Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been doing alot of highway driving lately and since I went back to 14t front I'm taching around 4500-5000 rpm at a steady 75-80 mph . Anyone think that's too high to just hold there......i want a overdrive button !!!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Consensus is duc's lug at 4k. Drop to a taller gear get those rpms up around 6 grand!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app
Not really. I can cruise at 3k rpm without problems after my open loop adjustment. 14 tooth sprocket will raise your cruising rpm.
Btw, I cruise around with 4~5k rpm on the highway in 6th and its not a problem at all.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't think you're really going to get a knowlegdable answer on whether or not this is safe or potentially harmful in the long run...

I certainly do quite a bit of highway cruising at these same RPM ranges and have wondered the same.

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
Been doing alot of highway driving lately and since I went back to 14t front I'm taching around 4500-5000 rpm at a steady 75-80 mph . Anyone think that's too high to just hold there......i want a overdrive button !!!
In my opinion, it's perfect right where you are. You're riding dead center of the middle/peak of the Hyper's torque curve giving you the best throttle response and quickest acceleration available for changing traffic conditions.

·
Registered
210 Posts
My bike cruises at 4K under light load just fine, but any lower I consider lugging, even though it Will yank from 3500, it shakes a little, and seems happier with any load above 4000. 4500-5000 feels like the sweet spot for me for highway cruising.

·
Old Fast Guy
495 Posts
Nah, you're fine. If your hands and feet aren't going numb from hanging on, then all is well with the engine. I ride the piss out of my 1100. I'm having issues with the termi exh can blowing out the welds though!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I put most of my 20k miles on my 800 monster on the freeway, mostly between 75-85 mph. No issues with running at 4800-5300 rpm, although I did wish for a taller sixth for cruising at a lower rpm.

·
Registered
239 Posts
But don't all the Hypers run up to 8k? Can you still feel your fingers after a ride?:) I'd have thought you are fine at 4.5-5K & so is the motor.

Didn't you have a 15t before? The bigger front drops your revs a tad at the expense of acceleration & might give the motor an easier time if that's your worry.

I don't feel I've had enough time / miles on mine to really get grasp of an ideal long term set up on it (if there is such a thing). Just enjoying riding it stock & trying to make time for some longer trips. Might get into sprockets after that.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yeah the 15t was better for highway use but the 14 is way more fun around town and back roads and the 2nd gear wheelies are fun too . I'm sticking with the 14 ( way more torque) . Just getting everyones input on holding a steady 5000 rpm's going 80 mph for longer periods of time. As far as mods , I am done !! Only thing left would be cams and pistons and I'm just not putting that kind if $$$ in a 796 !! Besides I'm more than happy anyway. My baby hyper is plenty fast for what it is .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts