Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any ideas how to remove cush drive rubbers please.

I've tried drilling out the rubber, but am left with a mess and the outer shell stuck in place that won't budge :frown2:.

I then tried this approach, but nothing moved either :crying:.

What to do..?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
Slice the outer cup with a Dremel and carbide cutting bit, or even a small chisel if you’re careful. Then you should be able to bend it inward a little and grab it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks duc96cr.

I had a brainwave and did the following:

1: Drilled out the rubber (used a small chisel to cut the remaining bits holding the inner core). I then used a blind bearing puller to wrench out the inner sleeve.
2: Used Dremel, but not to cut outer sleeve. I ran the cutting blade up and down the sleeve in the same plane (picture will show). This wore away the outer sleeve until there was a wafer thin amount remaining. I carefully prised that open with a chisel
3: I used a larger blind bearing puller on this outer sleeve. It popped out easily.
4: You can see from the photos that there is a tiny amount of damage to the hub, but I have no idea how to get these things out another way.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
942 Posts
I had to remove the cush rubbers when I had my wheels powder coated. Here is a copy/paste of my post from 7/26/15 about the puller I made to do the job. They are a real bear to remove and stupid expensive to replace. I fabricated the tool to pull them for a cost of only a few dollars and posted it here. Here is the post... if it doesn't make sense to you I can probably dig up the tool and take a picture of the whole thing.

I bought a 1 1/4 X 3/4 cast iron pipe reducer coupling at the local hardware. See picture below.
It allows a space for the bushing to pull into and rests on the hub around the bushing while you pull it. I also bought several thick and large diameter 3/8 inch washers and a long 3/8 inch bolt and a nut. Total expenditure of about $8.00. I ground down two of the washers outer diameters to be just slightly smaller than the OD of the cush bushings which in my wheels (ST4 5 spoke Marchesinis) were 35mm in diameter. You insert the long bolt with the two reduced diameter washers (used two for strength--and be sure they are resting on the bushing and NOT the hole in the hub) thru the bushing from the back side (inside the hub) and on the outside of the bushing you use the pipe reducer (1 1/4 inch side toward the bushing) then 2-3 washers (you need several so they are strong enough to not bend under the considerable force you are about to apply to them) and the nut. I managed to get a wrench on the bolt head inside the hub to hold it then hit the nut with my air impact wrench. If your bolt is not completely threaded, as mine was not, you will need to stop and remove the nut when you run out of threads as the bushing comes out a bit and add a spacer or more washers to get a second bite on the threads and then reinstall the nut and finish the pull. It took me days of research and head scratching to figure out an inexpensive and non-destructive way to do this and only a few minutes to accomplish the job after I got this apparatus working. I imagine you would not need the impact wrench just a ratchet on the outside nut, but since I have one and the shock of the impacts undoubtedly help persuade the stubborn bushings out, that's how I did it. Mine came out looking good enough to reuse, but since I didn't know how many miles were on the wheel, I replaced (at considerable and unreasonable cost) the bushings and bearings so now my wheel is as good as new. The new bushings and bearings will go back in real easy if they live in the freezer in a ziplock bag for a few days before you put then in. I also used a heat gun to warm the bearing race before installing the new bearings. And don't forget to put the inner hub spacer between the bearings before you install that second bearing....don't ask me how I know.

Attachments

Reactions: hypermo
1 - 5 of 5 Posts