Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My May Cycle World just came. It has sort of a "retro" theme with Triumph Scrambler on the cover and article about the Norton 961 Commando inside. The PS is featured on page 52! :D

There are many favorable comments . . . not too much concern about the "aggressive" riding position . . . and not much negative. (They also wish for 4 pot brakes but say that the stock brakes do a pretty good job.)

And they have "Photoshoped" a way cool California Hot Rod 1000 on page 56. That bike has the Termi's exiting the frame on both sides - like the original!

One more thing - This is for the Sport 1000 fan who was giving me grief some time back - Here's how Mark Hoyer sums it up:

"But the coolest part with the Smart is more than looks and sounds - the best part is riding. In terms of experience, while Ducati was looking to evoke the 1970's, what it has ended up with is a bike that feels much more like the true successor to the sweet mid-90's 900SS, combining the classic Ducati air-cooled Twin with modern sportbike capabilities in a way the current Supersport 1000 doesn't."

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Owning a mid-90s SS SP, I'll go along with that. My Sport 1000s fuel injection just makes it a much smoother, refined engine. Both are a blast to ride!

·
Registered
131 Posts
geospencer said:
"But the coolest part with the Smart is more than looks and sounds - the best part is riding. In terms of experience, while Ducati was looking to evoke the 1970's, what it has ended up with is a bike that feels much more like the true successor to the sweet mid-90's 900SS, combining the classic Ducati air-cooled Twin with modern sportbike capabilities in a way the current Supersport 1000 doesn't."

:rolleyes:
I also own a 2003 SS1000DS and I can say that my PS sounds, feels, handles, and rides a big notch up from my SS1000.

I told my dealer I wish he could tune my SS to run as smooth as the PS and he commented that the new 1000DS engine has been refined quite a bit since my first year 2003 1000 engine.

I didn't expect to find much difference between the Showa's on the SS and the OHLINS on the PS but it is noticably more refinded. They are much better dampened. I can also feel the steering geometry difference, the PS has a little more rake I think and I like that.

Riding position is good for me on the PS for my intended use, the SS has cycle cat risers for a little less weight on the wrists, but the feel of the PS in the stock configuration is just sweet. I have decided not to change it because I don't want to loose the feel of the bike as it is and I can tell the SS dosn't respond the same with risers.

There is NO doubt which one I would rather look at.

There is no doubt which one will still be in my barn 10 years from now, Lord willing.

I bought the PS for several reasons, but none of them were because I thought I would get a better running, better handling bike. The fact that it does run better, start easier, ride smoother, and handles better is all icing on the cake.

cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts