Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The 1198 is a bloody good strong engine, it has a sloppy gear box, but its strong. Take life and the bike as it comes, if something happens, save and fix it. Its a great fun bike, its worth it. Dave.
Agreed. The engine is what I originally fell in love with 5 years ago when I rode my first Multi. I was enamored for weeks and joked with my guy whose bike I rode that I wouldn't get off it if he let me ride it again. It earned the nickname "God's Chariot" after that test ride...

1324 suggests Zundfolge which suggests BMW, but I'm guessing.
Very good guess. The best anyone has wagered. But not exactly. It's from a Subaru, and incidentally, a Honda VFR800 - another one of my previous flings.

I love '10-'12 threads. Never enough of them here now that it's more fashionable to be fighting with the disappointing torque and horsepower curves on newer bikes. Because, the 10-12s are great rides, just as fast or faster than the new bikes, and sooo much cheaper. By the way, I'm one of the board philosophers. Just call me Lew.

You are worried about something that has not happened yet. This is unwise. Now to be sure, the thing you fear could happen. Then again, it hasn't happened yet and probably will never happen so you are borrowing trouble from the future. This is an annoying debt that cis easily avoided by simply not dong that.

Some people do like to worry. I know as by genetic composition and from experience I have done my share of rueful worrying, much of which has come to naught. We won't talk about those times when worry is justified but suffice to say yours is not one of those. May I suggest (borrowing a phrase from the asshats that sell fake collectible coins on TV) that by not worrying, you will avoid future regret. The thing is, if you're going to regret something it's always better to regret it later rather than right now. But again, at this moment, you don't actually have any cause for regret. You can't be angry with yourself because this whole porous head business is freaking confusing. Nobody expects anybody but a guy who already owns one of these to know about it. More to the point, if your bike isn't pissing coolant now, it almost certainly never will. Even if it ever did, which is unlikely, I direct you back to point A, namely, there is no pay in borrowing worry.

Ride that bitch and enjoy. I will probably never sell mine. Post more pictures. By the way, white was the hot color in some circles although I always wished they'd made it in yellow.

One last thing:
While you're at it, do the brake and clutch fluids unless you know the dealer did it prior to delivery. These bikes appreciate that.
Thanks, Lew. Your words ring true with me, and are derivatives of what I commonly tell my wife. Feels like the pot calling the kettle black, admittedly. That said, my concern stems purely from my lack of time these days. I just want quality time on the bike, and I'm debating about ditching my other street bike for a while. So this bike would be the go-to jack of all trades.

And yes, I agree. I don't think the PO ever touched the brake fluid. The front reservoir is orange and the rear is dark as hell. One of these nights I'll get around to it while doing the round robin on the routine new bike maintenance.

Like this one?
To the OP, looking into the exhaust port will tell you nothing, even if you could access the water side I would imagine the same. Not sure Harbor Freight sells them yet but ultrasonic thickness gaging could be useful if you remove the heads... Forget about it and ride. That said every time I start my new bike and the exhaust condenses my heart skips a beat until it clears...:(
Thanks. My thought was mainly if we had a photo of the head to see how access looks to the corroded area. Just wondering if a repair was possible to the area for those of us cheap bastards who waited for these awesome bikes to become more affordable.

That said, the bike looks great sitting on the lift right now. Even our son agrees.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Oh and again...thanks for your non judgmental words of wisdom. Feels like I called the ducaticide hotline, lol.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
AARP Reject
2,921 Posts
Looks great! Nice in white. The kid's cute too!

You wanna hear something insane? I bought a Lotus to go with my Ducati, both of which I bought new. Talk about sleepless nights! Actually, I love them both. Anybody can buy a Suzuki or a Corvette and nobody would blame them but some of us hear music that eludes others.

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."

·
Registered
835 Posts
1324 suggests Zundfolge which suggests BMW, but I'm guessing.

I love '10-'12 threads. Never enough of them here now that it's more fashionable to be fighting with the disappointing torque and horsepower curves on newer bikes. Because, the 10-12s are great rides, just as fast or faster than the new bikes, and sooo much cheaper. By the way, I'm one of the board philosophers. Just call me Lew.
I agree with you Lew, i love the first Multis (1200 series) i have my smooth 1290 to ride, and the Multi gives me a different vibe. As for 1324 worrying, its understandable i guess, he has a young family, and Ducati's have had a reputation, I'm in a position, children grown up, house paid off years ago, so my costs are my hobbies. So probably like you, theres no time to worry, but time to enjoy this unusual but great bike the 2010-2012 Multi.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Looks great! Nice in white. The kid's cute too!

You wanna hear something insane? I bought a Lotus to go with my Ducati, both of which I bought new. Talk about sleepless nights! Actually, I love them both. Anybody can buy a Suzuki or a Corvette and nobody would blame them but some of us hear music that eludes others.

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
I mean, it's stock in that photo, nothing new to see. But to my eyes, the 2010-2012's are the best looking. Just IMO, of course.

Lotus - nice! Exige or Elise?

·
North Carolina, USA
3,293 Posts
Like this one?
To the OP, looking into the exhaust port will tell you nothing, even if you could access the water side I would imagine the same. Not sure Harbor Freight sells them yet but ultrasonic thickness gaging could be useful if you remove the heads... Forget about it and ride. That said every time I start my new bike and the exhaust condenses my heart skips a beat until it clears...:(

yep...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Regarding that picture (thanks by the way), I'm struggling to see why the piston was removed and replaced. What am I missing?

·
AARP Reject
2,921 Posts
I mean, it's stock in that photo, nothing new to see. But to my eyes, the 2010-2012's are the best looking. Just IMO, of course.

Lotus - nice! Exige or Elise?
Evora 400. It's the only Lotus you can currently buy new in the USA. A new Elise is scheduled within the next 2 years.

Attachments

·
North Carolina, USA
3,293 Posts
Not my picture, but my pistons looked the same, and I'm pretty sure they weren't replaced. I was told that both heads, all valves, and the rear cylinder were replaced on my bike. I'm assuming that any damage to components other than the heads was from lack of lubrication, but I never discussed the exact damages with the tech. The engine ran better than it did new, so I figured he did a good job of it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Evora = awesome! I haven't even seen one yet...

As far as the piston is concerned, that makes some sense. I've been reading and couldn't tell if the issue was coolant leaking into the exhaust, coolant leaking into the oil, or both. Maybe yours was the latter.

If mine goes south, hopefully it's just the head!

·
Premium Member
12,102 Posts
I think Ducati sent most of all the "Junk" Multis to Australia!!!
Not funny right?

Sure we all want the best but there are no sure bets.
So many riders will complain about anything, or are sure there bike has to have something wrong with it and want it fixed now!

Looking for phantom flaws wastes time and riding enjoyment.
You may get your fill of unexpected woes without looking for them.
Looks good feels good sounds good, then you are GTG!
when things screw up, it is more important in how your dealer fixes it than that it screwed up.
The shops will rape your wallett if you let then! Be cool and ask MANY questions and get concise answers. Do not accept yeah we will look after you...
I have heard but am not sure if it is true is a good line to say to the service manager or better yet talk to the mechanic...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I think Ducati sent most of all the "Junk" Multis to Australia!!!
Not funny right?
That's an interesting comment, jest or not. My local dealer said they only had "A couple" with bad heads. Take that for what it's worth, of course.

I'm at relative peace now. Why? I've decided to simply keep another street bike in the stable

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
One last thing:
While you're at it, do the brake and clutch fluids unless you know the dealer did it prior to delivery. These bikes appreciate that.
Off topic for the thread, but since you initially brought it up...

No one told me this bike brews its own espresso!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I haven't. I ride about 10-15k per year, and I'm at over 6k now. Is failure imminent? Or can I want until the valves are due in less than a year? I'm at the 5-6 yr mark...

·
Registered
112 Posts
I haven't. I ride about 10-15k per year, and I'm at over 6k now. Is failure imminent? Or can I want until the valves are due in less than a year? I'm at the 5-6 yr mark...

What's the manufacture date of your bike? It's on a sticker on the right side frame. Mine is 2/2013. Book says 60 months or 15k miles. I take that as whichever comes first. If a belt lets go, it is catastrophic, IMHO not worth the gamble.
Cheers

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
9/2010.

I've owned enough cars with timing belts to hate them. Ugh. Thanks, Ducati. Looks like I'll be taking the bloody bike back apart :|

I guess I'll do the valves early. Yay.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts