Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

No affiliation with the bike or seller. Curious if it worth the investment, I’ve always wanted one of these and currently have the room and budget. Just not sure how bad id be upside down it in once I got it sorted (ie not a garage queen but not an embarrassment either). 1996 model btw.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Well the first thing is the tank--fix or replace, you can probably find a good used one for $500.00 with original paint that looks pretty good. The upper triple clamp is aftermarket-my question is does he have the original triple clamp with the SP badge on it--That is something I would want to have. -The price seems cheap. I would personally also replace the clutch & ft brake lever with the stock levers they are available and not expensive, How does it run?? If it runs well you may not have to screw with the carbs. Is the engine stock or has it been mucked with? All and all it could be turned into a nice bike & if you can do the work yourself even better. The SP was a U.S. bike only not sold anywhere else, it's still basically a normal 900SS just a few differences--The thing is they are not making any more of these and the prices seem to be creeping up and I believe this trend will continue. So if you plan to keep the bike for say 10 years your not going to lose money

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agree and mentioned some of that to seller, but I didn’t want him to think I was beating him up. Bike was a trade in, I don’t think he’s very knowledgeable on the bike but seems like a standup guy. Prior owner (ie more info) is currently not available.
Just thought almost $4k a but much as I’ve seen better versions sell for less, but this ones local and that’s uncommon.

·
Sophomore Member
2,783 Posts
I paid $4k for mine 2 years ago, but it’s a bit more sorted than this one (FCRs, exhaust, top end work) and came with lots of spare parts. I’d pay no more than $3k for that one assuming as advertised.

·
Premium Member
4,126 Posts
Well, you could hold out for a "better" bike for less money. They do happen on occasion but you may not own one if you wait for a unicorn. If you really want one this checks a few boxes.
Sp version complete with iron rotors and oil temp gauge.

Penske shock is a 500(used) to 1000.00 (new ) upgrade.

Replacement frame is a 90% chance of never needing a new one. Some were changed very early and received equally defective new design but by the fact that is a new design frame I would say you have a very good chance of a best gen frame.

Hard to tell what else was done from pictures given but the owner spent good money on it at some point and cared. Thats a good start. The last owner likely did not care so look at oil color (black is bad) . There is a good chance the last guy did in the tank and I would simply have a body guy fix it should be no problem.

Top tree will be fine used trees pop up with badge often.

levers will be more adjustable than oem but oem non-adjustables are cheap.

Looks like a good price on a good runner. But check studs,rectifier, swingarm for cracks, what spark plugs are in it, what carbs are on it, when was it tuned last, when were the belts changed last, were the forks sprung and valved?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I would not be scared of that bike at all, at least if I heard it run and it sounded right. -Yes you may be able to find another in better condition, but where is it? how much is it going to cost to get it shipped to you? Could you find one for less as others have done sure --even a blind squirrel finds a nut once and a while-and then again you may not. The bike is 25 years old -you would expect it to need some things done ( ok maybe not the tank damage) but that tank can be repaired or replaced yes it's $$$ but no great shakes--Some people think Big bore kits, Pistal Pistons, FCR carbs etc. etc. etc are all upgrades---They are performance upgrades, but they hurt the value for a collector. I would take a bone stock original bike over one that had been screwed with every day of the week. If I wanted a track bike or race bike thats another thing then you want the performance upgrades --But SP's are fairly rare, not as rare as a SuperLight but still less common then a standard SS. That bike has the potential to fix the issues that are known & if nothing else rears it's ugly head you could wind up with a nice 900SP that you could ride and enjoy for many years, and later when your ready to sell it probably make money on. Remember every one that gets crashed or parted out makes yours even more rare & valuable --again they are not making any more of these

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
It has been crashed several times, both sides either still have damage or show parts replaced. The triple clamp and the area around the clock surrounds tells me it hit something head on as well, pieces are missing, bent, cracked, or painted on spots that would have been welded back into place. Ducvet already pointed out the frame replacement but he was thinking warranty instead of crashing for the cause. I can see someone popped the ignition lock too, stolen at one time?

However the damage seems to have been repaired, and that Penske shock says someone knew what they were doing and that piece was fairly expensive. If it runs well, and I mean starts instantly, pulls under throttle smoothly without nasty noises out of the exhaust, I'd say go for it.

You better check the valves, belts right away because that mileage might be off, less than 1,000/year? With all those curvy roads in Tennessee? Make sure it has a clean title, might be worth a couple of bucks to do a title/registration search at the DMV before purchase. Find out if it once had a salvage title a few years back, I'd drop my offer to $2,500 if that turns up as a recovered stolen, $2k if it was ever totaled by an insurance company. Tennessee has some really lax laws covering salvage titles, many car dealers out of state won't buy at auction Tennessee title history vehicles.

Somebody has rode this old girl hard even if it was by a thief and SuperSports survive that better than fading away in the back of a garage year after year.

·
Registered
716 Posts

No affiliation with the bike or seller. Curious if it worth the investment, I’ve always wanted one of these and currently have the room and budget. Just not sure how bad id be upside down it in once I got it sorted (ie not a garage queen but not an embarrassment either). 1996 model btw.

It's not bad, tatty, low miles showing but is it 24k or 124k as it is 24 years old, I would want the original triple clamp and the plastic trim for either side of the gauge cluster, check the frame for cracks or repairs at the steering head area.

It has a penske shock, carbon hugger and guard, open clutch and ferrari pipes, the iron full floating rotors are definitely worth having and so is the floating rear caliper so it has been loved at some point in it's life.

For me, if the mileage is right and the frame is good i'd buy it and cough up for a respray as the side panel is cracked and it will surely all look pretty average in person. Do that and you should have a nice bike.

With ANY second hand bike you need to factor in a full service, belts, shims etc as it's that cost that forces lots of Ducati's up for sale in the first place, so that, a paint job (with the tank repair) and any possible other consumables like head bearings, chain/sprockets, pads, wheel bearings etc???

What's it worth to you if you consider that all that may need doing?
How motivated are you to bring it back so it's not an embarassment?
These are gaining in popularity again and they are becoming harder to find so a "good" one will probably command a premium, if it's able to be rescued and made right so you have a good one once done i say go for it because even a good one that looks perfect may well hide something or need a full service/tyres etc anyway....

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Just a few observations. As @RockAZ points out, it's been down on the right side for certain. The right side lower faring stand off pin that screws into the horizontal head looks like it's been ground away a bit and the rubber bumper is missing.

The damage to the tank looks less like a dent and more like a scuff, like the bike fell into a big rig tire or something equally as tall.

I've seen bikes with lower mileage for less money....but that's here in California. Tennessee.....that may be as good as your gonna get. I don't know, I haven't lived there in over 35 years.

What I can say is, that bike has been garaged probably it's entire life. The lettering on the switch gear isn't even faded. No rust is evident anywhere from the pictures.

All of which leads me to believe it was well taken care of until it was crashed. It was likely patched back together and sold immediately after.

I look at it like this. You can pay your money up front and buy a pristine bike. Or you can pay as you go by buying a bike that needs work. Either way, there is no free ride. Nor a cheap one.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
The lettering isn't faded because the whole right side throttle housing has been replaced with new old stock parts recently. Also see the black paint on the metal tubing frame holding the instrument cluster and headlight? That was bent back into shape and re-welded, but only partially painted black instead of the original gold. The plastic covers that go there are missing. And the condition of the ignition lock speaks loudly to me.

With so many parts modified, I don't see anything that definitely shows it to be an SP model other than what could have been added during a rebuild from crashed. For that matter, nothing to me says it is a 1996 model either.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
most of these things are now of an age and/or condition that requires money being spent on them, and that money, to make it a really, really nice one, is more than a really, really nice one is worth. but because really, really nice ones just aren't for sale anymore, and low $ ones are being parted out, it will become worth spending the money. but if you want to make that one original and nice you'd want to be prepared to spend 10k. assuming it doesn't need anything engine internal, so don't mention the crank plug.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
If per chance you purchase this bike, and the front faring support is in fact damaged, broken & re-welded etc. I have a perfect one that I would part with

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Some nice parts on that bike, and I've seen far worse. I think 10k, even Aussie 10K dollery-doos is way too much to restore it to a reliable street bike but to whip it into a pretty bike would take another two grand at least assuming only minor mechanical needs like belts and valve shim check. This is not a good candidate for a show bike.

In my opinion, get a title search done - my offer on the bike would vary by $2000 based on that finding. Title check here in AZ is about $25 last time I ran one, it also protects you from previous owners claims on the bike. This bike reeks of two very different previous owners and likely a theft in between.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I assume it runs well? I saw enough parts in the last round of pictures to confirm it is an SP, nobody would bother swapping over that many unless they had two bikes to make into one. Did you offer the guy $3,300 ?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
If title is clean
If it runs well
if you can afford it
if you can afford to put it back in nice condition
if you can afford to do a full major service
Purchase it---I'm sure with everyone here who has spare bits & bobs you can do this without breaking the bank

Reactions: RockAZ
1 - 20 of 121 Posts