Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Full disclosure, I am a Dainese fan boy since the 70s. I don't know if it is the fit or quality or style but it is my brand. Maybe it's because they hook you with that special Opti zipper that only allows their pants to match their jackets. Regardless, they usually deliver a good product for the price especially if you hunt for bargains.

Recently I bought my first jacket with those aluminum shoulder plates. Unfortunately one plate was scratched and the cost to return ship it with customs made that out of the question. I called Dainese warranty who suggested first to return to vendor for exchange. I then found that if the jacket is Ducati made by Dainese or, in my case Puma by Dainese, Dainese will direct you to those companies. Big news to me. So I asked if the plates could be purchased.

The aluminum ones are $45 each and the Titanium $95 each. Add shipping and you are talking about real money. And, the finish is just as fragile on a new plate.

So....I decided to powder coat mine. Taking them off was easy, just use a 3mm Allen key but CAUTION!

The retaining nuts, you would think, would be molded into the plastic inner plate but they are not. It looks like they put a dab of hot glue on them but it does not hold them to the inner plate. So I had three tiny nuts floating around under the lining of the jacket. Curses!

No problem, I get out my parts magnet expecting to easily recover the nuts. Hmmmm, no luck. What the hell, they are brass. More curses!

Can't really see them either but using a tiny led light I could see them, recovered them from within the interior and put them in a safe place.

Powder coating came out great, nice hard finish. Now for the reinstall.

What I did was carefully make a one inch separation in a seam of the lining near the shoulder and one-by-one reinstalled each nut and screw using locktite. Some cursing because this is like appendix surgery but it did work. Stitched it up and the patient is all better now.

One thing for sure, I won't have to worry about scratching the plates unless I take a fall. And I do think it was worth the trouble.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
If you even look at those aluminum plates with a hard stare, they'll scratch. It's ridiculous. The most damage they've received was in the closet.

But man... dude... you've been around the internet for some time now...

WHERE ARE THE PICS? HAHA.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Jim,

that looks like a seriously seriously pimp jacket... show us a picture of the whole thing.

hilarious that you went to so much trouble for a little scratch... :D

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No doubt, all that work seems obsessive but I did have access to "free" powdercoating. Watch, I'll probably Calex myself and trash the jacket. Here is a picture--

I got this one because the green reminded me of an old flight suit and would match up with the SpyVito helmet--

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
That looks real nice. If I had the patience, I would certainly have done that to mine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts