Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case you haven't seen yet, great article in the latest Cycle World featuring our carbies. Better still, by none other than Peter Egan. Great stuff.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Saw that last night, well written, have to say the new mag is pretty nice but that was the only article that caught my eye before going to bed.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
The new format is more like a coffee table book than a newstand magazine.
Guess I like it. Glad they still have Kevin Cameron.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Please don't flame me for asking this question.....so if I go to my local grocery store's magazine section and see a Cycle World mag it'll contain this article? Am I'm buying the May or June '18 printing??

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Please don't flame me for asking this question.....so if I go to my local grocery store's magazine section and see a Cycle World mag it'll contain this article? Am I'm buying the May or June '18 printing??
Issue 2. Has a bitchen Indian on the cover. Looks like a dirt tracker.
US cover price $11.99. There are only 4 issues a year now. 0:)

·
Registered
166 Posts
love it--- wonder if the extra eyeballs it gets will make it more sought after - thus increasing value? So many have been cut up and made into custom rides- I often wonder how many good examples still exist. I was showing my 92' and 96' to someone who knew nothing about bikes and he thought the value had to be around 30k each cause they are so pretty.. lol. I have to agree- when i look at them i'm shocked they aren't worth more. But who cares- i just ride em.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was a little concerned about the change (I love CW, along with MCN). It's definitely higher quality, but I was fearful of uppity artsy stuff (I want to read about motorcycles, dammit). This article quickly put those concerns to rest. :)

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Finished reading through it and was impressed with many of the history articles, not just an advertising showcase of R1's,M1's and any other one's...
Husky single article was not bad for a new piece.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I can't make out the words, what does it say about the bike?
Says, they were and are freaking awesome. Of course. >:)

The story on the Indian was interesting, good article and pics. Kevin Cameron is great at making complex tech thing understandable. If you subscribe am pretty sure it is a lot less than $12 per issue. :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks for the tip! Went out and bought my copy. Hope the "upscale" move allows them to survive as there are times I enjoy reading a "hard copy".
I have a copy of the July 1991 issue with the 900 SS test and it was that article that prompted me to start thinking about buying a 900 SS. I'd had a 860 bevel back in the day - it was heavy, solid and sounded great with the Conti's. In 1994 I was given an ISP assignment in Zürich and that was what I needed to try and make it happen.I wrote Cagiva re where I might find one and Bruce Fairey wrote me back suggesting that MCC in Chicago had one. I called them from CH and Geoff Mellinger told me they had sold all their 1994's but had just received their first 1995. So, I made arrangements to buy it and have it flown over. It certainly was his first as it's plate reads 001.
Peter Egan is also one of my fav. bike writers - I have both of his "Leanings" books to prove it.
Good luck to them and let's hope they make it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,173 Posts
I guess we get to see how many people read cycleworld as it is these type of articles that often ramp up interest in a particular item. A good time to make sure you have the Carby SS items you want before the hording starts.

·
Bon Vivant
11,303 Posts
Frankly its the same ol stuff from Peter Egan which I suppose for many readers is a good thing. He's been drooling over and trading 900SS's for years. What next? a Norton Commando article? :wink2:
I'll admt that the new Cycle World is a really good new magazine. But its a new magazine and in no way replaces the original CW. Unfortunately I had a need and desire for the old style mag and have none for this new, relatively expensive coffee table book. In my opinion Cycle World is dead and buried... and I will miss it.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I always really enjoyed Australian Motorcycle News and back in the day used to have the magazine posted to the U.S. When technology made it possible I subscribed to the iPad version for a while. They had a fun approach to motorcycling that wasn't all about getting your knee onto the pavement, and Alan Cathcart would provide tests of interesting sport and race bikes. I know they have changed publishers a few times, but I think it is still around if folks are interested in a different perspective.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I admit I have enjoyed Peter Egan's writing and lifestyle over the years. So much so that I have modeled my life and writing after him. To wit:

"As I unplugged my '59 Les Paul Burst from my Dumble amp signed by Howard, I knew I had a important decision to make: since I was going to be working in the Italian section of my 15,000 sq/ft shop, should I uncork a bottle of Barolo or go with the Amarone della Valpolicella? Barb had cooked my favorite Osso Bucco recipe last night and it put me in the mood to wax the fairings on my Ducati 900SS/SP. I went with the Barolo; save the Amarone for one of those freezing Wisconsin nights when I need to rebuild the engine of my Drum brake Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport.
As a caressed the sensuous curves of the 900 and her blood Red body, I couldn't help but wonder: is it really true that the rearview mirrors were taken from a Alfa Romeo? This question has kept me up nights, and since I had just taken delivery of a pristine '73 GTV that afternoon I decided to make the swap. Over to the Snap On rollaway box...."

My apologies Mr. Egan. Funny thing when I obtained my 05 999S Nero on New Years Day, I thought I would be selling my 96 SP. I posted about it and the overwhelming opinion was don't sell. So right. I love them both for different reasons, however the 900 won't be going anywhere ever. Way too much Soul!

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Thanks for the tip! Went out and bought my copy. Hope the "upscale" move allows them to survive as there are times I enjoy reading a "hard copy".
I have a copy of the July 1991 issue with the 900 SS test and it was that article that prompted me to start thinking about buying a 900 SS. I'd had a 860 bevel back in the day - it was heavy, solid and sounded great with the Conti's. In 1994 I was given an ISP assignment in Zürich and that was what I needed to try and make it happen.I wrote Cagiva re where I might find one and Bruce Fairey wrote me back suggesting that MCC in Chicago had one. I called them from CH and Geoff Mellinger told me they had sold all their 1994's but had just received their first 1995. So, I made arrangements to buy it and have it flown over. It certainly was his first as it's plate reads 001.
Peter Egan is also one of my fav. bike writers - I have both of his "Leanings" books to prove it.
Good luck to them and let's hope they make it.
I could not have written a better response! I finally found a copy at Barnes & Noble. I have a martini nearby and will sip and read.....:)

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've given up on Motor Cyclist (two words, these days) and Cycle World. Bonnier has single-handedly destroyed the American motorcycle magazine industry.

Three or four issues a year? $11.99 cover price? No, thank you.

After a 4-5 year absence, I just re-started my subscription to Roadracing World and Motorcycle Technology, who are wisely covering a wider cross-section of motorcycling, now that sport bikes are declining.

And I am subscribing to Bike, from GB. Yes, shipping across the pond makes it about $7 per issue, but at least I get 12 issues packed full of interesting, well-written content.

If you are interested in a digital subscription, you can save some money. But I grew up holding a bike magazine in my hands and enjoying it. Doing the same on a screen is detached, impersonal, and unsatisfying.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I kinda like the new Cycle World. Also get Motorcycle Consumer News, they are ad free and the best. :grin2:

I miss Cycle News in the mail 50 weeks out of 52.
A web site is not the same at all.
RIP, you other MC rags and mags that died in the last few years too.
Sport Rider, Free2Wheel, etc. :crying:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts