Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So long story short, old Cush drives were causing the sprocket to machine its self on the bearing adjuster.... got new ones. Now a week later...... wtf??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Na, it’s there.....

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
You either have a part missing, assembled in the wrong order or something loose.

Ever hear of chain lubrication?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Unless the hub bearing has collapsed, there is only one way this can happen, the spacer (998) or washer (996) is missing. how much of the axle is protruding from the nut on the left side of the bike? if it sticks out more than 5mm or so, you have a spacer/washer missing or on the wrong side of the sprocket.

Just as a note, I don't think cush drives being worn could cause that wear either. The relationship between sprocket and hub has nothing to do with cush drive rubbers.

Ok, take a look at where the rubbers are sitting slightly protruding from the left side of the sprocket. That tells me you have the washer on the wrong side (outside instead of inside) of the sprocket. I'm 99% certain that's your problem.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You either have a part missing, assembled in the wrong order or something loose.

Ever hear of chain lubrication?

bike was sitting for a decade. never scrubbed the rust off. :p

so originally 2 weeks ago i noticed the old cush drives were sticking out of the sprocket and it sprocket started to rub on the hub. (put about 4500 miles on the bike with no issues, nothing back there touched) replaced them last week, and assembled the same as it was taken off.

ill take her apart at lunch and post some pics.

how do you tell if the rear wheel bearing is toast? no side to side wiggle.

·
Registered
53 Posts
bike was sitting for a decade. never scrubbed the rust off. :p

so originally 2 weeks ago i noticed the old cush drives were sticking out of the sprocket and it sprocket started to rub on the hub. (put about 4500 miles on the bike with no issues, nothing back there touched) replaced them last week, and assembled the same as it was taken off.

ill take her apart at lunch and post some pics.

how do you tell if the rear wheel bearing is toast? no side to side wiggle.
Ah. Ok. Post pics after you disassemble. Im betting the inner spacer has worn out. 996 or 998?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah. Ok. Post pics after you disassemble. Im betting the inner spacer has worn out. 996 or 998?

oh, sorry.

1995 916 mono

Reactions: DS749R

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As she sits now

·
Registered
53 Posts
When you take it apart, you should see the spacer behind the sprocket. Behind the spacer is a large circlip holding the bearing spacer and bearing in. Turn the axle shaft and make sure theres no crunchy feeling and wiggle it for play (should be zero play). The hub isnt serviceable as far as I know. You'll need a new one if the bearings are worn out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Awesome

Installing the old Cush parts.. the new ones sprightly up melted and cracked .

Wheel bearing has no play.

Hmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yup, washer 852.1.067.1A, the one behind the sprocket is not there...... THANKS PREVIOUS OWNER.....

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
This happened to mine;

Circlip groove worn so much that the sprocket carrier (rather than the cush drives) partly ground away the eccentric adjuster. Fixed by replacing with later (998) style carrier without circlip, only to later have a cush drive pop out and finish the job properly....

·
Registered
53 Posts
yup, washer 852.1.067.1A, the one behind the sprocket is not there...... THANKS PREVIOUS OWNER.....
Damn. Thats annoying. Luckily it looks like with the washer replaced, the rest will still work. Just cosmetic damage.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
pretty sure its at home in the "bag of crap" i got with it. so ill button it up, ride back to the house, and install it (if i have it at home) LOL

there goes 130 in cush bushings......

·
Registered
367 Posts
I had a similar thing happen on my 748. Previous owner / mechanic left out a spacer and the sprocket ate some of the hub, but less than yours. Made a spacer to work with the new sprocket I put on and all has been fine since.

It also chewed up my front sprocket due to the chain misalignment, so you might take a look at that. I replaced the chain at the same time which was why I found this problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Think I found it lol

Reactions: DS749R

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That look right?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wait..... isn’t that washer retained by a circlip? Wtf is going on here.... we’re early bikes different?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
looking like someone put a late model hub on and did not use the right damn spacer. (number 12)........ i have the ability to machine one at work, but ill see if i can find one local today.... UGH
i hate PO's

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts