Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my 1100DS hypers hit the 36k mile mark & I decided to freshen up my motor, once I disassembled both heads entirely to vapor blast I notice both heads have sunk in exaust seats (no wonder I ran out of thin opener shims) & kinda loose valve guides even from running leaded fuel.........SO

Who does guide & seat replacement on air cooled 2V Ducati motors?
Or
Anybody have a set of heads with tight guides, non sunk in exaust seats & low miles they want to sell?

·
Premium Member
2,922 Posts
call Memphis Motorworks & speak to Leo Goff---901-757-1009

·
Registered
1994 900SS CR, 2002 998 Trackbike
458 Posts
J-precision in Quebec did mine. I'm based in Canada but i think they have a fair few customers from the states as well due to their CNC porting they offer. Very knowledgeable people when it comes to these heads from what I can tell.

·
Registered
146 Posts
as the owner of a 60k km 2007 hm1100, i'd be interested to hear how common this condition is - very rare i'm hoping :rolleyes:

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If your opener shims are getting thinner & thinner especially your vertical head.......your seats & valves are dying I knew my vertical was getting near the end when I needed to have my opener shims custom ground thinner than anything avalable.
36000 miles on Ethonol free 91 mixed with Leaded VP C-12 50/50 & it still ate my exaust seats granted I ride hard everytime but REALLY?
Parts alone from AMS Ducati are just under $1700 & that's before labor & shipping I'm going to contact the two listed on this thread but I'm seriously considering another "doner' bike I know of two 2009 hypers with 4k miles they can't seem to all but give away for around $5500 I don't need another damn bike but from what I'm seeing out there parts for these are getting rare & expensive as hell so buy another one & part it out on ebay might be in the cards

·
Registered
'06 S2R 1100 Custom, '12 SF 1040
846 Posts
J-precision in Quebec did mine. I'm based in Canada but i think they have a fair few customers from the states as well due to their CNC porting they offer. Very knowledgeable people when it comes to these heads from what I can tell.
+1 on J-precision/AV&V, I believe they work closely with Bruce Meyers(might have the name wrong there)

They’re in Canada though, so Ducshop would be my second option. I’m looking to go +2mm on intake and +1mm on the valves and I believe Ducshop only does 46mm intakes (+1mm).

any local hot rod shop should be able to refresh stock heads if you’re just looking for a refresh though.

hope That helps :)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After digging around machine shops i have used for race engines none of them can fixture the Ducati head to machine it so i dug deeper finding alot of shops after a couple conversations really did not know much of anything about Ducati's to impress me...so my next idea was just buy another Hypermotard & part it out.

THEN i called mark @ Ducshop my problem is solved this guy has forgotten more than most people know about Ducati's so both of my heads are getting shipped out monday after a trip to the vapor blaster for cleaning & hopefully ill get them back due to his busy schedule before march.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Ducshop does great work. Ask them to flow the heads why they are at it! You should at least have one of your Hypermotards ported!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's my plan ..you know the drill.....hey while you have them why not port em........

Besides after blowing through somewhere north of 5k on this thing so far
Whats another grand?

Reactions: alexc

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The problem with 'its only another grand' is that I've said that everytime after the first 2 grand.
The way it's been going the only thing stopping this drunken sailor on shore leave spending spree is riding starts the first of April (for me anyway) meaning im done & want to ride but the rate I'm going it could be another 4 grand before April arrives.

·
Registered
'06 S2R 1100 Custom, '12 SF 1040
846 Posts
The problem with 'its only another grand' is that I've said that everytime after the first 2 grand.
The way it's been going the only thing stopping this drunken sailor on shore leave spending spree is riding starts the first of April (for me anyway) meaning im done & want to ride but the rate I'm going it could be another 4 grand before April arrives.
You should see the mental gymnastics I’ve been doing about the subject of carbon fiber wheels. I know I can’t reasonably afford them at the moment, but it’s so tempting. Glad you got it figured out.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I haven't gone down the carbon wheel rabbit hole yet most of my money has been spent on motor work & parts

1 - 13 of 13 Posts