Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
I just started building my new race bike for next season, KTM 380 (2-stroke) this bike has a wicked amount of power. I found a loaded 125sx with ohlins shock and applied triple with KYBs done by Enzo, everything should swap over to the 380 frame. should have it ready to go in a couple days

·
Registered
676 Posts
Gotta see this when it’s ready! Sounds awesome. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I am actually planning on doing a race down near Houston the first weekend in December, I'm planning on bringing the 380 if its ready, if you come by ill let you ride it!

·
Registered
56 Posts
The shop I work at just brought in a low km Monster 1200 on trade, it's very tempting. There is also photo and rumor circulating that Yamaha has a new XT500 Dual Sport about to drop. Waiting to see what get announced at the Italian and German motorcycle shows. If a modern XT500 comes to North America, I'm in.
It's the new Tenere 700. Looks like a sweet option. However, it remains to be seen if it will come to the USA as the previous versions never did and there are a lot of unsold 1200 Tenere's here now.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sure would be sweet. Unfortunately, the likelihood of it going into production is pretty slim.
I have wanted a KTM 640 Adventure for a very long time. Hopefully, the KTM 690/790 LC8 engined demo/concept being shown around enters the market in 2019 as suggested in various places. The Yamaha 700 Tenere is the other one I have my eye on.

I have come close to getting a BMW Sertao or Dakar but, finding one that is priced for condition is a real challenge. Either they want too much for an out of production model or, they sell in two blinks of the eye (which why they are so expensive in the first place :surprise:).

A clean BWM RT might end up getting the nod first as the weather and wind protection is becoming more important as I get into longer rides (multiday multistate). I never have been a naked bike sort of guy but, the new Moster 821 is tempting as is the Multistrada though they are getting close in price to a nice Mustang or SUV pseudo-adventure option.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just started building my new race bike for next season, KTM 380 (2-stroke) this bike has a wicked amount of power. I found a loaded 125sx with ohlins shock and applied triple with KYBs done by Enzo, everything should swap over to the 380 frame. should have it ready to go in a couple days
I rode a KTM MX380 once. That thing was a real beast and so far ahead of my skill level at the time, I'm grateful I didn't seriously hurt myself.

Good luck with the upgrades!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have wanted a KTM 640 Adventure for a very long time. Hopefully, the KTM 690/790 LC8 engined demo/concept being shown around enters the market in 2019 as suggested in various places. The Yamaha 700 Tenere is the other one I have my eye on.
The KTM 790 concept looks awesome. I really like the direction some of these mid size adventure bikes are going. The problem for me is the seat height, all though the KTM looks reasonable. I work in a shop that sells BMW and Yamaha so if purchasing new I'd stick to those two brands. I fit the current BMW 700GS or a factory lowered 800GS. I suspect the new 750/850GS will be similar. The current Yamaha WR250R is way too tall for me and just going from the pics/videos and the comment made by one of the presenters at EIMCA I suspect the 700 Tenere will be too tall for me also.

We are a Ducati dealer also so a Desert Sled still remains a possibility. We have over 2000 kms of gravel roads in the province I live in, I want a bike suitable to explore them. If i was being logical I'd just get a Suzuki DR650SE, which we also sell, and be done with it. It's really all I would need. Motorcycles are rarely sold based on logic, haha.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The KTM 790 concept looks awesome. I really like the direction some of these mid size adventure bikes are going. The problem for me is the seat height, all though the KTM looks reasonable. I work in a shop that sells BMW and Yamaha so if purchasing new I'd stick to those two brands. I fit the current BMW 700GS or a factory lowered 800GS. I suspect the new 750/850GS will be similar. The current Yamaha WR250R is way too tall for me and just going from the pics/videos and the comment made by one of the presenters at EIMCA I suspect the 700 Tenere will be too tall for me also.

We are a Ducati dealer also so a Desert Sled still remains a possibility. We have over 2000 kms of gravel roads in the province I live in, I want a bike suitable to explore them.
I spent some time out towards Banff and absolutely loved it. I hope to be back next Spring or Summer to explore the Jasper, AB area. A dual sport or adventure bike up there would be awesome for me as the scenery, people and, places would be even better outside of the 'cage'!

At ~5'6" and a 31" inseam, I'm not the tallest guy around. However, my KLX-250S with tweaked suspension is ~34.5" tall. No flat-footing at a stoplight, it can be a bit awkward in tight parking and, a bit intimidating to many when they first try it on for size. However, once used to it, it really isn't much (or any) of a problem in normal riding. I find the high 'perch' to be a real asset riding in and around traffic as it lets me see the "Griswold's" far enough in advance to avoid the craziness.

Isn't the Yamaha WR250R 37"+ in seat height with ~12"/13" of suspension travel? That is pretty tall for anyone but an experienced off-road rider. The other thing to consider is width at the base of the tank and footpegs. A Suzuki Vstrom 650 is much more 'unsteady' for me than my KLX or KTM dirt bike because even with a taller seat the suspension sag and narrow frame don't 'SPLAY' my legs like that Vstrom. Is a BMW GS with the low seat too tall for you? It looks a bit tall for me but, I found the normal seat model to be a good fit for my frame.

While I like the larger adventure bikes, I don't need or want the extra bulk even if they have another 60+ horsepower. The big KTM adventures are more motorcycle than I really want as I ride single exclusively and don't travel with a sleeper sofa and 80qt ice chest. My little KLX-250S is a wonderful ride on country roads but, getting passed by a Greyhound bus or Semi-truck on the Interstate just throws me all over the road. It also lacks the horsepower to accelerate at highways speeds out of harm's way.

This is what brings me back to wanting something like a KTM-640 Adventure or BMW Dakar of old or, a ~500~550 pound 'wet' dual sport or adventure bike with power a KLR-650 lacks or the range an XL-650 can only dream off.

For what you are wanting, a new BMW GS650 wouldn't be a bad way to go if ~45HP isn't a problem and, the price point leaves plenty left over for gas money to extend your travels.

·
Administrator
12,244 Posts
The Goose is very cool, just not sure about that sissy bar... any insight on that?

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
I'd like to have an Aprilia. As for me the fourth bike is the '04 SSDS and I need to thin the herd sometime soon. What to do....what to do....:confused:

·
Registered
126 Posts
O well, I'm not looking for performance in a second ride. Mine is an old Trumpy 750 5 speed from 1973.
It's not the most ideal bike for many reasons but I found a local bloke with another quite similar and it's good to ride together.
It's much slower and handles and stops much worse than the Duke of course, but i'm thinking it's going to be quite a fun ride if it keeps on going.
Mine is in the foreground.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts