Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It came on a 998. I thought it looked a little too new and maybe slightly larger than stock. Then I noticed it leaves the low beam headlight on when the high beam is activated.

Having owned and been stranded by a 916 and previous 998 with electrical issues I took it off thinking I would just have to undo "the mod" to put it back to one light at a time. However it does not appear to be modded in any way.

So I figure it is either not for a 998 or maybe even after market. Just curios now.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since I just spent a few hours cleaning the fog out of the headlights I am intrigued by an LED option which I assume would run cooler. Is there currently an easier option or is the thread by Gary where the low beam projector has to be modified still the way to go?

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
What are you going to use it on? The three phase bikes should be able to handle both beams on. My ST4s came that way and has never given me a problem. Same alternator capacity as any other 996 era Desmoquattro. This was a change with the 996 and the 21 (or was it 22?) pin cannon connector going to the head light. It was much improved in that it added actual relays for each beam with separate fuses in the box rather than one fuse for all the lighting and running full headlamp current through the left switch. I used a 996 harness on my 916 for that very reason. I had a one-or-the-other switch on there, but ended up locating a Euro switch with the ability to turn off the lights. That switch is a newer version and lets me run both lights. I just don't do it often and have upgraded my regulator to a MOSFET along with better grade wiring from the alternator, so I am not that worried about it. I am not overloading the circuit, maybe steeling from the battery maintenance charge a little too much, but used in moderation, so far no problem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right now it is on a 998 which I believe you when you say it can take running both but watching the lights getting dimmer then going out about 100 feet before the fuel pump quit several years back when I had a 996 seems to have left a mark. I'm pretty superstitious about messing with the electrical system. I think I'll get the correct 998 switch.

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
the futrher you you go on models the less options you have re options, on this one you cant shut the ligthts off because sam says(rather euro 2), fucking annoying its not up to the owner.
true 916 you can shut the lights off altogether, just because you feel like it.
That is the only problem for the item the OP is pointing at.

Please pay attention and read the OP (original poster) question before answering another answer :)

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
LH switch

I have a brand new one of those that allows you to control the headlights.

No fast idle lever incorporated.

Sell for $75 USD plus postage.

Craig

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
Please pay attention and read the OP (original poster) question before answering another answer :)
Well, if you do read the OP again, you'll see it is about both lights being on and his concern about the current draw... Not the head light switch. No bike sold in the US has had a head light switch since I think the 1970s anyway... I added my experience with the switches just to point out there are different versions from Ducati that look the same. It is an OEM switch. It depends on model year. 3 phase bikes would have the ability to run both beams. I may have confused things with my head light switch story??? It was just to point out I picked up a switch from a newer bike, so both beams.

That is not an ST3 switch. They look nothing like that. They did come on ST2 and ST4, however.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe my curiosity has been satisfied. It is not correct for a 998. It probably is OEM for some more current Ducati. It does not look like ST3 from my quick searching. My guess is the original owner put it on as the easy way to run both headlights when they started fogging up. I plan to put an original 998 switch back on. If there is a 100% plug and play 998 euro switch that allows the headlight to be turned off I'd be mildly interested though I'm pretty sure the headlights go out when starting which is when I care the most, hence the mild interest.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I believe my curiosity has been satisfied. It is not correct for a 998. It probably is OEM for some more current Ducati. It does not look like ST3 from my quick searching. My guess is the original owner put it on as the easy way to run both headlights when they started fogging up. I plan to put an original 998 switch back on. If there is a 100% plug and play 998 euro switch that allows the headlight to be turned off I'd be mildly interested though I'm pretty sure the headlights go out when starting which is when I care the most, hence the mild interest.
You'll probably find that it is correct for a 998 ,, low beam always on , even when high beam is activated.
My 2000 996 was exactly the same way. I replaced the switch block with one that allows me to turn the lights off completely but even so, when high beam is on so is low beam.
Unless I'm mistaken both models use the same switch block , same part # .

Attachments

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I had to modify my low beam because the triple clamp hit the led when turning. Going to depend on what led brand you get.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I saw that. I was kind of surprised to see you got it to fit. I'm not quite ready to mess with it that much. Might change my mind this fall when it starts getting dark sooner though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts