Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the group but I currently have a strong running 900ss that I tore down wanting to make a whole new bike (not that the bike wasn't awesome... Just want to suit my tastes a bit.)

Looking for seat ideas with the angle of the frame at seat and tank its really difficult to fit custom tanks or seats any photos/ideas would really be appreciated thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
You could make a tank that fits over the frame instead of on top, then do the same with the seat tail section, to alter the upper frame line. That’s assuming you’re trying to straighten the frame top line. You’d have a seat that was a little thicker in front to keep that in line, more to a classic cafe style. I could see it with a Manx style alloy tank and seat. There would still be enough frame showing to identify it as a Ducati.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I'm trying to straighten it out. Wish it were almost flat. Going for a strong cafe look. I'll look into the alloy tanks. Maybe just my opinion but a single saddle springer seat would look so good if done right. You would probably have to take the entire frame section from motor mount/shock mount location back

Then probably Fab a bracket shee

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why is this?
I have found an old pantah racer tank that will rest lower than my frame tubes. Now for just the seat... Many many options.. and I think monster frames have even more of a radical angle

[/quote]

Should have sold it and started with a Monster.

imho
.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,731 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do like the scrambler pictures but this is the bike I have so I'm rolling with it. There are so many nice 900ss builds out there. I'm just trying to make that happen lol

·
Registered
187 Posts
Everyone does with his bike what he wants to do with it but my heart bleeds every time an SS is torn apart to fabricate a cafe racer or some custom build bike.
And I have many reasons for that.

-I have not seen many good looking SS-based cafe racers. Yes, there are some but most of these garage-builds are not my cup off tea.
-There a bikes that are way more suitable to use as a base to build a cafe racer. If it has to be a Ducati, I would say a Monster or a Scrambler. If Ducati is not a 'must', the options are endless.
-I think the fairing (especcialy the full fairing) on the SS is one of the most beautiful motorcycle fairing ever created. I don't see myself (or most motorcycle enthousiasts) as better designers than the ones that created the SS. Like I don't wanna buy a Rubens painting and buy a pencil and some paint to "enhance" it.
-I am a great fan off the old SS. Every SS that is torn apart to build a cafe racer (or even worse; to sell as parts) is one less SS on the road.

On the other hand: the more SS's are used to tear apart, the more rare mine becomes. Which makes my bike more valuable every time one is torn apart.
>:)

So I would not be able to give you advice how to turn an SS into a great looking custom build bike. My only suggestion would be; don't start with an SS.

If you really want to start with an SS, I wish you all the luck and sincerely hope that your build is gonna be a succes.
Keep us posted!!

(but please, do me a favor a think about the SS-choice one more time)
:wink2:

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Why is this?
I have found an old pantah racer tank that will rest lower than my frame tubes. Now for just the seat... Many many options.. and I think monster frames have even more of a radical angle
Should have sold it and started with a Monster.

imho
.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

An old Pantah tank won't fit over your frame rails. Have you looked at how wide the SS frame is compared to an old Pantah frame?

A Monster is already halfway there to being a "cafe" bike. And there were 5 Monsters sold for every SS built in the '90s. Lots more aftermarket parts available for them. Even aftermarket fuel tanks.

Like BelgianDuc said, I haven't seen any good looking SS "builds" that have strayed away from the original purpose of an SS...to be a simple, light, torquey, good handling road bike.

Kids with hacksaws haven't impressed me in the last 15 years. A short, stubby seat, some cloth exhaust wrap and an oversized front tire that facks up the handling is hardly an impressive looking vehicle.

But maybe you're different...maybe you have a good idea that will actually enhance the looks and operation of an SS. Maybe you'll surprise us with a good looking bike when you're done.

Maybe it won't be an ugly POS like this...

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Different doesn’t equal better. I bought an SS because I like the SS . It is a dated style, but to me that’s some of the charm. I’m old enough to realize that you can update the appearance of an old motorcycle, but styling will keep moving forward and changing. Pretty soon it’s looking dated again. I do like modified SS bikes, but my personal rule is not to do anything that can’t be undone and keep the stock parts in case you or the next owner wants a stock bike. But, it’s yours, I wouldn’t try to talk you out of it. It can only make the remaining stock ones more valuable .

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Agreed agreed. I have all the original parts yes. And hey yeah I might have been one of those kids with a hacksaw back in the day. I'm 22 but no I don't half ass anything 5th axis machinist as a career path. And I like things done the right way every time. Now doesn't this catch the eye? The 900ss is a gorgeous bike. The most gorgeous I think.... I just want to get it out of it's shell a little that's all

Attachments

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Someone spent a lot of time to adapt the rear swingarm from a 999 over to a 600/750 SS. And a custom rear sub frame. And a pair of spoked rims that are worth more than the whole bike.

Looks like a Monster with an SS tank on it now. Wrong lines with an unsectioned tank.

Just an ugly little bobber. Nothing cafe about it.

------------------

This actually qualifies as a cafe bike, even though it's not my style. Someone spent a lot of time/money on it to make it smooth and sleek. That tank is r-e-a-l expensive, since it's a custom, one of one...made to fit over the frame rails.

(I hate the pedestrian slicer on the front fender.)

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of the semi customs, with the tiny seat, or just some chopped bobber tail. My vibe for these years of bikes, is just to update where it makes sense, to modernize where it makes sense. The SS Rearsets look massive, ugly and heavy. The BiPostos rear seat area is a disaster. The side view mirrors, IMO, look super dated with the rubber joint covers. I think there are ways to update the bike, and keep it the exact same bike that Ducati had in mind back in the day.

Clean up those rear sets.
Shitcan those ugly mirrors
Tighten up that ass
Tuck those pipes up high
Box section swing-arm is pretty cheap looking in 2019

These are my favorite SS customs.

For the tail, the Yellow CR is using a tail that I think comes out of Germany, it's styled after the 888. Just a little bit tighter, smaller and cleaner, doesn't offend the original design concepts at all.

Check out those 1000ds swingarms in matte black....sooooo...clean. Doesn't change a single thing other than make the bike look better.

I love the look of the fairing without any integrated turn signals. That was probably seen as some incredibly innovative idea back then, but I just don't think they look good. If you got a CR, there has to be a nice cleaner way.

The fairing also looks great without the big square headlight but I haven't seen any options on this that look better than factory. I wonder if there is a mode modern "projector" style headlight that would fit in without much help. Maybe you could set the headlight back just a tiny bit, and keep it covered up and off for most use.

Anyways....<3 SS and they don't have a single line that makes them suitable for a good cafe. the SS is like an X, and you want a parallelogram for a cafe bike. There is even a subtle CHEATER mold line on the Ducati Sport Classics to emulate the vibe of a single horizontal spine, front to back...which the bike can't have because of the "X" frame shapes. I only recently noticed this cheeky cheater design element on my own bike while washing it. I had always seen the seam, but wasn't thinking what it accomplished.

Attachments

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,190 Posts
For the tail, the Yellow CR is using a tail that I think comes out of Germany, it's styled after the 888.
Yep that sure looks like the DK Mono seat assembly from Ducati Kaemna in Germany. Pic 1.

I love the look of the fairing without any integrated turn signals. If you got a CR, there has to be a nice cleaner way.
There is a way Eric. Get a pair of Airtech turn signal covers and paint them up to match the rest of the fairings. Pic 2.

Then install a pair of programmable Proton flush mount marker light/turn signals. Pic 3.

I've got a pair of them installed on my RC51. Small,stylish,unobtrusive,and super bright. Pic 4.

The fairing also looks great without the big square headlight but I haven't seen any options on this that look better than factory.
Well I don't know about that,forum member Gajus makes a two piece twin cateye head light fairing panel (Pic 5) that bolts right in to the existing bodywork and it's designed to use modern projector head lights. It significantly updates the look of the bike without straying all that far from the original styling. Pic 6.

Back to topic. Good Luck on that Cafe Racer project DKT.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Erics75218 - thanks man you have me the information I was looking for now does anyone know where I can get "aftermarket" fairings? I really like the red white and green ones but they are nearly impossible to find

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
stoshmonster - aftermarket fairings in pic #6 look damn good that bike in general is swwwweeeetttttt

·
Registered
750 Posts

This is possibly the most hideous bike I have ever seen and that would include all the horrific "bike" disasters that were "built", I mean assembled, by Orange County Choppers. An unconscionable waste of the lovely bike it started life as. Other than possibly being a little lighter in weight, how in any sane world is that bike better than this...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts