken RH brake lever (stock ones now to be replaced).

Nothing else (I've noticed yet).

So much for my self-confidence:(. Thanks for the opportunity to vent.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sorry to hear about that man, but I think everyone is due to drop their bike at least once. At least your happened at low speeds :)

It's important to try to remember what happend because you need to learn from it. If it felt like the bike slid out maybe you grabbed too much throttle, if it just dropped maybe you grabbed the front brake.

·
I have a button.. BITCHES!
8,971 Posts
Been there. Did anyone see? And if so, how did you play it off like you meant to do it. Always pretend that you meant to. :D

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

... if it just dropped maybe you grabbed the front brake.
Thanks for diagnosing that:). An inappropriate touch of the front brake is/was the most likely cause.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
An inappropriate touch of the front brake is/was the most likely cause.
All it takes is a bit of sand/gravel. I've done it. It happens incredibly fast.

Incredibly frustrating, but at least you have it over with; you had to do it at least once.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All it takes is a bit of sand/gravel. I've done it. It happens incredibly fast.

Incredibly frustrating, but at least you have it over with; you had to do it at least once.
Actually sand/gravel not needed when turning at near full lock. The FB totally unsettles the fine balance taking place.

I only use the rear brake for slow speed stuff. Hope you weren't hurt and the bike is ok.
My pride is broken in 5 places, and bleeding profusely:abduct:.

New Pazzo's, and Rizo bar-ends on their way.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You have the right idea; Crash damage should be viewed as an opportunity to upgrade components!:D Usually resulting in money saved over OEM parts!:D

·
Premium Member
8,739 Posts
Yup, like others have said, I use my rear brake for tight slow turns too, you know the effects of the front brake has on a bike during a slow turn.

During slow manuevering, I also keep the RPMs up a bit because if your bike dies mid-turn, good-bye, all of a sudden the bike becomes a giant paperweight. You put your foot out too late and even if you do it may just slip out and you might damage yourself as well. Auto reaction to do that. That was the cause of a parking lot tip over for my on my SS some years ago.

·
Registered
608 Posts
NOT ONLY the friggin scuff factor and expense of body work (THATS why we have full coverage, and please - use it), its goldarn embarrassing.
Happened w/ me and the heavy 680lb BMW right in front of our local joint for beers - boot hooked oddly on kickstand, down we went.
AT LEAST w/ a Duc you can lift it back up by yourself.
BACK to insurance - get that mutha in the shop now or soon, forget the rest.

·
Registered
56 Posts
NOT ONLY the friggin scuff factor and expense of body work (THATS why we have full coverage, and please - use it), its goldarn embarrassing.
Happened w/ me and the heavy 680lb BMW right in front of our local joint for beers - boot hooked oddly on kickstand, down we went.
AT LEAST w/ a Duc you can lift it back up by yourself.
BACK to insurance - get that mutha in the shop now or soon, forget the rest.
I sympathize. 2 years ago I took my 1st non-taxpayer funded overseas trip to Ireland where I rented a bike for 3 days. The wife & I rode all over, checked out a bunch of castles & such. On the last day I missed the turn to Kilkea castle. The GPS told me correctly, but there was a paved driveway & street right next to one another, neither had signs. I took the street. realizing the mistake, I grabbed a large turn around area and proceeded to turn about. I'd done this thousands of times - but not with a passenger. So we're making the turn slowly, I backed off the throttle ever so slightly and the next thing I know we are on the ground with the bike rotating around as the rear tire bounces up & down... The bike was only scraped on a guard, we were totally unhurt, but my earphone cord ripped... Had to navigate w/o voice but NBD for the few remaining miles left. I let off the gas because I was on gravel and didn't want to wash out ... Live & learn.

At least it didn't deter the wife, had 2 moto trips last year :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts