Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Custom rebuilt Multi

5K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  jaccow 
#1 ·
Some of you know the story of me crunching my Multi last fall.
Well, after quite a few delays (caused by a certain person re: the frame) I have it all together and just got back from a 7 day road trip.
The bike ran great, got better mileage than ever!

I ditched the original tail section. I cut off the brackets on the back of the frame, then welded new ones on for a 1098 taillamp and a tailpiece I fabricated from fibreglass.
I have Leo Vince exhaust on it and it sounds fantastic! Plus I think it looks pretty cool all exposed.
I put some custom turnsignal/taillamps in the little recess where the bodywork originally fit into. I still need to fabricate some lenses- but I had time off and wanted to ride!

I'm also going to customize the front end, I have a large lamp I'm installing instead of the stock one.
A few other goodies:
Accessory fusebox on right frame, with cutout into the glovebox.
MixIt audio mixer for radar/Zumo into bluetooth dongle (in glovebox also)
Heat conrols for grips and gear- along with a voltmeter in one box (still need to make new bracket).
PowerCard- need new bracket for that also.
Building new O2 meter- I had an old large one temporarily mounted. Used to setup the PowerCard.
'Roamer' Zumo mount
Valentine1 mounted beside headlamp (hidden).
Remote display and audio control- need to fab new box for those still.
ProOiler, mounted under passenger seat.
Dual Star grip heaters
Rizoma bars with 1100 tripples
Oh yeah, I lapped the valves, cleaned up the ports a little, installed MBP collets (two factory ones were broken), plus the other usual service stuff.
The tail section is quick release- I made a aluminum 'floor' for that and have some tools stashed in there. Like a little air compressor and flat kit.

I'll try and post some pics when I actually get everything done I'm planning. But for now I want to ride it!

Mark

See less See more
#3 ·
cool!

nice touches there! tail piece looks sick and those recessed turn signals are genius!

#4 ·
Thanks for the positive words.

I think the signals will look more 'original' once I fab some lenses.
I have two ways I'm thinking of doing them.
One would be to make a 'plug' from plaster, then vacuum form some clear acrylic over the plug- making the lens.
Two would be to make a plug, then over with wax- then invest the wax, boil it out- and cast with clear denture acrylic. This would be a better way since the plasic would be very dense. I could get fancy and make some 'lines' inside like factory type ones would have too.

Not sure which way I'll do it- I'll have to play around.
I wanted to actually inset the lights, but the fuel is *right there*. The tank isn't very thick and you really can't remove any extra material.

Just for a teaser, here is the headlamp I'm using, with a quick mockup for general location. I am thinking a couple of ways to finish the fairing- one would be with a clear cover (a bit like the old BMW 1000 'S' of the 70's) another would be to have it stick out a bit at the top.

Or maybe the 'street fighter' look?

I want the front fairing to be quick release, so I need to fab some brackets. I have it worked out, but it will have to wait.

The lisc plate bracket was made by the guy that did the really nice 'Adventure Strada'. I liked it so asked him to make me one.
I like the clean look and light weight. I haven't weighed the bike to see how much lighter it is- but the tail weighs more than if I made a mold first and layed it into the mold. I'd have had to had a three piece mold (I think) to make it and it was too much trouble for a one-off.

Mark

#6 ·
The Zumo pops off in a second, the rest is anchored pretty well.
I haven't worried about it too much, but never left it in the city either.

I plan on making an enclosure for the radar remotes- it should clean up the look too.

Mark

#8 ·
It will be a bit before I get the front end done- but I'm working on it.

This is one of my favorite pics of the trip I just took.

#9 ·
Nice picture, where is it?

Noticed in your signature you have a Lotus, once the kids are out that's my next vehicle. I've got the hots for Exige or maybe I get Evora when it's out and chop a little off their legs to fit them in the back :D

#10 ·
It is the Painted Hills section of John Day National Historic sites - In Central Oregon. (around 90 miles from Bend if I recall)

Yes, I quite enjoy the Lotus, I've had 6 before this one, all older. Starting with a Lotus Cortina, then a few Europas and Elites (4-seat ones).
The Elise has all the good parts of the older cars without the 30 year old car hassles.

Mark

#12 ·
The exhaust sounds really good!

I took a trip with it having the 'DB' killers out. Sounded outrageous, but too darn loud for me.
I'm liking the way it is with the Db Killers in. Nice sound, not too loud.

I think I have a sound file- I'll see if I can upload it or link to it.

Mark

#18 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.