Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I was thinking. google retro SBK and check out his work.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How did you follow the build? Website?

·
Bon Vivant
11,245 Posts
freezer, He has changed the exhaust since his build. The current exhaust is a modded full Termi - it certainly has a Termi muffler.

The mods he's done are not to my taste but I applaud the work.

Here's his aircleaner mod: remove the airfilter and Grease the inside of the airbox to "trap" dust...
Yeah, and right after sending the engine out for special pistons, crank, and head work. Not the most intelligent route IMO. :think:

And was all that frame bracing and swing-arm modification really necessary?
Seems like a lot of work for so very little pay-off. (if any?)

I love most of Keneficks work, but his streetfighter is just nasty. :alien:

·
Banned
2,888 Posts
Ha ha. Yeah he did change it. It looks better now. That is probably one of the reasons the article was so slow to get to print.
This was shown at Laguna with a rattle can paintjob, everything else was cool, but the paint was kind of shocking for such a nice build. I hate to sound negative on what was a lot of hard work and time invested, but I would never show something that made my efforts look cheap.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I do like what he has done to the engine & the exhaust, but the head covers & handlebar clamp painted red.....Looks like pimp my Duke ..
And as for no belt covers how shit is that.

I like mods that are done tastefully & still enable the bike to be ridden like it should. It would last 5 miles over here with no covers on before some stone flew in it & blew it to fuck

To spend 10 grand on bolts, mod the swingarm & frame & then leave it like that is just plain daft.

Imagine 175bhp at full tilt & a fuckin stone jams the belts.....No thanks

·
Bon Vivant
11,245 Posts
This was shown at Laguna with a rattle can paintjob, everything else was cool, but the paint was kind of shocking for such a nice build.
You hit the nail on the head - the paint looks like crap! and the rest of the mods, well they just made it look - amateur.
The frame and engine mods may have made it run and ride better, but the over-all impression was not positive.
(Yes, I saw it at Laguna)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Thanks for the props on the bike... A couple of things..

The paint was our idea, as I have never seen a satin red bike before, and was applied by Airtrix, bar none the best painter in the biz... Look to his helmets for samples. He paints all of our bikes, and I figured we had flashy covered with the Rainey and Yosh tributes with crushed glass in the paint. Ill be sure t pass on the rattle can comment tho, that’s just awesome! Bike is still satin red, and is going to stay that way.

The Exhaust... ohhh the exhaust... Understand that when we got this bike, it was still 2 months from being released. I built the Leo system out of 141 pieces of tubing and a lot of time... It made KILLER hp (combined with the Desmoto Sport engine) but Ducati wasn’t very happy with having it on the bike as they don’t sell Leo, they sell Termi. We returned from Laguna, removed the system, and waited… and waited, and waited.. Ducati sent us the very first Termi Full system that was released. Got it, fitted it, and hated it (the mufflers were in the stock location, and the bigger tubing looks kinda goofy) so I cut off the bottom portion, and made a merged collector, bent some tubing, and welded it together, ending up with the example shown in Cycle World. IMO, the Leo system looks better, and on the dyno, it works better, although the bike is just friggin stupid to ride. Its not a motorcycle, it’s a uni-cycle…

The open belt covers… LOL.. With Affari Seri we are 4500 miles into it, and no issues yet. My previous Duc’s have covered more than 100k (in total) with no issues. BMW uses it for final drive as does HD, and they don’t have issues. The belt is single filament Kevlar, and I don’t think a rock would be an issue anyways. A steel pole, maybe, but then who cares. And just to be clear, the entire mounting bosses for the belt covers have been machined off, so the entire belt is exposed.

If you don’t like it, kewl, I guess you have to understand the philosophy that goes into our bikes… It has to GO. I’m just not a bolt it on and it’s a custom sorta guy, not detracting for the guys that are, just saying. This bike did ten track days this year, and will do about 30 next year, and I beat the PISS out of it every time I get on it. THAT’S the goal. Totally clean, I don’t do flash, if the bike is well done, it doesn’t need it. That’s why so much time went into the swingarm, and the frame…

To me, the stock bike just looked far to “busy” I look at a bike and try to figure out the industrial quality and the organic quality. A paramount to the Ducati’s industrial-ness is the belts and clutch rolling around on the side of the engine. The bike stock is cluttered, busy, a mess. It has a “matrix” like quality to it in that there are wires and lines and stuff going everywhere. I don’t see that as industrial or organic. Affari Seri is pure function, with form following. Everything has a cause, a purpose, yet I didn’t want to throw on the same bits as every other guy out there, CF wheel and CF this and that. This bike was built when there were NO parts, nada, we hand made every piece, from the frame rework, to the swingarm braces, to the exhaust, to the Steering damper mount. We are selling those pieces, but that wasn’t the point. It was to do it… To show how the bike SHOULD have been built, clean, organic, industrial.

·
IHMC Est. 2010
2,017 Posts
Nice to hear from you Ken :). You should have originally posted the build process here. Pretty sure this is the most active Streetfighter forum going.

·
Bon Vivant
11,245 Posts
To show how the bike SHOULD have been built, clean, organic, industrial.
as I said in a previous post I love most of your bikes (the ones that I've seen publicized anyhow).
I'd give a left nut for that Suzuki.

But this one is nasty. I certainly think you are wrong that your interpretation is how it "should have been built".
Why take your vision away from yourself? It's your vision not Damien Bassets or Ducati's.

Good for you for going the extra mile but the paint still looks like crap and it makes the whole bike look bad.

But hey, I'm bucking the current "industrial, rat, greaser," trend. I'm a rebel that way...
I like my things to look clean neat and finished, like someone worked on it with care.
Your bike looks like you stopped paining at the primer stage and didn't give a shit.

To each his own, you're just following the current trend, can't fault you for that...
But that is not how it should have been built.

Good Luck

(PS: organic your bike is not. Organic to me is the shape of a 999 or a late SS. Don't see that in your bike - thankfully)

·
Bon Vivant
11,245 Posts
opinions aside (and that is what we have here - opinions)

I hope you will post up some pics of you bike in the SF picture thread.
It would be an honour to have your bike pictured along with some of the other incredible builds.

Most notable are the Motowheels and Shift Tech bikes.

The commercial builds such as yours show what can be done with unlimited budgets and skilled help
but there are some non-commercial bikes on there as well that are super nice.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Retro, any plan to produce a mid-pipe for a single exhaust? Also, what did you use for an ECU? Great bike, don't forget Carbon fiber is Italian chrome.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Thanks guys..

Unlimited budget I wish... LOL! Ill see what I can dig up about pics.. Where should I send them?

The MW and S-T bikes are awesome.. I was sent a link to this site, and whats where I saw them completed.. Very nice work guys! I would love to be included with that company!

Bulldog, No greaser here.. The cars we build have an A/FX - Match racer feel.. The ratrod thing is a couple years passe anyhow, but the idea was to tone down the harsh lines.. thats why the bike flows so much better than stock... Guess I need to look to your work to show me the way, where can I see some?

Freezer - I would have loved to posted them here, Didnt know about the site til just yesterday.. I work about a hundred hours a week, so not a lot of time for posting...

Mojo, We really arent a production shop, but can scratch build pretty much anything needed Ill look into building a simple midpipe.. We are using the DP ecu that comes with the full system, wishing for the Nemesis unit tho. I will most likely piggyback a PC3 to get the fueling better.. the merged collector outflows the stock exhust by a bunch and causes a bit of a harsh throttle

Will

·
IHMC Est. 2010
2,017 Posts
LOL! Ill see what I can dig up about pics.. Where should I send them?

Freezer - I would have loved to posted them here, Didnt know about the site til just yesterday.. I work about a hundred hours a week, so not a lot of time for posting...

Will
Send the pics to the Streetfighter Pics thread right on the top of the Streetfighter forum. It is a 'sticky thread' that will fremain up top of the forum.

I would have given you a link at the other site where I was following your build but thought it would be poor form.

Aaron

1 - 20 of 40 Posts