Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently performed some maintance on my 748 and had to order some tools for changing out by belts. Did some research on cam holding tools specific for my 748, which have the ST heads, and found serveral tools that were made from plastic. I was looking for something more precision made and found one on DesmoTimes web site that looked good. So I ordered the tool on the 12th of January. January 21st I had no confirmation of shipping so I sent an e-mail asking if it had shipped yet?
Response: Ray evidently you didn't see the message on my website that I was out of
town on military duty until today. Your order will ship tomorrow due to
holiday

Strike one, nothing was on his web site stating any kind of delay due to vacation or whatever.

The package finally came and what I received was not what was advertised on the web site. The web site advertised an aluminum presision made tool for holding the cam pulleys while I changed the belts..what I received was a 3D home printed plastic tool, precisely what I did not want considering I pass on all the other web site that were selling them for this one, which as advertised, was an aluminum tool.

So I sent an e-mail describing my concern and that I was going to try it anyway to see if it would work, and the response was not, oh, let me make this right and send you what you actually ordered, no.......

Resonse: Ray it's designed to fit with the intake cam lined up with the proper mark.
Your picture has it offset.

Strike two. I sent him another photo showing ALL my marks were dead on. The photos I sent are below. At this point I was still ok with keeping the part but the fact he was giving me an issue was starting to irritate me.

Resonse: Manufacturers go out of business more frequently than I can track. This is
the 3rd vendor of the item. I've been selling that vendor's tools for the
past year for the ST and haven't had any problems.

Strike three, Honestly I don’t care how many venders you have gone through or who goes out of business. You are advertising a tool ( for $24) that you sell on your web site and what I received was not as advertised. Photos don’t lie.

He told me to send it back. Now I have to take time out of my life for his failure to provide good customer support/satisfaction. Now my fault for taking so long to send it back, I travel a lot and am out of the country often. So when I got around to returning it at his request, he now refuses to refund my money.

Between our exchange of e-mails and the return he has taken down any link not only to the tool but also any link to the use of the tool and the procedures of belt replacement.

Stand behind your product and what you sell. And more importantly don't argue with a customer about your faulty products.

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
Sorry to hear of your experience.
I have done business with LT Snyder a number of times and each and every one has been utterly excellent.

Doesn't mean he can't have a bad day, and sorry it worked out that way.

Another vendor I have had good luck with is Herman-- HDESA on eBay. I believe he manufactures his own tools. Not sure if he has the one in question, but if he does, give him a try. He is in CA, so at least nominally local to you.

And please let us know how it works out.

Best, Rich

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Sorry to hear of your experience.
I have done business with LT Snyder a number of times and each and every one has been utterly excellent.

Doesn't mean he can't have a bad day, and sorry it worked out that way.

Another vendor I have had good luck with is Herman-- HDESA on eBay. I believe he manufactures his own tools. Not sure if he has the one in question, but if he does, give him a try. He is in CA, so at least nominally local to you.

And please let us know how it works out.

Best, Rich
I have made a few purchases from HDSEA and the tools are of good quality it has been
my experience that you get better service from his e-bay store than his web site. The
only issue I had was with a purchase made form his web site after 2 weeks I contacted
him and he said he never saw the order even though he had been paid by paypal, that
has never happened with e-bay purchases.

·
Registered
414 Posts
There are going to be many people who have ordered from DesmoTimes without issue, and threads like this are where they will line up to sound off. But it's pretty obvious the guy has a customer service issue. When the conditions are right, his true colors will show through.

This kind of dealing is not something that should be hidden away from public and kept private. Thanks for the heads up.

my experience that you get better service from his e-bay store than his web site.
The interesting thing about buying from Ebay is that Ebay will jump all over sellers who don't make their buyers completely happy. What you say is true for just about any sale on Ebay vs the web. You get it shipped faster, less screwups and overall better service on Ebay. The downside - usually more expensive.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im still working on the issue with DesmoTimes. I understand things happen and we all have bad days, but my issues is the attitude from the start and ,again my fault for waiting so long to send it back, but his refusal to refund my money after he received the tool back. With that said it's a life lesson I guess.

I have ordered from HDESA before on other tools and it all worked out. For my Cam holding tool I did find what I wanted, an aluminum precision tool, fromPodiumracingonline and it was only $9.

It fit like a glove and worked perfect. Unfortunately I didn't get a photo of it in use before I put the bike back together.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts