Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 314 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been collecting parts for a while and finally started building in earnest. teamed up w/glen the master welder/machinist/craftsman in hopes that his skills will make up for my incompetence...

the starting point:
- ds1000 motor, carbed, no ecu or other superfluous electro-gizmos (initial setup by ducremus)
- ss1000ds swingarm/suspension
- 70's style imola tank, custom tail
- gixxer front end
- bst carbon wheels
- complete custom frame build (headstock from 999 frame)

glen built a very solid jig to hold the engine in place at proper level and we located the motor mounts in relation to the headstock angle with the 999 frame. then we mounted the motor in the jig, hacked off the 999 headstock (off with his head!!) and set it in the headstock jig.

we started by doing a mock-up of the main frame components in 1/2" tube to set the basic geometry, position the tank, etc. we're sending these off to the mandrel bender to get them bent from full-size tube and we'll set them and build the rest in the shop.

the frame design is a cross between a pierobon frame and a 70's 900ss frame - paralell spars from the bottom of the headstock under the tank down to the rear motor mounts and a backbone from the top of the headstock to the shock mount above the vert. cyl head.

with any luck we'll get the mandrel bends back and have some updates of the real frame soon...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
we started modifying a 749 triple to work with the gixxer forks/cycle cat clip-ons by cutting off the steering damper mount and milling down the fork clips to get everything to work with the tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
313 Posts
I come in here from time to time to see what you guys are up to...and here is your madness :D That bike is going to be beautiful!
I finished building my house, got rid of my 930 and now don't know what to do with myself :think: ..... and why am I in here?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Awesome

It's great to see home built bikes! Awesome job so far, really appreciate you sharing it. More pictures, more details...:D I volunteer to test pilot:cool:

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Geoff is the other guy!
Good job posting Geoff... I am sure many will be interested in this build.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It's a great build thus far for sure! I just secured a Mandrel bender that's being lent to us for the next month or so! I might have to build a couple more frames while it's in my shop! I also guess this is my intro to the SC forums! I'm Glen, the guy with the chops! (and the shops)

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
This is such a cool looking project.

I am so jealous that you have the time, capability and resources to do it.

I have really enjoyed doing the small custom projects on my bike, and would love to be able to do a whole bike.

Keep the photos coming, we are living our dreams through you and "EIGHTfortyEIGHT" :D

Cheers

Rob

·
Registered
125 Posts
This is such a cool looking project.

I am so jealous that you have the time, capability and resources to do it.

I have really enjoyed doing the small custom projects on my bike, and would love to be able to do a whole bike.

Keep the photos coming, we are living our dreams through you and "EIGHTfortyEIGHT" :D

Cheers

Rob

Yep, I agree with Rob . . . We are living our dreams through you and EIGHT fortyEIGHT and lest we not forget, Dietrich!

Keep up the great work! :)

·
Registered
421 Posts
Geoff (and Glen), love love love it! As this project progresses, could I sneak over to see? If there's a time this summer that you know you'll be there and you let me know... I'm there! Very cool...

1 - 20 of 314 Posts