Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sad day. Dumped my 996 trying to avoid impact with a deer. Got the speed down, but the right side is damaged. Heart breaking. I spent a year and a half and all my spare change bringing this very neglected 1999 996s back to life. It was nearly perfect in every respect.

So, through my tears, wondering if one of you has a right side upper and lower fairing set, and a headlight cowling, all in red color, for sale?

Prices for just the three parts are over $1500 new from Ducati Omaha. Can't afford those prices. On top of it I need a mirror, a mirror support bracket, a new right side air duct.....oy vey.

Or, any opinions on the numerous inexpensive Chinese knock offs available on e-bay?

Thanks!

Jay

·
Premium Member
8,668 Posts
Sorry to hear that man, at least you are OK. I've seen a number of fairings for different models for sale here and on Ebay, even Craigslist. But, you already know that. I'll bet you will find something soon, I hope anyway.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Mandatory red or are you open to getting them painted??

·
Registered
473 Posts
Don't buy Chinese crap. Lick your wounds and run it naked - the bike, not you. That is, unless you're a super hot chick stripper with stage name of Jay. hey it could happen.. Gather the pieces to put yr baby back together from fleabay or sellers here.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Vehicles are only original once.

OEM fairings have always been $$$, so aftermarket or used is your only option if $1500 is too steep.

Ebay will occasionally pop up with the exact items you need.

·
Registered
405 Posts
There's no guarantee that the panels you buy will be the same red as what you have, you should expect to have to paint them to match.

Sorry to hear you had a spill mate, as long as you're ok the rest is doable.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Titan, where are you located? I have an extra complete right side fairing and nose in red. Not 100% condition, but they’re yours if you want them.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Damn, sorry to hear dude. Wiped out on my 748R back in may too and finally got the nose and tail back from painter Wednesday. If you keep your eyes peeled OE bodywork does come up here and there. Just gotta be patient.

Good luck with the repairs, you'll get it back in one piece again before you know it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all replies guys. I will take your advice and not buy the chinese repops.

After letting the disappointment fade for a couple days, I took a really good look at the bike last night. Looks like mostly road rash. No ground through holes. The right side lower fairings is cracked where it came into contact with the clutch cover. Maybe if I'd had a carbon clutch cover, it would have given way and saved the fairing from cracking. Major damage to the front cowling. It's done for. Cracked right in half horizontally through the headlight openings. Weird. And the right intake tube. Fubar'd. Turn signal riv-nut ripped right out of the tube, with multiple cracks radiating out from the hole, all layers of carbon around the hole torn and delaminated. Anybody got a spare Ducati Performance right air intake tube they would be willing to part with? Or a front cowling?

I'm very stiff and sore, only a small abrasion on the side of my right knee. Didn't even put a hole through my pant leg. Could have been a lot worse. Good brakes and thankfully still quick reflexes for an old guy, not to mention a bike that handles beautifully, saved my bacon. If I had been on my K75, oy. Would have been REALLY ugly.

I'm in California, to answer that question.

Jay

·
Registered
425 Posts
The right side lower fairings is cracked where it came into contact with the clutch cover. Maybe if I'd had a carbon clutch cover, it would have given way and saved the fairing from cracking.

Jay
Sorry to hear
If you had a carbon clutch cover you’d probably be adding a clutch hub to you list of needed items

Attachments

·
Registered
534 Posts
Sorry to hear about your off, what hurts makes us stronger.

I would take up one of the great offers on used plastics and paint them, 15yo oem paint and new oem paint are not going to be the same shade. I had to do the very same last year, a computer will copy your 'used' oem colour and produce a perfect match.

I have a colour that has just been copied at a moto-paint suppliers and it is perfect.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
.........Ebay will occasionally pop up with the exact items you need.
Took the words outta my mouth. I needed a left upper fairing for a Duc I once owned and looked off and on for months. I eventually for a NOS piece in a different color figuring I'd have it painted. About two weeks after I received it the exact piece in red showed up on eBay for a stupid low price. As for you your emotions are a bit raw so just keep a positive attitude and keep searching, it'll turn up!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts