Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it was going to happen sometime. Everytime I replace the fairing I have to jiggle the mirror bolts around to align them and say a prayer that they will engage with the thread. There seems to be some wear at the entrance and his time I cross threaded a bolt which now refuses to insert. I am assuming this has happened to other members and was wondering at how to resolve it. Tapping it comes to mind but as the material seems to be aluminium I am concerned that I might butcher the thread. Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
497 Posts
If it's that bad you have no choice but to go to the next size up. Could move over to an american size or go with a helicoil. Yep, there a pain. I am using lockwashers on mine now.

·
Super Moderator
4,671 Posts
I would try running the same size tap through it first....maybe just the first thread or two is buggered up...worth a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
352 Posts
I would first try re-tapping it but with a bolt of the proper size and thread by putting a slice in the bolt lengthwise and part of the way along the threads. This is less aggressive than a full blown tap. You can do this with a Dremel and a thin emery wheel. The problem here is that much of the aluminum thread has probably been worn away. I would also take a look at Time Certs which I feel are better than Helicoils if you have room for the small flange on top. These are installed with red Loctite and are very secure, but they ain't cheap.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Chuck the stock mirrors and go with ones from FAR, SpA. Can be purchased through Moto Science. I like mine way better than the stock ones.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the useful suggestions. All seem feasible. I will start with the slotted bolt of the same size as I have seen that as a potential option elsewhere and seems the simplest if it works. The main issue is the first few mms, not the entire thread. I will then consider the tapping option or if all fails, the helicoil. I can purchase a kit for the relevant sized bolt. Had a look at the replacement mirrors from motion science and they look like the final answer. The best bit with those is that they are bolted from the inside of the fairing and do not require the jiggling through the rubber boot to align the bolts. Am really tempted to purchase the replacement mirrors but in the meantime it means no riding until the mirrors are on the bike!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems the simplest solution is often the one that works I slotted a similar sized bolt with a hacksaw, ran a nut up and down to remove rough burrs, slightly tapered and filled the leading edge, and the bolt slid into the mirror socket. Seems only the first few threads were the issue. Mirrors on and time for a ride.

·
Ducati Designs
1,123 Posts
I posted this on ducati.ms about 20 years ago.

You need the following parts, available from www.mcmastercarr.com, a major hardware supply company with great e-commerce features on their site:

Qty 4 - P/N 6390 K22, Metric Phenolic 4-arm knobs W/M6 Blind Hole Thread, 32mm dia, Unit price $1.47 ea

Qty 4 – P/N 93805 A323, Metric 18-8 SS Full Thread Stud, 6mm X 30mm, Unit price $0.77 ea

Thread the studs into the mirror bases about 3/8” deep using some thread-locking compound (Loctite).

When the Loctite has dried, install the mirrors easily by slipping the studs into the holes in the fairing (handily holding the mirrors in place) whilst threading on the knobs from below.

I use a little grease on the threads to prevent galling, and just snug them tight.

pg

Well it was going to happen sometime. Everytime I replace the fairing I have to jiggle the mirror bolts around to align them and say a prayer that they will engage with the thread. There seems to be some wear at the entrance and his time I cross threaded a bolt which now refuses to insert. I am assuming this has happened to other members and was wondering at how to resolve it. Tapping it comes to mind but as the material seems to be aluminium I am concerned that I might butcher the thread. Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That just seems so logical..after it has been suggested! Excellent idea. The next time the mirrors are off that's what I will do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts