Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now MotoGP is looking at various ways that they can cut costs so that they can make the racing more affordable and bring more bikes to the grid. Current rumor has FB Corse potentially entering an 800cc triple along with Hayate running Yamaha engines in their own chassis while the engine leasing program is said to run 700,000 euros for one engine per season.
So what would you do if the decisions were up to you? How would you try and cut costs and get more bikes to the grid?

First thing I would do is allow different engine configurations. Allow 700cc two-stroke engines to run alongside the 800cc four strokes and 800cc rotary engines. The two strokes would provide a cheaper alternative for the smaller teams to build develop and run than their high revving four stroke brethren and with the current electronic rider aids they may compete with the more tractable four strokes. Allowing rotaries would potentially bring in other manufacturers such as Mazda to build motors for a third party team.
I would allow turbochargers/superchargers with an RPM limitation and/or restrictors or boost limiters. One of the biggest costs on these engines comes from the valve train operating at astronomical revs. Supercharging is a significantly cheaper way to make power than trying to get an engine to rev to 18 or 19,000RPM and survive any length of time. I would also keep engine restrictions in place to limit the number of engines used throughout the season which would force the engine manufacturers to build the engines robust enough to last.

What do you think? What would your solution be?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
sounds good... bring back the strokers.....

·
Registered
989 Posts
Every manager from every team can walk down pit lane between qual and race and 'BUY' and same manufacturers enging straight of the race bike for 150 000 euro. no trade backs and only one buy per entrant per race.

so Pramac can go to corse and say "Here's the money.. please remove kallios(?) engine now..."

seen that in lawn mower racing ( not the 150 000 euro) so no-one goes and blows thousands of dollars on an engine that some-one else might buy for 250 during a race meeting.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Every manager from every team can walk down pit lane between qual and race and 'BUY' and same manufacturers enging straight of the race bike for 150 000 euro. no trade backs and only one buy per entrant per race.

so Pramac can go to corse and say "Here's the money.. please remove kallios(?) engine now..."

seen that in lawn mower racing ( not the 150 000 euro) so no-one goes and blows thousands of dollars on an engine that some-one else might buy for 250 during a race meeting.
There was a lot of this "buying" action going on in AMA during the 80's, I remembered the incident involved KR's TZ750, and another one was in 90's involved Ohlins forks from Mladin's Yoshi bike.

·
Registered
442 Posts
As Rossi once stated bring back the throttle cable (keep what ever electronics as a piggyback system only). Bring back the 990 engine with the only restriction being the amount of engines per year and fuel load (this would keep the manufacturers from pushing the engines to hard - costs). Stay with a control spec tire system. Allow more scheduled tests but with a engine and tire limit. Put a salary cap on the riders (if they can bring in more money for themselves through outside sponsors that would be fine). This would bring the better riders up and allow the manufactorers to excercise their abilities.

Jerry
04 ST4s

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
Cutting costs - nuke the electronics. That alone would make a huge difference in equipment and personnel. Leave the rest alone and wait a year then look forcing the factories to sell/lease more equipment. That will actually help their costs because the more they make the less per unit it costs.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cutting costs - nuke the electronics. That alone would make a huge difference in equipment and personnel. Leave the rest alone and wait a year then look forcing the factories to sell/lease more equipment. That will actually help their costs because the more they make the less per unit it costs.
I don't think the electronics are a big expense in the grand scheme of things. It isn't something that wears out and needs replacing, and the chips and all that are off the shelf components. I would think that the electronics are probably in the chassis or suspension price range.
As far as the selling or leasing more equipment, I don' think that they make enough engines/components for the economies of scale to really kick in. We arent talking going from 100 engines per year to 100,000 like a production engine which would have a significant impact on cost it would be more like going to 150 engines which would probably result in a trivial savings for the factories.

·
Registered
989 Posts
increase the number of apprentices working on the teams.. Allow teams 2 mechanics, a team manager and 2 apprentices..

*raises hand*
I'm old but I'm enthusiastic..

·
Registered
15 Posts
When I think of MotoGP I think of the pinnacle of motorcycle racing technology. Obviously this can't be done on a strict budget. They should try to keep costs down where possible to use the money they have efficiently. But they should be placing the same, if not more, focus on bringing in more money to the sport.

I kind of like the idea of using many different kinds of engine configurations and even displacements, but I think what might make it more interesting is limiting the horsepower and weight so it depends on how the motor makes the power.

I don't agree with a spec tire rule because I don't think that encourages development as much as possible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts