Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
You might consider adding an upset switch before your next race. Race bikes end up on their sides, or worse, fairly frequently compared to street bikes. There may be some room between the cylinders, and your tip-over switch could be wired in place of the side stand switch. I think the actual switches are inexpensive and compact. Just make sure you mount it solidly, it wouldn't do to have it vibrate loose!

Reactions: Racereese

·
Registered
2005 999S
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ouch! I think the broken thumb would be the worst of it, at least for me.

If one of the DKB guys can confirm that Ducati uses lead/copper bearings thats where I would start. Especially with a broken collarbone and thumb I assume it will be a minute before you will get back to racing. And Blackstone has pretty quick turnaround usually. That will at least tell you if the bearings were stressed.
Ok will do thanks and ya the thumb sucks.mostly because I am uncoordinated with that hand. And I keep bashing the dam thing lol.

·
Registered
2005 999S
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
You might consider adding an upset switch before your next race. Race bikes end up on their sides, or worse, fairly frequently compared to street bikes. There may be some room between the cylinders, and your tip-over switch could be wired in place of the side stand switch. I think the actual switches are inexpensive and compact. Just make sure you mount it solidly, it wouldn't do to have it vibrate loose!
Great idea.

·
Registered
SR71: 2005 Black ST4s, Ducati perf pkg. Weapon of Ass Destruction: 1997 Red MG Sport 1100i
62 Posts
If I didn't want to do a diagnostic tear down, waiting for the results of the oil analysis sounds like a good starting point. If that looked promising I would then pull the plugs and use my fiber optic scope to look at the cylinder bores. From there I would crank it over by hand and if it wasn't making any weird noises I would spin it with the starter for a few revs, with the plugs still removed and listen carefully.

That said, according to the oil flow diagram for a 999 posted in this thread...

... it looks like the oil pickup tube is located in the center of the sump, which would make it seem likely that it was sucking air while the engine was running on its side for 5 minutes. Whether the synthetic oil film would have held up at idle for that amount of time I can't say, but you may have gotten lucky with that aspect of things. At minimum the oil pump may have experienced some wear/damage. On the 996 it can be removed with minimal tear down and this may also be true for the 999.

Since I'm new to the Ducati world I have not torn one of these motors down so I don't know how much work is involved in looking at the main bearings, but since they tend to get oil first, and would thus be expected to be the first to show damage from oil starvation, they would tell you if further digging was necessary.

If I suspected that they were damaged or I just wanted to know for sure I would take the bull by the tail and tear it down. If all looks good, you have piece of mind. If it doesn't look so good, you will likely be dealing with much less damage/repair than if you just fire it up and wail on it.

·
Registered
2005 999S
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
If I didn't want to do a diagnostic tear down, waiting for the results of the oil analysis sounds like a good starting point. If that looked promising I would then pull the plugs and use my fiber optic scope to look at the cylinder bores. From there I would crank it over by hand and if it wasn't making any weird noises I would spin it with the starter for a few revs, with the plugs still removed and listen carefully.

That said, according to the oil flow diagram for a 999 posted in this thread...

... it looks like the oil pickup tube is located in the center of the sump, which would make it seem likely that it was sucking air while the engine was running on its side for 5 minutes. Whether the synthetic oil film would have held up at idle for that amount of time I can't say, but you may have gotten lucky with that aspect of things. At minimum the oil pump may have experienced some wear/damage. On the 996 it can be removed with minimal tear down and this may also be true for the 999.

Since I'm new to the Ducati world I have not torn one of these motors down so I don't know how much work is involved in looking at the main bearings, but since they tend to get oil first, and would thus be expected to be the first to show damage from oil starvation, they would tell you if further digging was necessary.

If I suspected that they were damaged or I just wanted to know for sure I would take the bull by the tail and tear it down. If all looks good, you have piece of mind. If it doesn't look so good, you will likely be dealing with much less damage/repair than if you just fire it up and wail on it.
I just received my oil sample kit that was recommended by this group. I just had surgery on my collarbone so I’m a few days I will be getting my sample mailed back out. As soon as results come in I will share them with you all. I have worked on cars but not on bikes. But I figure bad bearings are bad bearings. The scope thing is a great idea. Going to go get one.

·
Registered
SR71: 2005 Black ST4s, Ducati perf pkg. Weapon of Ass Destruction: 1997 Red MG Sport 1100i
62 Posts
I just received my oil sample kit that was recommended by this group. I just had surgery on my collarbone so I’m a few days I will be getting my sample mailed back out. As soon as results come in I will share them with you all. I have worked on cars but not on bikes. But I figure bad bearings are bad bearings. The scope thing is a great idea. Going to go get one.
I bought mine a few years ago at the Great Wal of China Mart, for about $80. Don't know if they still sell them.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I bought mine a few years ago at the Great Wal of China Mart, for about $80. Don't know if they still sell them.
I have not used the oil test kits so you may want to throw a note in explaining what you are looking for and why. OTOH, might be unnecessary...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just wondering how the shoulder is doing, and what were the results of the oil test. I'm curious about how your engine did after running on its side. I'll bet it actually ran for a lot less than ten seconds. Take a look at your watch and time ten seconds. It's longer than it seems, and in the heat of a race-track crash a couple seconds could seem a lot longer.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
if the contaminant is magnetic, its not plain bearings. If it sparkles, its most likely brass or copper, trans debris. Lead babbit from plain bearings would need analysis, or at least a view under a microscope. You can identify it if its big enough.

·
Registered
2005 999S
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Just wondering how the shoulder is doing, and what were the results of the oil test. I'm curious about how your engine did after running on its side. I'll bet it actually ran for a lot less than ten seconds. Take a look at your watch and time ten seconds. It's longer than it seems, and in the heat of a race-track crash a couple seconds could seem a lot longer.
Doing good thanks for asking. Had my surgery and will go back to doc in a couple weeks. Hopefully I can start physical therapy. Still waiting on my sample results. Sent it off late as I wanted to collect it myself and was messed up after surgery. Everything took so long muscles had a hard time going back to normal and work just tired me out. Should be getting close to getting results. Watched the video my bike and I laid knocked out and running for 3 min. According to the video time lapse. The other racers are as mixed as all you guys. Fire it up your good or you probably ruined your bearings lol. But I will get to the bottom of it.

·
Registered
2005 999S
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
if the contaminant is magnetic, its not plain bearings. If it sparkles, its most likely brass or copper, trans debris. Lead babbit from plain bearings would need analysis, or at least a view under a microscope. You can identify it if its big enough.
So it had a glittery silver cloud and you can feel it when rubbed between your fingers. What do you think that is. It’s tough because it had that green oil in it and I have been slowly flushing it to put in maxima racing oil. Don’t know if you can see it in the picture.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I remember a few years ago Jorge Lorenzo broke his clavicle, flew back to Spain to have it plated, and raced that same weekend. I've never been a Lorenzo fan, but the guy must be superman to have done that. I've never broken a bone in a racing crash, but even so it took me a couple of races to get back to speed after a crash. I don't know how the pros can crash hard in practice, hop on a spare bike, and run the same lap times immediately.
Good luck with your recovery.

Reactions: Racereese

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
I would flush it well , fill it with oil and try it. Crank it over and build some oil pressure before starting it.
I once hung an ice racer upside down after it fell in the lake , flushed it out , refilled the fluids, and ran it. Its not guaranteed that you toasted it, just possible that you did. It will be interesting to find out. If the pump was able to spit a little oil at the bearings while on its side it might be ok.

·
Registered
2005 999S
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I remember a few years ago Jorge Lorenzo broke his clavicle, flew back to Spain to have it plated, and raced that same weekend. I've never been a Lorenzo fan, but the guy must be superman to have done that. I've never broken a bone in a racing crash, but even so it took me a couple of races to get back to speed after a crash. I don't know how the pros can crash hard in practice, hop on a spare bike, and run the same lap times immediately.
Good luck with your recovery.
Ya I don’t know how they do it. Might have worked for me since I didn’t get my plate for 3 weeks after I broke it.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts