Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently performing maintenance on 3 of my bikes with either regular or evo testastretta engines. It was my intention to buy the aftermarket harmonic belt tension tool from desmotimes, but LT doesn't seem to carry these anymore. Net, it looks like my options are limited to the 45 degree twist method and the guitar tuning app. I searched history and the recommended apps seem to change over time. Has anybody had any good luck recently (i.e. repeatable results) with an iPhone app ?
Thank you in advance for your help.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I tried the gates carbon app but had no success with it being able to hold a frequency of anything near what I was able to try. Ended up using "n-Track Tuner" for iphone and it worked great. Shows a live reading of the sound near you and will pick the highest frequency it hits.

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
8,606 Posts
Courroies from Ducatidiag/jpdiag/melcodiag for your PC laptop and a microphone. I use the boom from my headset which I hang on the frame and position the mic right where it needs to be. Works great.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I use chord detector zax...it's basically a guitar tuner...you do need to be in a quiet environment because it registers which ever frequency is loudest.

·
Registered
359 Posts
For the record I spent the 50.00 and rented the Ducati tool...while it did not register the background noise like a guitar tuner app did... ultimately it was the same frequency detected...

Now for some specifics...if your cam pulleys aren't loosend then your never going to be spot on...if your not finger tensioning the belt with a preload your always going to be tensioning it too tight....if your nailing 80 hz on reinstalling and getting a whine you need to loosen it...not to start a belt brand fiasco...but Ducati belts like the 75-78 hz area best if reinstalling and a 105-110 initial install.. do what the manufacturer says and it's fine....annoying...but fine....

For the purist...with the cams held in place and loose...draw tension with your finger , especially the horizontal cylinder, (put pressure against the belt so that the belt between the cams is stressed as if the engine is under load)...not enough that your finger is exhausted...but firm...tune the belt here to the proper frequency...if assembled you here a whine when the engine is cold....it's too tight....hear a whine when your in traffic and the dash reads 220°f your probably fine...engine is just going nuclear....get some fresh air

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I've used the gates carbon drive app before, it seemed to work as well as could be expected from a phone mic
I also had good experience with the gates carbon app.

However, sometimes it did pick up the 110Hz from the Fluorescent Light Bulb above my lift. Turning off the light did the trick.I haven’t checked it yet again after I upgraded my lights to LED.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
694 Posts
However, sometimes it did pick up the 110Hz from the Fluorescent Light Bulb above my lift. Turning off the light did the trick.
This ^^ I suspect is the most probable cause why some people had problem with a tuner app.

Also if you have motors turning around you (compressor, fan, heater etc) turn them off.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, my shop is in a stand-alone structure where I can easily shut off all electricity, this was already part of my game plan :) Still, I'm a bit worried about being able to generate replicable results. Will report back !

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Downloaded multiple apps, ended up feeling most comfortable with the Gates Carbon Drive, producing repeatable and constant results. On a different note, I had to power down the entire shop before starting the measurements on the Ducati. Main culprit was a Variable Frequency Drive which I use for my ranch irrigation system. It was generating a whopping 600Hz of background noise.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
i sometimes turn off the radio for n-track tuner. but it's just a graph so you can see the whole range and pick what you want.

maybe background is why i find the gates one odd at times. like 35 or 48 hz from memory.

·
Registered
6,113 Posts
Buhgaboo, thanks for the in depth explanation. I use N-Track Tuner also, based on recommendations on this site. I’m hearing challenged but still works fine fo me. I doubted I would like it or use it but it’s very easy to use.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
i would also ignore the factory procedure completely, especially the part about having the three belt pulley locking screws loose. if you tension the belts with them loose, when you tighten the screws the tension will increase. this is because the pulley tilts as the screws are loosened. if you have the screws loosened enough to allow the outer to turn freely around the inner it'll make a difference. set the tension with the cylinder being checked at tdc firing and the pulley screws tight. if you then want to mess up your cam timing with the factory tools do it after the tension has been set.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts