Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts

Basically same system :D
I sortof guessed it. But with all of the newfangled processes these days it was best to ask. Thanks!!

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,547 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
... and to think we used to revere the whine of the Muncie M20 and M22 rock crusher transmissions ... if I recall the M20 even had straight cut gears.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
Per Wikipedia:

“... Some of the benefits of cryogenic treatment include longer part life, less failure due to cracking, improved thermal properties, better electrical properties including less electrical resistance, >>reduced coefficient of friction
Unfortunately (but, not surprising) Wiki doesn't explain how that could be achieved or even link to a source explaining it.

Now, when I first knew of cryo, it was only done to finished parts. I see from your other link that the number and types of processes has exploded. Lots to read up on!

was the replacement cost of a complete unit if you did run them too long excessive (within the realms of "it's racing, of course it's excessive") compared to the servicing every 2k cost.
A complete transaxle was about $70k. A bevel gear set was somewhere between$4k and $6k. The amount of time required to install a new set was too long to do at the track though it did happen.

These are not something you can do with the gearbox in the car because of heat (torches; bearings are shrunk in the case) and where they lived in the box. And the gearbox IS part of the chassis so, if you had a set fail, the gearbox would be swapped. We had one complete spare that went on the road and two more at the shop being readied (with the rest of each chassis) for the next race (one for each team/driver). Gearbox swap:

All the bodywork off, car on high stands, wheels off, underwing down, unwire/plumb, remove gearbox. While some are installing the new 'box, others are removing all the suspension/halfshafts/uprights/brakes from the original so it can all be moved to the new one. Wire/plumb, preheat the engine and gearbox, fire the engine, run through the gears. Underwing back up, bodywork on, back on the ground. Now to the setup pad to check/adjust the chassis.

Here's a shot with the rear end of the chassis removed. Gearbox, turbo, wastegates, suspension, brakes, wing. Don't recall who took the pic.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Almost all of our professional race team clients use cryo and/or ISO treatments on transmission parts/transaxles/etc.
Ive done ISF to a few transmissions in the past and it is worth the money if you have it all apart anyway. Smoother shifts, less drag, lower heat are all real benefits that are worth the time and money.
Other feedback is that you have to pay careful attention to dimensions. In UTV's where you are looking at more complex transmissions, it is possible that .005 here, and .005 there can add up to slop which needs to be accounted for.

Cryo itself without the ISF is a good idea as it really does make for a stronger part with no changes to dimensions.

Cryoheat in California is a well known place to get this done.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
ISO? ISF? UTV? Not all of us are privvy to the meanings of those abbreviations. A little help please?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
ISO? ISF? UTV? Not all of us are privvy to the meanings of those abbreviations. A little help please?
I googled it and couldn’t find any useful technical information, hence I also would appreciate some insight. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Don't be lazy. Use the Google. Look it up.
I googled it and couldn’t find any useful technical information, hence I also would appreciate some insight. Thanks!
You listening there, Member *Yorik? :)

It is far better form to present information without generating more questions than are actually answered in the first place. Telling readers to "just look it up, don't be lazy" is inconsiderate, especially when it's so easy just to spell things out (at least once) rather than using cryptic initials and abbreviations. Making readers "google it" is actually lazy, but I understand ... because it's soooo haaard to spell out something .... everything is haaaarrd ... life is haaaarrrd ... 😆

:geek:

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
(woops, screwed up this reply) ....

Try "duck duck go" ... in many ways it's better than Giggle. Less tracking of your internet movements too.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,547 Posts
When Googling you have to put your keywords into contexts such as adding metal treatment for example.
And I already told you what ISO treatment is in post #23 above.
Get Googling (y)

"With Google... you'll never die wondering" ,, they can have my slogan free plus yearly dividends :)

https://www.remchem.com/

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
When Googling you have to put your keywords into contexts such as adding metal treatment for example.
And I already told you what ISO treatment is in post #23 above.
Get Googling (y)

"With Google... you'll never die wondering" ,, they can have my slogan free plus yearly dividends :)

https://www.remchem.com/
10-4, roger that, lima charlie .. tango yankee ... code 4, 10-8

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
8,421 Posts
You listening there, Member *Yorik? :)

It is far better form to present information without generating more questions than are actually answered in the first place. Telling readers to "just look it up, don't be lazy" is inconsiderate, especially when it's so easy just to spell things out (at least once) rather than using cryptic initials and abbreviations. Making readers "google it" is actually lazy, but I understand ... because it's soooo haaard to spell out something .... everything is haaaarrd ... life is haaaarrrd ... 😆

:geek:
Yes, I am listening. If you wanted to get my attention quicker, you should have used a Mention.

Actually, what I find inconsiderate is asking others to do your work for you. I stand by my statement.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts