Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I neglected my battery enough to kill it this winter,it was several years old so only matter of time.What's the current choice for value currently? I prefer batteries for longgevity over lighter weight of lithiums,always been a Yuasa fan but just getting a consensus of current options....

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just replaced my 2000 ST2 with the stock Yuasa YB16AL-A2. I got the battery for $60.44 off Amazon and the battery electrolyte was $14.70 for 850 cc off Amazon, which wasn't enough (left one cell empty). So I went to Autozone for more and paid $10.60 for 32 oz. (.91 L).

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,061 Posts
I’ve tried the cheaper batteries available and they just don’t last. Get a Yuasa and a trickle charger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
'02 ST4S
1,347 Posts
+1 on Yuasa, sealed gel type. I believe they're lighter than standard lead/acid and also smaller in size. You may need a block of foam to make it fit snuggly.

·
Super Moderator
4,962 Posts
I've had very good luck with AGM style batteries. Yuasa and the brand that DesmoTimes sells (sorry forgot got the name...sounds English though). I have one trickle charger and I move it from bike to bike during the off times. Couple weeks at a time on each. Kept the batteries in great shape for more than 5 years in each case.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I like the Motobatt MBT12B4 AGM. IIC, it had a bit more cranking amps for it's size. I've had one for the last 4 years and it's been a good replacement for the Yuasa. You should get one for under $80.

Scott L.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I do have a Shorai lithium thats 7 years old and still getting it done. I like the Interstate.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Got a Gel AGM from Parts Unlimited $68...Thanks everybody!

·
Registered
93 Posts
AGM construction is apparently a critical element for lead-acid battery longevity. You can debate the manufacturer, but it appears that AGM construction should always be on your list.

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
Yuasa or MotoBatt AGM. Those are the only two brands I’ve had that had good life.

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
My Yuasa lasted 5 years... I bought a Shorai Li but it's very temp sensitive (hard starting if the bike is below 45-50f, starts awesome if the bike is over 70f) so I'm going to move it to my tiger (not as demanding wrt starting) and get another Yuasa.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AGM construction is apparently a critical element for lead-acid battery longevity. You can debate the manufacturer, but it appears that AGM construction should always be on your list.
Ya ,Ive had several so I'm aware.Got one.Just wanted to see what people have had good luck with as I hadn't needed one since I bought the bike in 2014(?),...as I haven't been on the forum much or paid attention the batt info as I haven't had the need!...til now....:)

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
I like gel batteries so I don't have to deal with the acid. I currently have a BikeMaster TruGel MG12B-4 in my ST3. This is their equivalent for a YT12B-BS.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looks like I neglected my battery enough to kill it this winter,it was several years old so only matter of time.What's the current choice for value currently? I prefer batteries for longgevity over lighter weight of lithiums,always been a Yuasa fan but just getting a consensus of current options....
I really wanted the lithium to work. Unfortunately, on the ST4s, it doesn't quite keep the battery charged when riding. My logger showed 13.2-13.5V while riding, and apparently that's not enough. Way out in Idaho and Montana, I was stuck with a bike that wouldn't cold-start. Nothing with the bike, and nothing wrong with the Shorai, it just needs 14+V to keep it charged, and I can only get that with the (175$ shorai) AC powered charger. If you want the lithium with this bike, carry the charger and plug it in at night. After two years of this, I gave up and went back to Yuasa.

·
Premium Member
4,126 Posts
First gen st4s using a 5.9 ecu arrived in the US with a Ducati branded AGM made by Fiaam (iirc) out of the box if you turned on the turn signals it would not start the bike. Starting with the throttle open also was a no go. We would drop in a Yuasa of the same size and type and the bike would fire up with everything on. so for years I became a Yuasa snob.

Years later my opinion has changed somewhat.
I still feel that Yuasa branded batteries are among the best made, though many if not most of the other brands are ALSO made by Yuasa and re-branded. It is about price point and if the criteria is based on cost then the brands having yuasa build a cheaper battery are correct. Does that mean they are junk? Absolutely not just that like the Op they were built with one eye on function and the other based solely on costs with the intent to make a cheaper battery.

I have seen Yuasa yt12b-bs last 1 year and a store brand battery last 8 years so there is many things that effect life.
The bike
The owner
the materials chosen to build the battery
luck.

These days I run a cheap battery in all of my bikes (except a shori and battery tender lithium for testing) and it is based on a couple things.
My bikes are kept in tune so no hard starters.
I do not own a st4s ( I still think the branded yuasa is best)
I trickle charge them about once a month when not in use.

I buy the Parts unlimited battery as a kit so I know when the life started as opposed to a pre-filled battery.
Cost= I can buy 2 parts unlimited batteries for the price of one Yuasa so if the yuasa lasts 5 years (average I see) and every 2-3 years I swap in a new/fresh brand-X I do not know if one is better or worse. The cost is not much different and these days I am leaning toward fresh may be better as it rules out any months that we screw up and forget to charge the battery .... like my multistrada I forgot to charge last winter. It still works but at 1/2 the cost I have no reason NOT to change it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts