Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, oil is dripping from the horizontal cylinder head/barrel assembly.
Could that only (or hopefully just) be bad orings ?
Should I renew the nuts/studs when head is taken off?
:mad:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Probably just the orings leaking.But if you have the shiny stainless steel looking studs you should probably replace them as they are known to break and will also cause oil leaks like you have.It is rare but the freeze plugs that seal the oil passages in the cylinder can leak too.

·
Registered
954 Posts
The o-rings get toasted and need replacing every few years... would recommend doing the studs tho? C/cycleworks do APE studs.

Getting the old ones out is a ROYAL FPITA....

·
Registered
662 Posts
Agree it is quite likely the o-rings but I had a leak in that area that was base gasket related. It was self inflicted in the sense I had replaced it installing a 944 kit but a new gasket fixed it. If you are changing the studs, which you should if they have not been done, you will need to remove the cylinder and need a new base gasket anyway.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I guess its "good" practice to change the studs? Or are they like stretch bolts on a car engine?
If I go all the way and take of the cylinder to change the studs I might as well change the piston rings.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mine was leaking from the front cylider head too - it was due to a broken head stud. I dropped the engine out to replace all studs - front and rear pots. Good time to get the heads overhauled and replace all the "o" rings etc. Good luck Bang76!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Then of course if you are going to renew the rings the high compression pistons you've always wanted would be just the ticket to put them onto
The" While I'm in there" syndrome is dangerous but higher compression pistons do liven things up quite a bit.

·
Registered
954 Posts
So I guess its "good" practice to change the studs? Or are they like stretch bolts on a car engine?
If I go all the way and take of the cylinder to change the studs I might as well change the piston rings.
Cheaper to buy hi-comps than buy new piston rings! :D

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supersport/129701-900ss-trials-tribulations.html

My antics.... be advised to replace the oil galley plug whilst the motor is out - with new studs, o-rings & hi-comps your motor will be EPIC. :cool:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh dear, yep I could go all the way. The list of things to overhaul just gets longer and longer :D
For now Im not gonna drop the engine Ill just take the horizontal head off... then go ride again... Parts are on its way...

·
Registered
954 Posts
Oh dear, yep I could go all the way. The list of things to overhaul just gets longer and longer :D
For now Im not gonna drop the engine Ill just take the horizontal head off... then go ride again... Parts are on its way...
Fix it for now - then tear it all down over Winter & sort everything else.

They are good bikes, but assembled terribly - best way to know you have a good bike is to strip & rebuild the lot troubleshooting as you go. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi everyone - bringing back an old thread back to life.

I have the EXACT same seepage on my ST2, on the horizontal cylinder.

What is the most minimal procedure I need to do to replace those o-rings? If I simply remove the belt, mark it's direction, and make sure the cam pulleys and engine don't spin a bit, do I need to worry about timing?

Can the head be simply pulled a little bit on the studs so I can clean it, put a new o-ring in place and bolt it back?

Lastly, do I need new nuts for the heads absolutely?

Thanks!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry forgot to update.
I changed the oring and theres now no oil leak.

bromontst2: I can advice you to have a look in the service manual (download) or get the Haynes.
The biggest concern is the head bolt tool. I made my own tool.
Im sure the guys here will not recite the complete operation :D

Attachments

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
I sprung a leak in the horiz. This spring. Found bottom left stud broken. Replaced studs, and o rings. Lower o ring had been sucked into oil galley. Still leaked after reassembly. Pulled it down again, new thicker viton o rings, and put a piece of alum tube in oil galley between head and cyl. to keep o ring from getting sucked in again. Used copper silicone to glue o rings in . So far so good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts