Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had the bike for almost 2 years now, and after following all the discussion and looking at all the pictures of the different exhaust systems, I decided to have a custom exhaust system made.

I wasn’t looking for anything radical in the design, but rather just maintaining the classic look of the bike.

The whole process has taken almost 12 months as I released the first step was that the “big black triangles” needed to be modified so that the exhaust system could properly follow the lines of the bike.

As I hoped, the “big black triangles” are no longer an eye-sore and just blend into the bike, and the whole bike has a much more balanced appearance.

The headers are of a stepped design, based on information provided by Muschi – thanks Muschi.

The work was done by Allan Parkes of Racetune Motorcycle Mufflers in southern Sydney (Australia). The attached photos do not do justice to Allan’s craftsmanship. The end result is absolutely amazing.

If you try and “google” Racetune, you will have trouble finding him, yet he is always booked out 4 to 6 weeks in advance, just getting work through word of mouth.

I gave Allan a page of notes and a stack of pictures to show what I was after, and he created exactly what I was after.

I was lucky to pick up a DP ECU only a couple of weeks before the bike went in to have the exhaust system made, so the ECU was fitted before I took the bike in, as well as making a “disc” to open up the air intake.

I haven’t had much of a chance to ride the bike since the new exhaust was fitted, but what riding I have done, I am extremely pleased with the performance (a lot of which would be due to the DP ECU).

When my partner dropped me off to pick up the bike, her comment was “I don’t understand, but the look of excitement on your face makes it all worthwhile.”

Enough from me have a look at the photos and have a listen to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxhuwuzQ5w0

Cheers

Rob

Attachments

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Racetune

If anyone is interested in contacting Allan at Racetune, his details are:

Racetune Motorcycle Mufflers
Allan Parkes

Unit 20,
4 Ethell Rd
Kirrawee NSW, 2232
Phone: 02 9521 3488
Mobile: 0411 540 350
Email: [email protected]

·
Registered
171 Posts
They look a lot like Staintune's, and I love Staintune's. Nice work!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Very nice bit of work Rob, love the way the whole system stays close to the motor and it looks great polished.

Can you give me some details on your airbox cover? Did you also drill the bottom?

Anyway, nice work now get to work and clean those wheels! ;)

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you give me some details on your airbox cover? Did you also drill the bottom?
The airbox cover is simply an aluminium disc, about 5mm thick, and 115mm outside diameter, 75mm inside diameter.

I put a very slight bend through it so that it would press down on the side that didn't have a screw holding it down. It is amazing how stiff a 5mm thick peice of aluminium is.

I had a friend with a lathe, so he was able to machine up the disc for me. Cutting it by had would have been a pain in the arse.

I haven't drilled the bottom but I am thinking about doing it.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Elegant and the triangles now blend into the bike. Congrats.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
very nice - great job with the lines!
are those tarozzi universal controls?

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Wow they look great Rob. You must be pleased.
I'd drill out underneath the air filter too.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I am incredibly pleased with the outcome. I still have a huge smile on my face. It's been incredibly exciting doing custom work on the bike and slowly watching it evolve into what I consider is the bike that should have come out of the factory in the first place.

And yes, I plan on drilling out the bottom of the airbox as well.

And yes, they are Tarozzi universal controls. I only just recently received the new "straight arm" levers and installed them on the bike last weekend. They look and feel so much better than the original levers which stuck out a fair way, making up shifts a bit difficult.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ummm, no, not cheap. I guess the price reference is the Termi pipes which come with the DP ECU, so by the time I picked up a second hand DP ECU and had the pipes made, the cost is about 50% more than the Termi's.

There was three weeks work in making the pipes. Allan originally estimated 2 weeks work, but despite the extra time it took, he keep to the original quote.

But I have to say that the extra expense, and the effort I went through modifying the triangles, I love the look of the bike, the sound, and the improvement in engine performance.

The only mod left that I want to do to the bike is to redo the tail. It won't be a chop, but will be more classic and discrete. But don't hold your breath waiting for it to be done ... it took me 6 months to complete the triangle modification :(

·
Registered
300 Posts
Graphs?

Any before and after graps?
Diffrence in register, hp?

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No dyno graphs yet. The plan is to fit a PCIII at the end of the year and get it dyno tuned then.

As much as I would love to have before and after graphs, this won't be happening.

But I don't need any graphs to tell me how much nicer the bike is to ride :D

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
...And yes, they are Tarozzi universal controls. I only just recently received the new "straight arm" levers and installed them on the bike last weekend. They look and feel so much better than the original levers which stuck out a fair way, making up shifts a bit difficult.
can you tell me about the "straight arm" levers? where did you get them, and how are they different from the original ones?

thanks!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Ummm, no, not cheap. I guess the price reference is the Termi pipes which come with the DP ECU, so by the time I picked up a second hand DP ECU and had the pipes made, the cost is about 50% more than the Termi's.

There was three weeks work in making the pipes. Allan originally estimated 2 weeks work, but despite the extra time it took, he keep to the original quote.

But I have to say that the extra expense, and the effort I went through modifying the triangles, I love the look of the bike, the sound, and the improvement in engine performance.

The only mod left that I want to do to the bike is to redo the tail. It won't be a chop, but will be more classic and discrete. But don't hold your breath waiting for it to be done ... it took me 6 months to complete the triangle modification :(
Great look! I'm hoping to do something similar on my '01 900SS

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
can you tell me about the "straight arm" levers? where did you get them, and how are they different from the original ones?

thanks!
Hi GTRossi,

The "straight arm levers" are compatible with the Tarozzi rearsets, but are made by "Fast from the Past".

The regular Tarozzi levers are designed to work with the folding pegs, but when used with the fixed pegs, the toe pegs are in the wrong position making it difficult to up shift through the gears. Also found the toe pegs were getting in the way when I was pushing the bike around while sitting on it.

I've attached a couple of pictures that show the difference, and you can find more details on the straight arm levers here (complete with a photo of my bike :D ):

http://www.fastfromthepast.com/servlet/the-1009/Universal-Rearsets-Straight-Arm/Detail

While the regular arm levers are here:

http://www.fastfromthepast.com/servlet/the-377/Universal-Rearsets-Fixed-Knurled/Detail

And the regular arm levers with the folding footpegs:

http://www.fastfromthepast.com/servlet/the-379/Universal-Rearsets--Folding/Detail

The straight arm levers can be bought as spare parts:

http://www.fastfromthepast.com/servlet/the-1000/Lever-Arm-Straight/Detail

If buying the straight arms as a spare part, you also need to buy new screws for securing the toe pegs. It might be this part, but you better confirm with the supplier:

http://www.fastfromthepast.com/servlet/the-1005/Low-Head-Stainless-Steel/Detail

Once again, if using folding footpegs the regular arms are fine, but if you are using fixed pegs, the straight arms are the way to go.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts