Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas?

My '05 ss1000DS will not start. I took it out for a nice 2 hour ride last week, came back at night and parked it in my garage. Everything fine, next day it wont start. It was rediculously humid out, tons of rain and thick fog over night and morning, and the bike made the same clicking noise that it did when over the summer i was little overzealous with the hose on wahsign it, but then i just aimed a hair dryer at the ignition system (from a few feet away)under the tank for like an hour and it started right up after it dried out. Now i have the exact same symptoms, i had the hair dryer on it over night, so my garage was about 75 degrees (yeah i was amazed i heated the whole garage) and dry for past 8 hours, still will not start. I put a volt meter on it, its 13.3 V off and while under load (turned on and pushign start button) 12.6V, so i dont think its the battery. Only thing I can even think of with the battery is the battery tender, whenever i plug it in it automatically started charging according to the led, could i have killed the batt by plugging the tender in after a ride (for winter time whe i only get out once every week or 2 ive been doing that). I'm about to try a jumpstart with my car batt but i dont think thats going to do anything. Any one have this problem before? something dumb im not thinking of? Thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
The obvious: Kill Switch on, got fuel, fuel valve open ....

A kicking sound when trying to start: sound like either a weak battery or poor wire connection. Try jumping with your car battery check all of the starter cicuit connections, battery, solenoid, starter, engine/frame ground.

Hope that helps, bol.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, im attempting jumpstarting now, checked all the fuses as per battley cycles reccomendation. hoping its just a bad battery

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, jump start worked, must be a bad battery, ive only had the bike since june, so battley is replacing the battery and checkin out the whole system for me underwarranty, on the way over now. Threw me off caus elats time it did the same thing it was wate rin the system. Thanks for the help,

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Don't assume the battery. Could be the generator (or alternator or what ever they're called) Mine went bad and had the exact same symptoms of yours, and would jump start. I assumed battery. Wrong. Covered under warranty though so no big deal. Odds are it's a warranty item either way so take it in and let them fix it...don't worry about it.

·
Chilehead
6,986 Posts
My 1000DS has an ittermittant short. If it won't turn over, and I hear the clicking sound, I disconnect the sidestand switch, problem goes away, start the bike, reconnect switch. The bike will go in for the 6k service soon, and is still under warranty, so I will leave it for the dealer to sort out. Doesn't happen every time, but when it does disconnecting, starting, and reconnecting works for me.

Tom

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
there are 2 things to check before you go to Battley's....1....look at the white connector on the starter solenoid and make sure it didn't back itself off!....2...check the harness and make sure it isn't getting pinched in the steering lock....if those 2 are fine and the problem still exists...then go to Battley.....I am home today in Aspen Hill area if it turns out it is pinched and needs to be stripped and redone or whatever!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow thanks for the offer, as it turns out i got it jumpstarted and just rode it over to battleys yesterday (i just got it in june so still under warranty) they checked all the connections and put a new battery in for me, started perfect today, so hopefully its been fixed for good. Had to get my last ride in before i leave for tampa for a week for a conference, course it wa slike 29 degrees at 8 am this morning :eek: but thanks for all the advice, i really appreciate the help everyone

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
One quick way to "see" if it's charging: After dark, look at the amount of light from the headlight at idle. Then rev it to about 2000rpm. You should see it brighten up going from idle to 2K.

·
Registered
432 Posts
zooom said:
there are 2 things to check before you go to Battley's....1....look at the white connector on the starter solenoid and make sure it didn't back itself off!....2...check the harness and make sure it isn't getting pinched in the steering lock...
Thanks for posting this tip about the white connector on the starter solenoid! It had backed out slightly and wouldn't start today. A quick search on Ducati.ms and this tip got me back on the road while it was still warm enough outside to take a quick ride to get my "fix". :D Thanks! :yeah:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.