Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After disassembling the cylinder heads to service the valves and putting everything back together I realized that the upper rocker arms (openers) weren't centered and I had somehow replaced the shims out of order. Getting everything sorted out left me with the exhaust valve on the vertical cylinder not having any shims between the rocker arm and the outer wall of the head. Placing even the thinnest shim between the arm and the case leaves the arm centered unevenly over the valve shim. So, is the shim just a shim and location is irrelevant other than regarding the centering of the rocker arm, or does the shim act as a bushing and one is required between each of the pieces on the rocker arm shaft (i.e each side of the rocker arm and spring clip)? I was also wondering about the torque values for the cylinder head nuts. The haynes manual has them at like 11, 27, and 39 n/m of torque which equates to 29 ft/lbs at the highest value (1ft/lb being equal to 1.3558n/m). They seem ridiculously loose so I was thinking I am making some error in this regard.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
A shim between the rocker and cyl head is a good idea to keep the rocker from wearing the head.You didn't mix up the rockers between the heads did you? You could try sanding the end of the rocker to allow a shim if you are careful.You could just leave it as it is because the rocker really doesn't have any side loads on it and just check it every now and then.

·
Registered
243 Posts
When I took apart mine for new valve guides, mine didn't have a shim there on one of them also. I think it would be better to have one there but must not be critical.

The torque setting isn't much but you do realize you're torqing on the end of 83mm length tool at a 90 degree angle, right? That should work out to be quite a bit more on the actual nut itself.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sure the rockers are in their original positions. The shims however may be mixed up. I hadn't noticed some of them had stuck to the side of the case and then fallen to the bottom together. As far as I can tell their are only two thicknesses which are visually easy to differentiate from each other which makes it impossible to place one between the rocker and the case while keeping the rocker centered over the valve shim (if there were a thinner one that might work, but that does not appear to be the case). I suppose I could break out the micrometer and measure them to make sure. I'm going to pull the other cylinder tonight and compare them.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Inferno,There are 3 different shim thicknesses .1 .2 .3 You might have two stuck together.And the head torque of 29-30ftlb.is correct.Do it in three stages and make sure the head and cyl. surfaces are clean.Some moly grease on the threads and under the nuts[The bikes] helps torque them accurately.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I must have one of the thinner shims mixed up. The shims from both valves got inadverdantly mixed together so I'll pull them back out and measure them. I'm sure none are stuck to the case wall. I'll see if I can get them all centered up. The torque info is reassuring as well. I realize there's a lot of leverage there, but it still feels like it should be tighter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts