Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the o-rings (head to barrel) in my vertical cylinder sprang a leak and needed attention.I took it to my local ducati tech and in a nutshell this what he did. We soaked the somewhat corroded head nuts with "liquid-wrench" for a few days and then after a lot of gentle and not so gentle persuasion,the nuts were free enough to take a proper torqueing.It's hard to tell just how far off the nuts were out of torque spec.But it is safe to assume that the heads were in a somewhat "floating" state.After the fix,it appeared that the leak was still there.But after a REALLY thorough cleaning in between the cylinder fins with a can of brake cleaner and compressed air,it appears that the leak is fixed.No oil drip after a really hard ride of about 100 miles.The retorque of the heads cost about $50,removing or swinging the engine to replace the o-rings would cost about $500.
Comments?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same problem on my 750SS, After a top end rebuild, problem solved. Basically the Ducati's didn't come with any or much gasket sealant. I gooped mine with liquid gasket + new ducati base gasket and life was good!

Dropping the motor to do all this was "no so good" though. *Sigh*

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
93900ss said:
I don't suppose you would rent me the tool? Mine are leaking as well
Thanks Jim
My mechanic had to cut and grind his wrench to get at the nut on the front right of the vertical head. This was such a simple fix.I'll bet a lot of people have spent a LOT of money doing it the hard way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts