Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
We are getting maxed out. My wife has two 1982 Gpz 550s, a 1995 900SS and a 2002 VFR 800. I have a 1986 NS400R, a 1994 900SS, a 1998 R1100S and a 2007 ST3S. I am thinking that a 955i Daytona would be a nice addition.

·
Super Moderator
4,895 Posts
Lots of second bikes spring to mind...if I only had the room and the money. I like the looks of the BMW Nine-T Racer (took one for a test drive...neat, but I was cramped) and the Triumph Thruxton R (wonderful sound, nice riding position). I'd like a superbike before I get too old...a 998 sounds about right. Then there's my buddy's 1973 Guzzi that needs restoration (been toying with the idea of a project bike). Maybe a KTM Superduke...I want to be able to lift the front wheel on a whim. :wink2:

·
Registered
382 Posts
A 2-stroke. For the noise, the smell of Castrol R and all the other memories.

Just missed a decent looking '74 Suzuki GT 380 for $1300, passed on an ugly looking '74 Kawasaki H2 for $2700. A Yamaha RD 250 or 350 LC would be nice, all the rage when I was in high school in the UK.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Me, too! I'm getting ready to put up a storage shed in the back yard so I can move gardening equipment, etc., out of the garage to make room for more motorcycles! I've been starting to look for a nice '77 RD400 in French Blue, like the one my college buddy bought new back in '77 (man, did I lust over that bike...), or possibly a '79 Daytona Special.

RING, ding, ding, ding, ding! :yeah:

·
Registered
70 Posts

Just missed a decent looking '74 Suzuki GT 380 for $1300, passed on an ugly looking '74 Kawasaki H2 for $2700. A Yamaha RD 250 or 350 LC would be nice, all the rage when I was in high school in the UK.
Yep, definitely a 2 stroke :laugh: I have an RG500 that shares space in the garage with the Ducati My STS4S is quicker (though not by much) and handles better but the extra weight makes it feel like a complete tank in comparison. The ST4S is a better trackday bike but for a fun blast out on the road the RG500 wins every time!

Keith

·
Administrator
12,235 Posts
Would you consider a dual sport to play around on? 4 years ago I got my wife a XT250 and she loved putting around on the back roads and woods with me. This year she got herself a KTM 350 because she was enjoy it so much.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Had most of the old school bikes mentioned up thread, at least rode the rest. Newer bikes don't thrill me, but I have got to say my money might get thrown toward that KTM390 with the track options - great bike, a real fun and easy rider that you can throw around on the street or the track. If your girl had fun with a Buell, its like that only 300 pounds lighter. And there are new 2015 models still in the showroom for $4k

If they made a real sport bike version of the KTM690, they would have already had my money for a third bike.

How I feel riding the KTM690,...

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,822 Posts
How I feel riding the KTM690,...

Lol! You should try my 690! I put the Euro “R” version forks and shock on it which raises it 1 1/2” more. When I stop I have to slide off the side of the seat just to get the toes down on one side.

I thought about the 390 but when I really started looking the 390 and 690 weigh essentially the same but the 690 has 30 more hp.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
My wife has been enjoying her Monster 620. It is a fun bike upon which to bomb around town. Nice and torquey for a smaller displacement bike. Cheap to run and insure. Powerful enough (in the lower rev range) to squirt by traffic easily, not so powerful that a ham-fisted throttle gets her into trouble. Maintenance is easy as everything is accessible. Note though that (at least on hers) the tank does not have a drain hole, so should you need to remove all the fuel from it (to send it for painting, for example), it's an inconvenience. My wife's 620 came with a headlight fairing and seat cowl. The headlight fairing is large enough to take a noticeable amount of windblast away at highway speeds. She's comfortable riding it for a few hours, no issue. She's also 5' 4" and can flat-foot it in her riding boots - a big confidence booster for her given she's still increasing her riding skills.

If I could make any one improvement to the Monster 620, I would say it needs a 6th gear for cruising interstate speeds (i.e. indicated 75 mph).

·
Premium Member
3,984 Posts
I thought about the 390 but when I really started looking the 390 and 690 weigh essentially the same but the 690 has 30 more hp.
I too wanted the RC390 to be sold as the RC690, it should be that just right mix of power and weight. Enough I kept pestering everyone I could connected with KTM and what I have been told is that it will not happen for a couple reasons.
1. RC390 is made only in India
2. 690 motors are made only in Austria
the company have no interest is sending motors to India or chassis to Austria so it will not happen, bummer as the Duke 390 and 690 are a great match but are not RC bikes.

the 790 twin that I hope makes it into a RC style chassis.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The shop I work at just brought in a low km Monster 1200 on trade, it's very tempting. There is also photo and rumor circulating that Yamaha has a new XT500 Dual Sport about to drop. Waiting to see what get announced at the Italian and German motorcycle shows. If a modern XT500 comes to North America, I'm in.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I've been starting to look for a nice '77 RD400 in French Blue, like the one my college buddy bought new back in '77 (man, did I lust over that bike...)
Hehe, I'm in flight on a '76 RD400. It's in bits, looks all there and pretty good, but I'm not planning to restore to stock. Fingers crossed...

21 - 40 of 59 Posts