Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the heads off my 91 900ss I just purchased a cylinder head wrench from the dealer they gave me a discount( $327.00) ouch!!! I feel like I got raped but back to my question does anyone know the head torque and procedure and what type of lube to put on the stud threads etc.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
taken from my mh900e manual:

step 1: 15 Nm
step 2: 25 Nm
last step: 40 Nm with a tolerance of +-10%

Thread is M10x1.5, use "grease C" - shell retinax LX2,
a standard grease that lasts from -10 'til +110° Celsius.

cheers

mh manual is from 2001, your bike could have studs
that are a fraction thinner, and the torque values
might differ slightly too.

:think:

·
Registered
233 Posts
You paid $327 for a wrench and didn't have the dealer tell you how to use it? For that kind of money, they should happily give you a copy of the shop manual page also.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
In english it is 3 stages 10,20 30ftlb. Use some moly grease if you have it.Lacking that at least oil the threads and under the nuts.Use a criss cross pattern when torquing the nuts.Make sure the mating surfaces on the head and barrel are absolutely clean and don't reuse the orings.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a Haynes Manuel but somewhere I read it was printed wrong. I just wanted to make sure the manuel I have is right. I was still delirious from the price of the tool when I made the post

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm sure in the Haynes book of lies it shows how to make a special tool by welding a socket onto a ring spanner. Thats got to be cheaper.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I made one a welded one. It works great. Cost about $15 for a craftsman offset box end wrench and a socket. Have used it many many times over 10 years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts