Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering if anyone has actually just tossed their heavy OEM headlight on the 1999+ Supersports and replaced it with something different that is much lighter? I assume that as long as the universal headlight/driving light says "DOT" on it that it would be legal?

Something like this would be much lighter:

What I'm pondering is getting an aftermarket racing upper fairing and cutting a hole in it for a different light. Something like this Airtech fairing would be good:

·
Registered
220 Posts

sure have,two 999 headlights mounted side by side in the original fairing,just waiting for the plastic welder to weld in a panel to close up the huge hole then i can cut the two small holes in that,its a bit of work making the mounts etc,but it sure looks better than the oem headlight imo
over here ive seen a fibreglasss top fairing with top and bottom light openings(ala 999 but one hole is smaller than the other) for sale from time to time also.

·
Registered
220 Posts

buell use a setup with two small side by side lights,ive seen the whole headlight assemblys on ebay for stuff all,that may be an ideal starting point and save making the mounts from scratch,and they will be compliant i guess

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I've been wondering if anyone has actually just tossed their heavy OEM headlight on the 1999+ Supersports and replaced it with something different that is much lighter? I assume that as long as the universal headlight/driving light says "DOT" on it that it would be legal?

Something like this would be much lighter:

What I'm pondering is getting an aftermarket racing upper fairing and cutting a hole in it for a different light. Something like this Airtech fairing would be good:
OBTW, the factory headlamp assembly on the earlier ('99 to '02 I think) used a glass lens which was very heavy. I replaced that with a Lexan lens assembly from a 1000SS DS and saved a couple of pounds. I doubt one of those projector beam headlights are much lighter, if that is your goal.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OBTW, the factory headlamp assembly on the earlier ('99 to '02 I think) used a glass lens which was very heavy. I replaced that with a Lexan lens assembly from a 1000SS DS and saved a couple of pounds. I doubt one of those projector beam headlights are much lighter, if that is your goal.
Yeah, that is my goal. I will look around for the later lens assembly, thanks!

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Better lighting

I have done my own slave wiring that works very well in comparison to the stock candle.

I am going to get a GSXR headlight circa 2001 as it looks like it could suit with a fairing mod. I am getting new fairings made in Kevlar and have asked the fabricator to help do a new upper fairing to suit.

If this fits it will give me even better lighting in combo with the heavy duty slave wiring. These GSXRs have twin H4 headlights, so double the bulb power, but this would be useless without decent (non Duc) wiring.

Richard

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
These Hella's are DOT legal. One for Lo, and one for Hi. The globe is 90mm (about 3,5 inches). I put them in my ST2 and now ST4S, and they are GREAT!!

http://www.amazon.com/Hella-90mm-He..._1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1250965169&sr=8-1

Note that it is worth running your own, dedicated wire up the the light area. My OEM harness was dropping 1V (5watts !) of power between the battery, and the element. Now it's like 0.1V of loss.

These 90mm Hellas are 65 Watt H9 elements (vs. 55W for H3 or H7).
But from 1999 on up, our DUCs have 520W alternators (the mid '90s had 350W), so they can handle the "extra" stuff.

(

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
These Hella's are DOT legal. One for Lo, and one for Hi. The globe is 90mm (about 3,5 inches). I put them in my ST2 and now ST4S, and they are GREAT!!

http://www.amazon.com/Hella-90mm-He..._1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1250965169&sr=8-1

Note that it is worth running your own, dedicated wire up the the light area. My OEM harness was dropping 1V (5watts !) of power between the battery, and the element. Now it's like 0.1V of loss.

These 90mm Hellas are 65 Watt H9 elements (vs. 55W for H3 or H7).
But from 1999 on up, our DUCs have 520W alternators (the mid '90s had 350W), so they can handle the "extra" stuff.

(
Oh wow, those look really light weight! How well did they fit into you fairing? What changes did you make to that?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts