Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I had to replace these on my ST2, I went through every gyration documented to extract these SOB's from the wheel. After considerable time and expense (diamond cutting blade, propane torch, blind-hole puller, beer, liquor, penetrant, first-aid kit) I finally had to take the wheel to a machine shop to have them cut out.

Now, on my MTS, I'm in the process of converting to a QC carrier, (+2 teeth in the rear) and I'm staring at the disassembled sprocket with cush drive rubbers intact. Staring with loathing, apprehension and trepidation. I sized everything up, found a couple of correctly sized drifts and my mallet, rigged up a bench. Slammed some liquid courage and finally flipped the sprocket over on my bench, to then watch all of them fall right out.

So my question (aside from why was I born this way?) is... are these things supposed to be this loose? They fell right into the new sprocket, as well. Does securing the flange cause them to tighten up? I'm confused as to how the assembly stays together.

Any insight appreciated!

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
The design of the Ducati carrier is such that they can be loose in the carrier and still fully constrained. I have poly bushings that the carrier moves a bit on (I can move it with my hands) but there's mechanical limits to the amount that it can move (4mm or so in and out). If it's flopping around by more than that then you should try to figure out if something is broken.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
The carrier (5) constrains the outward (or away from the hub) motion of the sprocket (10), and the large washer (12) constrains the inward (toward the hub) motion of the sprocket (10) but there IS some margin between those two constraints for the sprocket (10) to move in and out.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Sophomore Member
2,891 Posts
Yeah, that’s perfectly normal. I just did chain and sprockets on mine. 5 out of 6 fell out. One required minor persuasion.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. It seems that tightening the nuts creates enough pressure to firm things up.

Learning as I go. Always a process the first time. Shop manual shows removing the sprocket cover with just the two nuts, removing the chain, then removing the sprocket. I couldn't clear the sprocket cover without removing the slave.

The sprocket nut was tight enough that low gear wouldn't hold it, as the manual suggested. Had to put the chain back on so my wife could stand on the rear brake to hold it. 2.5' breaker bar didn't do it, so back to the impact for that one, too. Then, I finally see the last line in the manual: Important: The O-ring must be renewed on reassembly. :poop:

...and that's why you read everything before you start the job. Hopefully my local shop that's no longer a Ducati dealer still has some stock. Otherwise it'll be another week on the stand.

My ST2 is on the stand now, too with charging issues. I'm going to have to get a third Duc just so I can keep riding!

·
Registered
300 Posts
When I had to replace these on my ST2, I went through every gyration documented to extract these SOB's from the wheel. After considerable time and expense (diamond cutting blade, propane torch, blind-hole puller, beer, liquor, penetrant, first-aid kit) I finally had to take the wheel to a machine shop to have them cut out.

Now, on my MTS, I'm in the process of converting to a QC carrier, (+2 teeth in the rear) and I'm staring at the disassembled sprocket with cush drive rubbers intact. Staring with loathing, apprehension and trepidation. I sized everything up, found a couple of correctly sized drifts and my mallet, rigged up a bench. Slammed some liquid courage and finally flipped the sprocket over on my bench, to then watch all of them fall right out.

So my question (aside from why was I born this way?) is... are these things supposed to be this loose? They fell right into the new sprocket, as well. Does securing the flange cause them to tighten up? I'm confused as to how the assembly stays together.

Any insight appreciated!
I lol'ed, great comedic writing (whether it was intentional or not)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts