Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After putting 1,000 miles on the hyper, it was evident the seat needed to change. After looking at pre-made options -- DP Performance Seat, DP Comfort Seat and the Sargent Seat, I decided to go with a local craftsman that does custom seats. Don Weber at Mr Ed's Moto in Albany Oregon. He's been perfecting his craft over 40 years.

The price was very competitive to the Sargent option. I arrived at his shop at 9am and the process started. Deconstructing and modifying the stock foam and then building up in the right shape to keep the hips aligned right. At the end of the reconstruction, I picked the materials and worked out the overall design with Don.

Link to the photo slideshow

At the end of the day, I left with a new custom seat and quite happy with the experience. Now -- to put on another 1,000 miles that will be much easier than the first.

·
Registered
143 Posts
looks great. im very impressed.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Cool slide show! thanks. Felt like watching Discovery Channel! ( at the office whiich makes it 10 times better !! ) :D
Seat looks comfy!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Very nicely photographed. You must be a shooter by trade, or a very good amateur.

And that seat looks amazing! WAY better looking than a Sargent... I wonder if he would do one sight unseen? Just copy exactly what you got... I have a spare seat I could send up to him. :think:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very nicely photographed. You must be a shooter by trade, or a very good amateur.

And that seat looks amazing! WAY better looking than a Sargent... I wonder if he would do one sight unseen? Just copy exactly what you got... I have a spare seat I could send up to him. :think:
I'm not a pro photographer but did once make money with it. Photography is still one of my passions. Poor lighting and spontanious shooting was helped here by having good gear.

You should give Don Weber a shout to see if he would do one via mail -- don at mredsmoto dot com -- or find his info at his website.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Nice Saddle

What issues were you trying to solve? Too high, too hard?

Your seat looks really good, I am going to have to see about sending him my seat as well. I get back to OR once a year but the thought of trying to ride the hyper there in current form is a bit daunting.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What issues were you trying to solve? Too high, too hard?
The stock seat had an overall forward slope to it and found that I would be riding right up to the tank area. The "boys" would often feel the "pinch" as a result.

Also, if I tried to further back -- it wouldn't really work and I felt pitched too far forward. It also felt like the front of the seat didn't have support which was a lot like sitting on a fence rail. All the pressure right on a small area.

The first thing this guy does is to level out the seat base, then builds the right support.

~John

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did this same thing using a super sharp bread knife, belt sander, sand paper, foam and 1/4 inch staples. Took me about 2 hours total and it turned out awesome. Cost me like $20 in materials. I reused the stock cover so it doesn't have that pimpy custom look yours does! But, for the money I'm very happy and it looks damn good. I'm kind if a perfectionist.

Nice friggin seat though man!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Cool slide show ! I`m thinkin of firming my seat up, keeping the same shape. Jeez I wish "Don" lived close by !

·
Premium Member
12,343 Posts
Looks like he knows what he is doing , Using the correct density of foam is a biggie !
Did he check out how you sat on the bike? Take into consideration Your leg length?
First Class Job . Nice work

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like he knows what he is doing , Using the correct density of foam is a biggie !
Did he check out how you sat on the bike? Take into consideration Your leg length?
First Class Job . Nice work
You are right - he used 2 different foam types / densities to build out the shape and used two types / densities of memory foam. Also, he did have me get on the bike - in a very specific way - to see where I landed and my leg angle / reach to the ground.

·
Premium Member
12,343 Posts
The fellow who did mine works for a facility for handicapped ,does wheelchairs etc,,
I think that is the only way to get a REAL custom seat..
The guy used to race bikes and done mine for next to nothing $$wise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don did a great job!

I got a local craftsman in South Africa to custom cover my seat. I pre-cut the seat with the information from the forum.

He fine tuned it and covered it to my specifications.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Nice seat, and nice photos!

How much did the seat cost you, and how long did it take? I've been holding on to my stock seat (bought the DP comfort one) thinking I'd take it to Mr. Ed's Moto sometime...after all, they're only 15 miles down the road...

·
Premium Member
12,343 Posts
Just a thought about the stitching and seams. Are the seams watertight? and if you have piping will they irritate your anatomy ? That is advantage of the full one piece cover. I have the ledge/dip on mine ,maybe slightly less pronounced covered with very soft foam, of varying thickness , so it looks almost stock,
I strongly reccommend that the craftsman who works on yours sees you on the bike , so they can get an Idea of what they have to do,,,

Mikes Custom Cycle Seats took less than 4 hours to do mine, from drop off to pick up..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts