Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2005 999S
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the inevitable happened. As I was sitting in first place for Thinderbike class. I high sided my 999 in morning warm up. Due 2 things 1) my stupid ass didn’t check my tire temperature 2) my tire warmers quit working. Checked when I got home and they were barely able to hit 100*F in a couple spots. Now I’ve searched but couldn’t find anything other then what I have been told. That they don’t have a tip over sensor and are deep sump oil pumps. So they starve oil. Bike ran for 5min max before cornerworkers were able to hit kill switch. What do I check before starting? Are there things/signs to look for before I start it? And enjoy my crash video.First highside

·
Registered
111 Posts
Still knocked out for 5 min and broke my collarbone.
Ouch! I hope you recover quickly. You know, Jorge Lorenzo raced two days after breaking his collar bone.
I high-sided many years ago on the first lap of a race, landed in the seat and though, "Holy Crap, I saved it", and started to re-enter the racing line just before another ride t-boned me. I guess he was looking at me instead of the corner. Oh well.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
If the bike was running for 5 min. laying on it's side --My guess is you are going to rebuilding that engine-----I hope not but thats what I fear--no oil to the bearings for that long--cant be good. ---My race bike Is an older BMW with carbs, But I have it set up where if the throttle closes the motorcycle shuts off--It will not run more then 5 seconds if I let go. --I did this for exactly the same reason as you just experienced. --I hope you recover well & without too much pain & discomfort.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Well the inevitable happened. As I was sitting in first place for Thinderbike class. I high sided my 999 in morning warm up. Due 2 things 1) my stupid ass didn’t check my tire temperature 2) my tire warmers quit working. Checked when I got home and they were barely able to hit 100*F in a couple spots. Now I’ve searched but couldn’t find anything other then what I have been told. That they don’t have a tip over sensor and are deep sump oil pumps. So they starve oil. Bike ran for 5min max before cornerworkers were able to hit kill switch. What do I check before starting? Are there things/signs to look for before I start it? And enjoy my crash video.First highside
I am sorry to hear about your high side & your collerbone. Heal fast!
Were you at ThunderHill?

Reactions: Racereese

·
Registered
2005 999S
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the bike was running for 5 min. laying on it's side --My guess is you are going to rebuilding that engine-----I hope not but thats what I fear--no oil to the bearings for that long--cant be good. ---My race bike Is an older BMW with carbs, But I have it set up where if the throttle closes the motorcycle shuts off--It will not run more then 5 seconds if I let go. --I did this for exactly the same reason as you just experienced. --I hope you recover well & without too much pain & discomfort.
Man was hoping not to hear that. How would I know other then just tearing it down?

·
Registered
2005 999S
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ouch! I hope you recover quickly. You know, Jorge Lorenzo raced two days after breaking his collar bone.
I high-sided many years ago on the first lap of a race, landed in the seat and though, "Holy Crap, I saved it", and started to re-enter the racing line just before another ride t-boned me. I guess he was looking at me instead of the corner. Oh well.
Dam that sucks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Man was hoping not to hear that. How would I know other then just tearing it down?
It may be that the engine was damaged, but maybe not. It sounded like the bike was just running at idle while it was on its side. Modern oils are fantastic, and the residual film may have saved the day, particularly with the low stress of running at idle. Remember that you start your bike with nothing but residual oil for lubrication. If it were my bike I'd make sure there was oil in it and start it up and see what happens. Just start it for a few seconds and listen. If all sounds good, start it again and pay attention to engine temp. It's your bike and your choice, but I think I'd just give it a try and see. After all, you aren't likely to hurt it any more by starting it and pumping oil through it.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
You could try starting it and listening to the evil demon with the hammer inside the engine---But of course you could do more damage-----Right now--you may be able to salvage a good part of it----But if you start it again you could do enough damage where you just put everything in the bin & start over. --Personally I would just take it apart and access the damage rather then risking far more,---But thats just my O.P.O.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Sorry but running & taking a nap on it's side with NO Oil Pressure for 5 min----You have done damage to this engine----But it's your bike--Do what you wish.---But if it were mine I would not even turn the engine over --I would just take it apart and access that damage & go from there. --Anyone telling you to start it & see --( It's not their money on the line) --Try to get them to sponsor you & let them purchase a new engine for you when things go south

·
Registered
111 Posts
And there you have it! When you pose a question like that on any internet forum you're going to get answers that range across the board. Rennsport seems to be VERY experienced with European bikes, and I reckon he knows far more than I do about it. In the end, it's your bike and your dough. Think it through and make the best decision you can.

Reactions: Racereese

·
Registered
2005 999S
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for all the answers. I’m not afraid of tearing into a motor. Just trying to find out what I’m looking for. Is it the bearings on the crankshaft? The pistons themselves? I truly like all the replies definitely reassures me I’m not the only one that thinks that way lol. Just trying to understand what is the integral part that gets destroyed on its side so I can look at it. Or just start stripping it apart till I find something bad in hopes once I get all the way through it and everything is good?

I do oil changes every round so hopefully nice strong lubricants saved it.

·
Registered
99' 996
78 Posts
I am going to take some what of an educated guess here because I have not studied the oiling path of a Ducati motor. But generally the main and rod bearings are fed first. And the wrist pins are fed from squirters in the rods. Then oil is fed up through the valve train. So rod and main bearings will starve quickly, which fails first will depend on clearances and condition at that point. The cylinder walls may be scored if it goes long enough. But even if they dont if I was going to tear an engine down and put rod and main bearings in it there is no way its not getting new rings as well.

Have you changed the oil since the crash? If Ducati uses traditional lead/copper bearings you could send an oil sample to Blackstone and have them do an analysis on it. If you still by chance were able to get a sample from a previous change so much the better. You could have them both tested and compare and at least have an idea. But as pointed out you risk going from replacing bearings and rings rebuild to replacing an engine rebuild very quickly.

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
Personally, if it was mine, I’d check the oil and attempt to start it . If by chance it did start and run , I would learn a lot about the possible condition. If it wouldn’t start, wouldn’t stay running, or made bad noises, that also would tell me something.

·
Registered
2005 999S
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am going to take some what of an educated guess here because I have not studied the oiling path of a Ducati motor. But generally the main and rod bearings are fed first. And the wrist pins are fed from squirters in the rods. Then oil is fed up through the valve train. So rod and main bearings will starve quickly, which fails first will depend on clearances and condition at that point. The cylinder walls may be scored if it goes long enough. But even if they dont if I was going to tear an engine down and put rod and main bearings in it there is no way its not getting new rings as well.

Have you changed the oil since the crash? If Ducati uses traditional lead/copper bearings you could send an oil sample to Blackstone and have them do an analysis on it. If you still by chance were able to get a sample from a previous change so much the better. You could have them both tested and compare and at least have an idea. But as pointed out you risk going from replacing bearings and rings rebuild to replacing an engine rebuild very quickly.
I have not touched it yet other then taking off plastics and bent handle bar. Makes sense on what your saying gives me a good place to start. It’s hard right now to do things. My collarbone is broken on my dominant left hand. I also broke the tip of my thumb on my right hand😂. So I am pretty weak right now. Was just getting myself lined up for after my surgery this week to start tearing into it and hopefully make the last round of the season.

·
Registered
99' 996
78 Posts
I have not touched it yet other then taking off plastics and bent handle bar. Makes sense on what your saying gives me a good place to start. It’s hard right now to do things. My collarbone is broken on my dominant left hand. I also broke the tip of my thumb on my right hand😂. So I am pretty weak right now. Was just getting myself lined up for after my surgery this week to start tearing into it and hopefully make the last round of the season.
Ouch! I think the broken thumb would be the worst of it, at least for me.

If one of the DKB guys can confirm that Ducati uses lead/copper bearings thats where I would start. Especially with a broken collarbone and thumb I assume it will be a minute before you will get back to racing. And Blackstone has pretty quick turnaround usually. That will at least tell you if the bearings were stressed.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts