Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start with a disclaimer: "I'm an idiot and I hate myself for doing this to my bike!" However, I will not encourage you to agree with me...:eek:
I was looking forward to today's ride and such a beautiful fall day it was. I started out with a buddy of mine on his GSX-R 600 up a canyon with nice hairpin turns and such. I hit the first 2 turns just right and on the 3rd (lefthander) I was almost out of it when for some reason I hesitated for just a moment which was enough to stand my bike up. At that time I hit the gravel on the shoulder which prompted me to go into offroad riding mode - stand up and ride through the deep ditch - that worked ok for 20ft or so until the damn ditch took a sharp turn left and I was left with trying to jump out of the ditch. That didn't work so well and I endoed landing on my left hip on the side of the ditch. When I picked my bike up I was horrified! clutch perch and lights block gone, lower rad and fairing mangled, tail section busted and dents in my tank. Coolant was pouring out... what an idiot!
On closer inspection I think none of the critical parts got damaged such as fork, frame, engine or wheels. I think the bike is still very true and easily repairable. I guess this is my opportunity to justify those aftermarket bar-end mirrors...:)
On the bright side, I managed to slow myself down from 60mph to make this a low speed crash, maybe 15-20mph when I endoed. It turned out my dirt riding skills made up for my lack of fast road riding experience. I only suffered a minor bruise on my left hip but my ego is totally busted.
Lessons learned:
-target fixation leads to blown corners -get track training
-Full leather suit will save your hide (had an Alpinestar RC-1 two piece on)
-Try to ride within your ability on the streets. This could have been ugly had it been a cliff or other car instead of the ditch
Sorry about the long rant, here are some pictures

·
Registered
91 Posts
You survived, and you learned a lot.

My friend threw up from disgust after crashing his new CBR1000RR. I mean like right there on the side of the road!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Glad you are mostly okay and I hope you heal up quickly and completely...much as we love our bikes (in a way cagers can't understand) we have to remember that they are objects that can be fixed or replaced.

If I may add a commentary...when you are on a public road, ride well beneath your limits as well as the bike's. Riding close to those limits removes any realistic margin you have in the event something happens that you didn't anticipate. Gravel, leaves, a wet patch, a small crack or hole in the pavement, animals and many other things can quickly erode even a large safety margin.

In short, tracks are a great place to explore limits, but not public roads.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
sorry to hear about this... but it could be a lot worse... you're ok, and the bike doesn't seem that bad...

if you're craving a track day go for it... it's a lot of fun... but even with track days.. sometimes shit like this happens... all the gear all the time i say...

at least your bike seems like it will be an easy fix... bruised body and ego's heal quick enough..

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yikes, glad to hear you made it out ok!

Good luck with the repairs :)
Tough day, but you were well-equipped and survived unscathed. Take the lessons from the experience and move forward. Best regards,

·
Premium Member
2012 Matte Black SFS
434 Posts
I feel you pain...I crashed mine at the track and seeing those photos, it just eerily looked like my crash, except you have more damage. I'm glad you are ok!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I apreciate the thoughts and tactful advice. Luckily I have full coverage so I will just have to spring the deductible. I have a track day scheduled on Oct 10 but now I don't know if I will make that. It may take a while to get all the parts in and put it back together.
Then, if I do make it to the track, I would probably be riding with visions of more potential damage to my bike. Crashing sucks, but what better way to find your limits I guess...
Regardless, I'm over it and hoping to get some more riding in before snow gets in the way, if not, load up and go south...I like Arizona roads.
I also have a dirt bike that begs to be ridden, haven't been on it for over a week now...feels like cheating on Francesca with Helga though :D
Cheers

·
Registered
247 Posts
What a downer man :( But like freight says, it could have been so much worse ! Funny how that wee niggle gets into your head at a bend, and makes you panic when there's really no need !

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I'm glad you're fine, the bike will shine again soon enough, I'm sure!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Sorry, dude. Yeah, crashing sucks (I know all too well). You still seem to be quite optimistic, so good for you! Hang in there.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You were lucky to have the ditch there and smart to have your riding gear on. The trick for all of us is to be much smarter than we are lucky. Glad you're okay and surely a little more cautious nowadays.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts