Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the cylinder heads off my 91 900ss to do the valve guides do I need to replace the cylinder base gaskets

·
Registered
662 Posts
I took the cylinder heads off my 91 900ss to do the valve guides do I need to replace the cylinder base gaskets
No, as long as you didn't lift the cylinders off. Take a close look at the RHS of both to check for oil leaks. The front cylinder has no 0-ring so it relies on just the base to seal it. The rear has an oring in the base. Now would be the time to fix if it's a problem.

Some might be tempted to yank off the cylinders at this point and inspect your bore for wear and taper and piston wear and ring end gap, especially if you're a high miler or you are running hi-comps or 944 but if you've isolated your problem to guides, then no worries.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Hi 944SS
Do you know if the 750SS also has got an oring under the rear base cylinder?
regards
Arnego2
according to my 99 750ss manual you should use liquid gaskett for the base gasketts. I always used the black silicon gaskett sealer. You can get it from most auto parts (don't get the el'cheapo though) stores.

that is, unless you need to ajust the squish... then you will need to look for some base gasketts.

Gray

·
Registered
603 Posts
I wouldn't use anything but Ducatibond, yamabond, etc. Which is Threebond. Ducatibond is Threebond1215, Yamabond and others are Threebond 1194 which is a little thinner than 1215. Either will work but I prefer 1215.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
You went through all of the trouble of taking out the engine and removing the heads and you're concerned about a $3 vertical and $6 horizontal base gasket? :think:

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
according to my 99 750ss manual you should use liquid gaskett for the base gasketts. I always used the black silicon gaskett sealer. You can get it from most auto parts (don't get the el'cheapo though) stores.

that is, unless you need to ajust the squish... then you will need to look for some base gasketts.

Gray
Hmmm, that's interesting. My bike does not have this stuff on the base gaskets.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You went through all of the trouble of taking out the engine and removing the heads and you're concerned about a $3 vertical and $6 horizontal base gasket? :think:
Hi there,
I don't think he's concerned with the price more likely the seeping is the reason.
regards
arnego2

1 - 8 of 8 Posts