Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's finished. Need to throw a little paint on it, but what do you think?

This setup allows me to load the bike by myself, safely and quickly, and carry several Rubbermaid totes of stuff along the sides of the trailer since I won't have any tiedowns reaching across to the sides of the trailer.

I have some new tiedowns coming Thursday that I'm pretty excited about. They look perfect.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/pro-taper-tie-down-straps

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
The only thing I would add is some sort of a deflector to protect your bike from flung up road debris.

I went with an enclosed trailer for that reason. The custom set up I used, bolts to the floor of the trailer, through the steel cross beams. It uses the hollow axles on the bikes being loaded to hold them down, allowing them to ride on their own suspension.

I found this better than compressing the suspension with tie downs. My trailer is probably the same floor size as yours, and can hold up to 3 bikes securely. I know for a fact the set up I have will work, as we used it to haul 3 bikes from California to Indy and back for the inaugural MotoGP race there in '08..............sean

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only thing I would add is some sort of a deflector to protect your bike from flung up road debris.

I went with an enclosed trailer for that reason. The custom set up I used, bolts to the floor of the trailer, through the steel cross beams. It uses the hollow axles on the bikes being loaded to hold them down, allowing them to ride on their own suspension.

I found this better than compressing the suspension with tie downs. My trailer is probably the same floor size as yours, and can hold up to 3 bikes securely. I know for a fact the set up I have will work, as we used it to haul 3 bikes from California to Indy and back for the inaugural MotoGP race there in '08..............sean
I'll look into that.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something, have you fixed both the front and rear wheel chock in place? How would you handle towing a motorcycle with a shorter/longer wheelbase?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The front chock is bolted in place.
The rear chock is welded in place.

The rear chock is basically just meant to keep the back wheel from moving side to side. I didn't really even want need the front pin on it. The rear pin is just an extra safety feature (doubt it will ever need to keep the motorcycle from rolling backwards) and to keep the vertical plates up. If I need to tow my monster, my 916, or any other bike, I can simply drill another hole in the vertical plates.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts