Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to cut a wind screen? I have a fabri racing screen for my 748 and its a little taller than i want it too be. I was thinking about just sawing off a strip along the top but i'm worried that sawing the material will cause it to crack. Any ideas? The screen is made of PMMA cast thermoformed acrylic.

thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'd try heating a utility knife blade with a torch and slicing it through.. I did this for another plastic piece I was cutting for an airbox that was at least 1/8" thick and it went through with a little pressure. Don't get it glowing red hot, but pretty hot.

After cutting it, I gently hit the edge with the torch and it smoothed it up nicely. Or if you have a rubber strip to lay on the edge like Puig's come with, that will cover the cut.

Maybe find something to practice on first to see if you like it?

At any rate, a hacksaw will probably work too. Fine teeth like that should prevent cracking.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have used belt and disc sanders on acrylic aircraft windshields with great results.

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
Moved from Hall of Wisdom.

//amullo

·
Demotivational Member
1,603 Posts
Tape off where you want to cut & use a high speed cutting wheel, I used a air wheel. Came out looking like factory. Cut a ZG tinted screen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts