Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I had the opportunity to ride on the world famous Assen track. Hadn't ridden there before, but gave it a whirl. First session went well, overtook a lot of supersports in the bends who then flew past me on the straights, and then I outbraked them again into the corners. It was a lot of fun.

Then 2nd session, there was someone riding in front of me on my lines, but very slow. I wanted to overtake him just before the corner, but for some reason he decided to slam on the brakes, which lead me to do the same. However, my front end didn't appreciate this and slid away. Crashed hard and all I could think about was my bike and my new suit. I've had the suit for literally 1 day, because I crashed my last suit 2 weeks ago on a KTM.

It's a lot of money down the drain and as a poor student I can't afford to pay the bills and fix the bike as well. So pissed at that guy, also at myself though. My knee is sprained, my calf is sore and same with the shoulder, but that will heal for free.

Did get some good pics before I went down though.

One really annoying factor on the track was the rearsets hitting the ground in every corner, I felt like I had so much more lean angle left.

I'll asses the damage tomorrow, but I think it won't be cheap. Quick look around the bike: Front right fairing, rear right fairing, right rearset, handlebar and throttle tube, front beak needs some paint touch-up, new levers and new leathers, again....

Still, I got pretty hooked on track riding, I actually wanted to jump back on the bike after the crash but my rearset didn't allow me to, too bad:rolleyes:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sorry to hear about the fall. It's never fun going down.

BTW, are you wearing tissue paper for leathers? Most leathers will last longer than one spill.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to hear about the fall. It's never fun going down.

BTW, are you wearing tissue paper for leathers? Most leathers will last longer than one spill.
I'm wearing Dainese Laguna Seca, and for some reason it went through at the knees again. I didn't go down hard, maybe 60km/h so I don't get it. I'll be e-mailing them because this is my 2nd pair of leathers that have worn through that part after a low speed crash. This shouldn't happen with €900 leathers.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Bummer man, I am glad that you are ok (relatively)! Maybe there is somebody local who does suit repair, I have had large sections replaced before. Hopefully Dainese steps up for you.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. There are repair shops for the suit, but I don't know if they can fix it cheap, otherwise I might go for a 2nd hand suit this time.

Weirdest thing is though, my gloves survived this crash without much damage. They've been through 3 crashes now, and so have my boots, but for some reason my suits keep ripping through the leather:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Sorry about the get off but I'm glad you're alright. My Grandfather always said that's the reason they sell spares. You can repair or replace bikes and leather, but it's tough to order another Drinky. Most of us have been there and wish you a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Glad you're ok.

If you plan on taking the Hyper at the track more often, you should consider swapping the expensive Italian plastic with cheap carbon fiber from ECC or Crown on ebay.
2 side fairing and nose will be about 400$ + maybe 50$ for a 3M vynil wrap of the color of your choice.

I beleive Dainese has a repair service.
Last summer I crashed with my brand new Dainese Alien Jacket. I got surgery done in France and while I was there recovering I went to a Dainese pro-shop to get a new one and that's when they offered me to send it back to the Italy (or wherever they make them now) to get all the parts scrached replaced.
I turned down the offer, as the Jacket was still in Montreal.

I crashed and slided at 100km/h or so, the leather parts are still in a very good shape, but the black stretchy part took serious damage.

Wish you good recovery.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Isn't a crash expeceted on track days?
I would say no. I don't go into a trackday expecting to crash but I do plan for one just in case (spares, sliders, etc). It's about having fun exploring yourself and the machine and in my case making it to work the next day :D

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hey Drinky, sucks to hear you crashed. Get well soon.

About the bike, I might have a right rearset somewhere, also if you need a right hand side tank fairing, I have one in red in my basement. Oh, I have a stock handlebar with rash on one side, just in case you don´t want to spend 200+ on a new item.

For the track you´ll end up making a custom rearset anyway. If you need some tips after your wallet is out of rehab, send me a PM with your email address and I´ll show you some pics of how my buddy and me did it.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Drinky, sucks to hear you crashed. Get well soon.

About the bike, I might have a right rearset somewhere, also if you need a right hand side tank fairing, I have one in red in my basement. Oh, I have a stock handlebar with rash on one side, just in case you don´t want to spend 200+ on a new item.

For the track you´ll end up making a custom rearset anyway. If you need some tips after your wallet is out of rehab, send me a PM with your email address and I´ll show you some pics of how my buddy and me did it.
Thanks Ben, I'll PM you in a sec.

Still feels like shit to drop the bike like this, especially after I'd just spent a lot of money on it. What this has thought me though is that there are squids everywhere.

Some gruesome pics:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Bummer on the get off, like others have said, glad you are OK. Too bad you didn't crash a few weeks ago :rolleyes: I was in Den Haag and have a few spare bits and pieces I could has stashed in my luggage for the trip 'cross the big pond.:D

·
Registered
309 Posts
I got a set of stock bars you can have, just pay for the shipping and packaging materials to get them from here to there. Pm me if you want em, I went with pro-tapers to get more rise and a little more width, also to get rid of the ducati knows best roll pins to locate the controls on the bars.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got a set of stock bars you can have, just pay for the shipping and packaging materials to get them from here to there. Pm me if you want em, I went with pro-tapers to get more rise and a little more width, also to get rid of the ducati knows best roll pins to locate the controls on the bars.
Oh, that would be really nice. I'll PM you in a sec.

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,234 Posts
Glad you are ok. What a blast to be able to ride that track. Totally envy you European guys!!

Auto corect disabledh

·
Registered
239 Posts
Bad Luck. Using your road bike on a track day is always going to be a risk. At least you came out ok. Sprained knee sounds like you landed hard on it, at least the leathers saved your kneecap! In xx years of racing I've only had 2 2nd-hand suits - & just keep repairing! Cheapskate racing. I think the good custom suits like Crowtree here use heavier grades of hide - they definitely take more punishment than some off the shelf ones I've seen. But even the best will burst seams or wear through after a big get off or 2. Ist time I wore my new boots I crashed & made a mess of 'em. It's called Sods Law.
Nasty panel damage - I guess they're ABS & difficult to repair? Can you fibre-glass & fill these? I've never tried but it might be tidy enough for another track day....

·
Registered
607 Posts
Woah....Woah...Woah...Woah...............WHAT?

Why don't you post how to make custom rearsets for everyone?

Please.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally got some money to put towards the bike, now if only the insurance would pay for my previous crash on the street, I'd have enough to restore her to her former glory.

Doubting if I should go for the 170 euro race rearsets, or put 50 euro's down and get the stock ones. Also, anybody got recommendations for an aftermarket handlebar? I actually quite like the position of the stock ones, just don't like the price Ducati is asking for them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts