Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well , finally decided to mount my integrated LED strip today and make a custom mount for the license plate. All in all i think it turned out pretty damn good. The LED's are nice and bright too from what i can tell. i will find out for sure when i go for a ride this weekend and get some opinions from other riders. But so far seems plenty bright. i also made a point of wrapping the LED in the shape of the "V" of the tail section. so it is bright from the back and each side of the bike.

I then just cut a small piece of aluminum and made my own license plate bracket that just mounts to the passenger peg bracket holes. WAY cheaper than spending $100 on a prefab one off the internet.

The LED tail light mod took me i bet about 6-7 hrs. most of it was making brackets to mount the LED and letting the epoxy cure for a couple hours. And maybe an hour figuring out all the wiring colors for the stock harness and LED wires. It was more straight forward than what i was expecting though!

Picture
#1 = Running light
#2 = Brake light
#3 = Right signal
#4 = Left signal
#5 = Side view

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
That look great. Very clean.

Not to change the subject, but is that the seat cowl that is being sold on ebay from across the pond. I was interested in buying one. How good is the quality and fit. Can you post some pics. thanks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That look great. Very clean.

Not to change the subject, but is that the seat cowl that is being sold on ebay from across the pond. I was interested in buying one. How good is the quality and fit. Can you post some pics. thanks.
yes its from overseas. honestly, i was really pissed when i got it. It fit like total crap. was crooked and sat about an inch up in the air cause it sat right on top of the subframe. I had to do alot of dremeling, move the hardware around, and put spacers under the tail section to raise it up a tad. now it sits more flush and lower into the tail. Took me like half a day to be happy with it. the build quality of the piece is good and strong, but it just didnt fit good. I liked that it came with the "ducati" pad too.

There is a guy selling one right now in the classifieds, and it looks like he has the same problem i had when i got mine. looks like its sitting really high in the tail section. But then again i seem to be alot more picky than most people. Hope this helps ya! :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Looks good. I don't think I can get away with mounting my license plate like that up here. The view would be too obstructed by the rear tire. Did you make the LED strip yourself?

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
Nice setup!!

Custom dymnamics? They have that LED strip on there site..
I´m thinking about it for my CORSE tailed SPS

//amullo

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Looks great. I think the rear lights should have been something like this in the beginning and not that horrible looking "thing" that is hanging under the exhaust. Still, there is no legal place where to put the license plate. Could do the same as you did, but I think it would be an instant ticket from the cops if they caught me with that. Probably will go with this mod anyway and try to avoid the cops like before :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As AMULLO mentioned, the LED is from www.customdynamics.com . It costed about $70. Just have to figure out the stock factory wiring harness colors. I had to completely disassemble the tail light housing to figure out what each wire did. it was pretty self explanitory once i took good look at it and wrote down everything. I can post up the colors for the 749/999 though if anyone needs them to save some time.

As for making a biposto license plate bracket, anyone is fully capable of making one. just take a few minutes to run to the hardware store and buy a small sheet of aluminum for $10 and cut a small stip to reach acrossed to each passenger peg mounting hole. then just drill a couple holes to mount the plate and run the passenger peg bolts through. I went the extra mile and got longer bolts and nuts from the store so i can still mount my pegs with the extra thickness of the bracket. You can also buy rolls of very thin aluminum with holes already in it for cheap also. i usally have a roll of it laying around for any projects that pop up that i wanna do.

I had my plate mounted in the same spot on my last 999. no problems with police yet.... (knock on wood) :D

I believe the fender eliminator kits mount them in the same spot anyways.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
If you look at the pics in the book "Ducati 999: Birth of a Legend" PT seemd to play around w/ different ideas on how to homologate turn signals, head lights, etc. I liked the idea of the turn signals in the upper slots on the 2003-04 front fairing. It looked like he just put a turn signal lens in place of the present black trim/air deflector piece, that's was cool !....much in the lines of what you did, well done!:D

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Very nice!

Simple, clean, elegant.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the compliments guys. Im pretty happy with it. :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
As you offered, would you please post wiring info?

Also, I guess that you went with one of these?

http://www.customdynamics.com/integrated_led_light_bars.htm

Was it the 5.9" or 9.4" set?

Would you also please post a few pics of how you mounted the strip?

I am waiting for the 749s mono that I just bought to arrive, and I am definitely going to make this mod. If you want to partner up and make some kits for various bikes, I'll do the internet tech, sales and marketing stuff. You've got the skills.

This is waaaaaay better than anything out there for a 749 now - Great work!

Reactions: DaNeed4SpeedMV

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm telling you... a packaged version of this...

freaking sweet!
for Ducati's with easy to follow instructions, and perhaps a the right plug included to make the wiring easy is a killer product.

I just re-looked at your pic's and see that you used the 9.4", so I ordered mine.

I'll certainly appreciate it if you post the wiring pic's

·
Registered
15 Posts
This looks great! Would love to see instructions, if your willing to supply them!

Great work. Also good to know on the cowl, I have ordered one 3 weeks ago... Should be arriving within the next couple of weeks. Question, what did you have to dremel?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Looks clean and professional. Is is highly visible for traffic to see? I would think so, just wondering. I have my signals set in my vents in the rear, but it worries me that the cagers behind me dont see em. Then again they only see objects bigger than they are...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts