Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just thought that I would share a video of my daughter and I changing the friction disks and taking a peek at the hub and basket in the old Monster. Sorry the video is a bit lengthy but I wanted to show that she did pretty much all the work. I'm just taking advantage of the time we have now before she becomes a teen and hanging out with dad isn't cool anymore ha-ha.

Hope you dig it. G and I had blast spending the afternoon in the garage and then putting the video together (except the times I was cussing iMovie).

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
So you imply, if this young girl can do this, so can you. (y)

To me the main issue is knowing what exactly to do.
Turning wrenches is not hard. Except when thing don't want to come apart or go back together. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you imply, if this young girl can do this, so can you. (y)

To me the main issue is knowing what exactly to do.
Turning wrenches is not hard. Except when thing don't want to come apart or go back together. :)
You are absolutely right. Sometimes things don't come apart and go back together as expected that muck things up and you need to find someone with more experience or tools than you. :)

While I'm no master mechanic by any stretch of the imagination. I have worked on and around everything from heavy diesel construction equipment to clapped out old 2T bikes and I'm comfortable jumping into any project. My point I guess with the video is that most often, basic maintenance on bikes (especially like the one in the video) is really not difficult. You have to start somewhere. Read the book consult the internets and start small. When I started with this bike I was apprehensive about the valves, TPS reset, and TB synch. I'd never done any of that before but research and the help of a number of members on the forum, especially (Belter, and Punch) I was able to work through it.

Start small, work up to more complex stuff, and more importantly have fun. (y)

·
Registered
416 Posts
Great to see Grace Ella is interested in working with dad. Greater still to see that she wants to swing spanners.
There is no time like now to start her on good habits, crack all the screws before you wind one out. Make the last screw you remove the top one so the cover hangs safely until you are ready to take it off. Loosening sequence should be similar to torquing sequence, I have seen bent parts from undoing all one side first.
If she keeps up with the learning she will end up as a rare breed who can still repair things and nut out a problem.

I doubt that Grace Ella is going to find working with dad on the bikes is not cool, especially if she has her own soon.

·
Registered
7,427 Posts
Send her to mechanic school. No, Wait ! She’ll meet some guy !

Reactions: scott

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@ Stillrollinalong- yup she has always liked coming out and helping on odd projects. It is pretty amazing how quickly she is catching on to some of those little tricks to make the jobs easier.

@rex- I agree about the growing up thing. When I met my wife her son was five. He is now 20 and attending UofO. I cant believe how fast time went so like I said I am taking advantage now.

@duc96cr- Yeah there'll be none of that ha-ha.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
My son (now 20) used to work with me. Still does occasionally. Daughter (14) still does. In fact, she is my main motivator. 'Daddy, you/we need to.....'

Enjoy/promote/prolong it as much as you can.

Reactions: Cowens726 and scott
1 - 10 of 10 Posts