Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Brooklyn, NY and constantly ride my 2007 Monster 620 in and out of Manhattan and around the 5 boroughs. Sadly, she gets a lot of stop and go, but very little highway time. I've only had her since September so it's been just too damn cold for a serious road trip.

Now that it's warming up I'm thinking of taking some longer trips — my parents live in Philly and the wife and I got up to Cape Cod a lot in the summer. When I have had the opportunity get on the highway, at speed (60-80mph) she revs up to around 5-6k. Since there's no indicated redline I'm wondering if it can handle a 3+ hour ride at that intensity.

Thanks.
/Count

·
Registered
48 Posts
My wife has a 2006 Monster 620, and she let me ride it every so often. I enjoy it a lot. There is not an indicated red line on the tach, but it you rev up enough, it will start cutting out, as if you were out of gas. The motor hesitates, and stumbles. Very clearly, you will know. You will feel it. This is the rev limiter kicking in to prevent the motor from over revving and causing damage. Put it in the next gear up (eg: 3rd to 4th), the revs will fall, the stabling will stop, and you can accelerate again. I have bounced against the rev limiter several times, and it does not do any damage. Still don’t make a habit of it, because it does not do any good to the motor, and the power goes down. I think the rev limiter will kick in about 9000 RPM, but I am usually not looking at the tach at that point. The road ahead is far more interesting, especially with that acceleration. So, go for it. Find out where the rev limiter kicks in.
In a practical way, the max torque (where max acceleration occurs) is well below the red line. So is the max HP. No need to rev up to the limiter to go fast. In fact, it will slow you down due to the momentary (until you shift) loss of power.
I usually keep the rev above 4,000 RPM and below 8,000.
Rene

·
Registered
387 Posts
My wife has a 2006 Monster 620, and she let me ride it every so often. I enjoy it a lot. There is not an indicated red line on the tach, but it you rev up enough, it will start cutting out, as if you were out of gas. The motor hesitates, and stumbles. Very clearly, you will know. You will feel it. This is the rev limiter kicking in to prevent the motor from over revving and causing damage. Put it in the next gear up (eg: 3rd to 4th), the revs will fall, the stabling will stop, and you can accelerate again. I have bounced against the rev limiter several times, and it does not do any damage. Still don’t make a habit of it, because it does not do any good to the motor, and the power goes down. I think the rev limiter will kick in about 9000 RPM, but I am usually not looking at the tach at that point. The road ahead is far more interesting, especially with that acceleration. So, go for it. Find out where the rev limiter kicks in.
In a practical way, the max torque (where max acceleration occurs) is well below the red line. So is the max HP. No need to rev up to the limiter to go fast. In fact, it will slow you down due to the momentary (until you shift) loss of power.
I usually keep the rev above 4,000 RPM and below 8,000.
Rene
Did you read the question? lol, not trying to be an ass, but that was completley off-point.

To the OP: yes, it'll be fine. Most 600ish cc bikes run around that RPM for highway speeds, nothing to worry about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts