Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant be the only one that gets a little tired of my bike being refered to as a "crotchrocket". It makes me feel my DUC is being lumped in with the other full fairng bikes(big four).
Also I live in the land of HD here in Wi. so lots of Harley riders assume Im on a "rice rocket". Usually when they hear the exhaust note, they realize they arent the only ones with a bad-ass twin between there legs!

B
PS......proud to ride a Pasta-rocket"

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't care that much about what other people think of my bike, the sound is usually enough - as you have noted - for most riders to discern it from an I4. It does bother me a bit that the attitude of many hog riders - at least here in W. Mass, prevents them from returning a wave or a nod. Maybe they're mad that there are so many hogs on the road? ;)

Not to hijack, but WI is a pretty nice place, barring the ubiquitous cheese on every menu item in every restaurant. I'm doing field work in central WI this summer, around Mosinee. Some very cool undescribed late Cambrian arthropods and invertebrate trackways. When I was there earlier this summer, I ordered a cesar salad at a local eatery, and there was cheddar cheese on it along with the anchovies. Surprised that there was no cheddar ice cream with little chunks of cheese curd in it. Harleys everywhere. I saw only one sportbike the whole week I was there - a CBR - but I was staring at rocks most of the time.

·
Administrator
5,812 Posts
I agree it has negative connotations.

But then again, when I am riding, I do feel like I am on a rocket.....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Carpoids, Edarioasteroids & Cystoids Oh MY!!! :D
Cambrian... When Trilobites, Jiggerbites and Mosquitos Collided
aimlessly in the mist... :eek:

Have family near Hayward, Wis. nice back roads. but way to many Harleys
watched one yesterday, never (in several miles) touched the front brake &
riding two up :confused: I dont get it
If Harley ever gets in the Snowmobile biz Wis, will buy em all

·
Registered
551 Posts
I don't mind people calling my ride a crotchrocket (it in fact, is for all intents and purposes) but I have a distinct disdain for being called a "biker", that label will be corrected immediately upon being spewed from someone's mouth.

·
Registered
15 Posts
twowheelcossack said:
I don't mind people calling my ride a crotchrocket (it in fact, is for all intents and purposes) but I have a distinct disdain for being called a "biker", that label will be corrected immediately upon being spewed from someone's mouth.
+1 on that, I was really pissed when I registered on the Ducati website and one of the marketing questions was something like "What kind of biker are you?" a) owner b) looking... I forget the exact wording. I wonder if that was only used for U.S. customers. Ducati marketing needs to fire someone :mad:

And forget about the wave thing. I owned an hd rk for a couple of years and the wave was one of the many reasons I got rid of it. I'd be riding down an 8 lane divided highway with 30 yards of grass median and there was always some clown in the far right lane on the other side of the highway waving like he just saw a long lost brother. I don't mind an occasional nod, but I don't have the energy to wave at every rider I see.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Whatever man...

Crotchrocket = sportbike

And since the majority of people out there arent educated on the subject, You WILL be lumped in with the big 4. So unless you want to buy your whole state a copy of the latest Sport Rider...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I even have people call my Strom a crotch rocket - how's that for a label? I've come up with my own name for the cruiser crowd's bike - Bulldozers. As in heavy, slow and loud. :D

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Ya know (how's that for an accent?) I think that most people associate "crotchrocket" w/Japanese. I have had may people call my ST-3 a crotchrocket, when I tell them it is a Ducati I get that "deer in the headlight" stare from about 90% of them, the other 10% have heard about Ducatis. I on the other hand the Jap bike riders always stare at the Ducatis.

·
Super Moderator
25,923 Posts
I was sitting at a coffee shop in Chandler with my singer when a Mom (decked head to toe in Harley garb...driving a minivan) and her 4 year old little boy (also dressed head to toe in Harley garb) walked past my 749.

The little boy pointed and said "motorcycle" and the woman said, "No, that's a Rice Rocket".

There was a flood of responses coming, but I kept my mouth shut. I figured ingnorance was bliss and let her walk on.

·
Registered
25 Posts
A friend of mine walked into the church we go to and asked me if that was my crotchrocket out front. I said, 'it's got saddlebags, it's not a crotchrocket, it's a touring bike' (I have an ST). He says, "ok Touring Rocket" and ya know what, I kinda liked that!! :)

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
i'm standing in line at wendy's for lunch when this girl says, "i like motorcycles..is that your crotch-rocket? it's beautiful." to which i answered "yes. that's my bike."

recently i was gassing up & a young-ish guy on a kawi-green ninja something or other walked over to introduce himself & asked if he could just look at my bike for a minute since he'd "never seen one up close in person". i thought that was nice- no posturing about who's bike was faster (his was), who's chicken strips were bigger (mine were). nice kid on his way to work.

·
Registered
246 Posts
twowheelcossack said:
+1 on the biker comment!

·
If you ain't first, you're last!
834 Posts
here on dominic republic they tell me is that your ninja i count to 10 and tell them is a ducati what is that ? je je here iam on R1 land cant wait to get home

·
Registered
566 Posts
Just tell the Hardley Riders..this is Real Motorcyle in a SEA OF SHIT!

"you start most motorcycles you bring Ducati's & Two-Strokes to LIFE"

·
Registered
285 Posts
I got a Duc 'bagger' and i still get the crotchrocket comments too. F'em. Lifes too short to give a shit about the uniformed babel of others. They should be as lucky as me to own the best motorcycle ever made. Those who do call it a rice rocket get corrected. It's a pasta rocket dammit!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts