Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the waterproof case today and installed it all. I haven't had a chance to ride with it yet but i will tomorrow. Gut feeling is I'm really going to like it a lot. Its in a great spot on the navihalter and i can operate it with my summer gloves on no problem. The only thing that didn't work out as planned was the hard wire kit, my original intention was to use one of the accessory plugs but the plug didn't reach so i had to cut the din plug off the end and i hard wired it to the factory GPS plug under the left faring. No biggie there, the do offer a direct hard wire kit but cutting off the plug was essentially the same.

Heres some pics. I need to take some outside in daylight.
From the saddle

And a side view.

·
Super Moderator
5,659 Posts
looks fantastic

nice workmanship. So there's a dedicated wire hiding under the fairing just waiting for a GPS, and it happens to have just the right amount of juice for an iPhone? nice! gotta see it in person sometime and write down all the parts you used. thanks for posting. actually, would you mind listing the exact items you used for that install, it's exactly what I'm trying to accomplish. Also, by way of review, I listened to the Scala G9 to and from the Cape this week, about 2 hours each way; takes a little getting used to the controls, not completely frustration-free but functions well and sounds great.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
There sure is power there for a GPS, Ducati was nice enough to put that there for us :)

Basically the kit i bought has a charger box that i spliced into that gps power lead and ran it to the phone from there. I put the box inside the fairing on some of that super heavy duty 3m velcro that they use on the transponder mounts.

Here are links to the parts i used.
Motorcycle Info Pages - MTS1200 DIY Mods > MTS1200 Custom GPS Power Lead
info on the power lead

http://www.ultimate-mobiles.co.uk/mobile-phones/apple/apple-iphone-4G/bike-mounts/hardwire-box-m8-3prong-iphone4___2177.htm
This is the waterproof mount. It comes with the ball adapter to mount to the handlebar and the hard wire kit to power the phone. The parts seem to be of good quality and the wire kit is nice and waterproof.

UltimateAddons 3 Prong Adapter Plate with Amps 4 Hole Layout
This is the 4 hole amps adapter plate i used to mount the holder to the navihalter instead of using the ball mount.

Both of these came from Ultimate Addons in the UK. One tip if you do order from them, use the paypal service if you can. I tried to order straight up using my card and ther webpage gave an error which i think is caused by my banks verification setup. I used paypal and it worked fine. It took about 2 weeks for the parts to come. I did send them an email after a week plus asking for status and they were very responsive.

Then there is the navihalter from Germany. I had to use google chrome to translate this page and get it ordered. It came in like a week and its a fantastic product.
Home - Online-Shop

·
Registered
483 Posts
The position is good for this.
I have the same case, but with the round handlebar mount. worked very well so far, but since I added the SW Motech hardgaurd protectors, the case mount is facing towards me.

Let us know if the phone charges from that power point. I tried charging the phone from the 12v outlets, but the voltage is irregular and the phone sometimes says "Charging is not supported for this device".

How did you secure the navihalter to the front?

·
Registered
504 Posts
nice... only one problem - I as understand it you can't lock iPhone to always show the screen content in horizontal view (but in vertical). This means that the screen will auto rotate when accelerating or braking. Or am I wrong?

·
Registered
483 Posts
True, but in those sutuations, I won't be looking at the screen anyway.
It is very brief moments when it happens.

·
Super Moderator
5,659 Posts
can you record video?

It looks like it might be high up enough that if you rotated it 180 degrees the camera could see through the windshield. How cool would that be? iPhone as communicator, GPS, and GoPro camera all in one!

I wonder if this case could attach easily to the naviholter mount: http://www.optrix.com/store/rugged, it's got a fisheye lens.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nice... only one problem - I as understand it you can't lock iPhone to always show the screen content in horizontal view (but in vertical). This means that the screen will auto rotate when accelerating or braking. Or am I wrong?
That is kind of an issue with some apps. Mine when i first tried it the gps was all over the place during braking, hitting bumps, cornering etc. I have jailbroken and carrier unlocked my phone and there are some apps for jailbroken phones that fix that issue. I downloaded one called inorotate that allows you to turn off rotation for whatever apps you chose. In my case the only one i care about is tom tom and i have that selected for no rotation and it stays in whatever mode i launch it in.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It looks like it might be high up enough that if you rotated it 180 degrees the camera could see through the windshield. How cool would that be? iPhone as communicator, GPS, and GoPro camera all in one!

I wonder if this case could attach easily to the naviholter mount: Rugged, it's got a fisheye lens.

It actually works as a camera now with just a little of the mount in view. I was going to play with the video a bit to just to see how it would work, flipped 180 it would totally have a clear view. I mounted mine the direction i did so i would have the button on the left side. Never gave the camera much thought but i will give it a try.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The position is good for this.
I have the same case, but with the round handlebar mount. worked very well so far, but since I added the SW Motech hardgaurd protectors, the case mount is facing towards me.

Let us know if the phone charges from that power point. I tried charging the phone from the 12v outlets, but the voltage is irregular and the phone sometimes says "Charging is not supported for this device".

How did you secure the navihalter to the front?
After a few rides this weekend i would say that the phone is charging no problem. The only time i saw the "charging is not supported" message is when i started the bike once, the rest of the time it was fine and the one time it did it i unplugged/replugged the phone and it was fine.

The Navihalter is a clamp on mount. There are two bars that bolt on that clamp it to the fairing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts