Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I write every once in a while on LT's blog, and found this latest thought to be fitting here. Just thought I would share it amongst fellow Street Fighter owners. Enjoy!

16 June 2009 “Damn The Torpedoes…” (by billg)

Funny how an interest leads to research; which leads to intrigue; which leads to a test ride; which leads to a decision. I’d like to take this time to thank my ST3s for being my first Ducati. She did well in introducing me to my next phase of bikes. I have no regrets of where I came from riding an old 72 Yamaha RD350 in college at the age of 22; to putting in my best efforts of riding motocross at the ripe old age of 30 (I was slow, but I did love it); to hanging up my boots (I still have them “just in case”) at 45; to picking up a Honda Shadow that totally disappointed me with no power, crappy suspension and left me with a desire for more. To my two other Yamahas, the 1100 Classic that still has some of the best lines of any cruiser I have laid eyes on… but still lacked power even after ditching the pipes for window shaking SideBurners which looked like someone took them off a semi truck and onto my last cruiser, the Yamaha Midnight Roadliner, with its’ nearly 2 liter engine and enough torque to pull tree stumps.

But something was missing and something wasn’t right. Why do I have to keep adding weight with power? What the hell does someone do when 800 pounds of steel is reminding you of Newton’s law of an object in motion tends to stay in motion… and stopping or steering 800 pounds is a lot of motion to conteract. It was on one trip to Atlanta for one of the bike show. And there was that red oasis and the bike I had read about but never seen in person. The Monster. I’m usually quick to decide if I like something and my friend with me already knew it when I sat on one of the bikes. I just could not get over the trellis frame. Everything exposed. No hidden agenda. All power and the only thing fat was the sound. Now that’s what I’m talking about.

It was not long after that trip that I had my mind set. “I need a second bike”. Everyone should have a second bike. A chicken in every pot and two bikes in the garage! Initially I planned on keeping the Roadliner, but after I got my ST3s, it was over. I saw no reason to confuse my senses. Why be a passenger on a cruiser, when you can pilot a Ducati. I have nothing against those who find solice in cruising, it just was not what I wanted. I wanted more control of the power. Less weight and for some of us, to take the path less traveled by buying a Ducati.

It takes a very conscious effort to not buy an inline four, but for me it seemed natural. I had ridden single and twins all the time. And now here is the ST3 with that same low end grunt and a sound that reminds me of how early Formula One cars sound. High revs from a two cylinder just does it for me.

All along I had intentions of making sure I was outfitted proper. Lots of bag space on all my previous bikes. I even did the same routine on the ST. Got to make sure I take enough JIC crap (just in case), ’cause you never know you may have to rebuild the motor on the roadside. And that’s not to mention all the other things I would add to “the kit”. It didn’t take long before I got fed up lugging all this crap around when all I really only wanted to do was ride. It just became self defeating. A preoccupation. A nuisance. So I stopped using my hard bags and it was not long before I added the S2R1000 to the mix.

Wow. It’s like if the ST3 was drinking beer, the S2R was shots of Jeagermeister! Holy crap, the fun factor jumped ten fold. And still no regrets. Each decision, whether it’s wrong or right will eventually take you down the right path.

It didn’t take long before the miles on the S2R catapulted past the ST3. It was sort of like I stopped calling her, only showed up when I was drunk (the S2R down for service) and quickly ditched her for that whore S2R whenever I could. Maybe the ST3 is too pretty. Too refined. Too proper. I needed that whore of an S2R and her loud mouth report each time I went through the gears. Maybe whore is not quite what she is, but I liked what the result was whenver I needed some! Maybe the ST3 thinks the S2R is a whore just from being passed over. I mean the ST dresses nicer. Doesn’t offend people by exposing her frame as much. Sort of low profile in contrast to that skunk striped beast. The ST3 would ponder, “What could she possibly have that I don’t, I mean really she’s naked!”

And Bingo! It all makes sense. I am after just the essentials. If my bike was a woman, it would be a cave woman. Just the basics of rawness that can survive and thrive with not a care in the world about the modern bikes latest dress code. She can throw down with the best in her class and carry herself with the appeal of what makes a bike, a bike. Two wheels and an engine. No lettuce, no cheese, or special sauce & that damned sesame seed bun.

So logically when the Street Fighter emerged from fictional drawings, rumored skunk works and top secret spy photos, it was all a matter of time. Ducati had me from “hello” and while there are crappy things happening with the economy, and there never seems to be a perfect time for planetary alignment and double confirmation from my Ouija Board… I say Damned the Torpedoes, Full Speed Ahead. I might be riding a Red S Model come Saturday. So please keep your women and children inside as this is a true Red Light District affair and she cusses worse than the S2R ever could!

·
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would make me the John, that had a girl (ST3) but fell for a 'ho (S2R), then heard about her sister (SFs), so he ditches the girl, keeps the 'ho, but is sneaking around with the sister (SFs). Through the sands of time, these are the Ducs of our lives.

·
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad you liked that :)
I don't cross post as a habit, but that post was purely street fighter inspired with my journey to it for the sake of sharing. Otherwise I leave the story telling on LT's blog site and keep to the meat n tatters here. Hopefully no one found it offensive/too off the beaten path of the usual posts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts