Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you everyone for your help so far and for answering my retarded questions. I am rebuilding a 2016 959 which was in an accident.
Bought the bike for 4k, not sure what I will do with it after (probably keep it) but I enjoy the me time in the garage.. Here are some pics so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Its a hell of a piece of work lol

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well coming together so far, the damn sprocket nut was busted so had to order from italy....
Picked up a ducati performance tail for $50 on ebay, gota love ebay seriously.
Changed forks and lower triple, new chain and wheels, headlight bracket finally in. Cleaned up the Brembos (tip: wire brush with wd40 then spray with brake cleaner, does magic) got the bar end mirror super happy with it and did the led headlight swap.

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like my clutch cover to engine is leaking so have to tackle that as well... not looking forward to it 😞

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
...but I enjoy the me time in the garage..
That... exactly. ;)

Way back in '09 when I got my R, I put several hundred miles on her over the summer. The gentlemen I purchased her from, who was the original owner, had several Ducati's and used her as a touring bike. She was not mistreated whatsoever, but was in need of some TLC. I spent the next 18 months doing a top to bottom rebuild, and near of the build, as she was coming back together, and there were fewer and fewer things to work on, my wife asked me why I seemed down when I should have been completely stoked that I would be riding again soon.

I had to think about that one for a few moments and then realized that while I was really stoked to throw a leg over the bike and ride again, the reality was that I was going to miss the time spent on the build. Riding is a blast, and I do love riding this bike, but the riding season in the northeast is maybe 1/3rd of the year. Wrenching can be done on a daily basis, and on a build of that magnitude lasted over a year. It appeals to my engineer brain and I find it to be cathartic in a way that riding is not.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That... exactly. ;)

Way back in '09 when I got my R, I put several hundred miles on her over the summer. The gentlemen I purchased her from, who was the original owner, had several Ducati's and used her as a touring bike. She was not mistreated whatsoever, but was in need of some TLC. I spent the next 18 months doing a top to bottom rebuild, and near of the build, as she was coming back together, and there were fewer and fewer things to work on, my wife asked me why I seemed down when I should have been completely stoked that I would be riding again soon.

I had to think about that one for a few moments and then realized that while I was really stoked to throw a leg over the bike and ride again, the reality was that I was going to miss the time spent on the build. Riding is a blast, and I do love riding this bike, but the riding season in the northeast is maybe 1/3rd of the year. Wrenching can be done on a daily basis, and on a build of that magnitude lasted over a year. It appeals to my engineer brain and I find it to be cathartic in a way that riding is not.
I definitely know how you feel, the closer to the end I get the more I start procrastinating with little bits and pieces. On one hand its exciting to be towards the end on the other hand reality kicks in and I realize that my project is almost over and there is a certain nostalgic feeling. Of course I would love to ride again (some asshole ran over my 749 and I have been out of a bike for over a year) but the time spent within my thoughts working on the bike has been therapeutic to say the least.

·
Premium Member
8,668 Posts
bar end mirrors

I definitely know how you feel, the closer to the end I get the more I start procrastinating with little bits and pieces. On one hand its exciting to be towards the end on the other hand reality kicks in and I realize that my project is almost over and there is a certain nostalgic feeling. Of course, I would love to ride again (some asshole ran over my 749 and I have been out of a bike for over a year) but the time spent within my thoughts working on the bike has been therapeutic to say the least.
therapeutic mixed with the usual frustrations, at least it was for me tackling less involved projects. I'm no gear head, but I actually enjoyed the challenge and learned if I think things out two or three times first, my chance of success increases. I remember a funny moment when I was staring down a certain area of my 916, to me it didn't feel like a long time, but my wife, who was in the garage filing papers, blurted out, "are you going to stare at that thing all day"?

Nice rebuild and things like this always tempts me to make changes or do an upgrade here and there. I love bar end mirrors, I installed them on my Buell 1125CR and should have installed them on my 999R a long time ago. But I just ride around lifting my elbow up and taking peeks of what's behind me. A 4" bar end circle mirror solves all that as in your case as well, those mirrors are cool. If only Ducati extended the 999 series mirrors with an appropriate spacer the function of what mirrors are supposed to do would have been resolved. I just don't understand how they let that get through final inspection. I guess they figured looking cool was more important than safety. I still may install bar ends, but I don't ride the bike that much, admittedly its a garage queen but it also doesn't look like a big deal blocking off the stock mirror fairing holes and installing bar ends. However, the fairing hole covers I have seen in the past haven't been to my liking looks-wise.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
therapeutic mixed with the usual frustrations, at least it was for me tackling less involved projects. I'm no gear head, but I actually enjoyed the challenge and learned if I think things out two or three times first, my chance of success increases. I remember a funny moment when I was staring down a certain area of my 916, to me it didn't feel like a long time, but my wife, who was in the garage filing papers, blurted out, "are you going to stare at that thing all day"?

Nice rebuild and things like this always tempts me to make changes or do an upgrade here and there. I love bar end mirrors, I installed them on my Buell 1125CR and should have installed them on my 999R a long time ago. But I just ride around lifting my elbow up and taking peeks of what's behind me. A 4" bar end circle mirror solves all that as in your case as well, those mirrors are cool. If only Ducati extended the 999 series mirrors with an appropriate spacer the function of what mirrors are supposed to do would have been resolved. I just don't understand how they let that get through final inspection. I guess they figured looking cool was more important than safety. I still may install bar ends, but I don't ride the bike that much, admittedly its a garage queen but it also doesn't look like a big deal blocking off the stock mirror fairing holes and installing bar ends. However, the fairing hole covers I have seen in the past haven't been to my liking looks-wise.
Its funny but I had the same moment, sitting in my garage and my wife came out and exclaimed almost identical words... except she added "you have been here all day!" little did I realize the whole satuday was spent in there lol. I am as well not a gear head, and learn from my mistakes. I have taken the same panels and fairings off multiple times because I forgot this and that or didn't realize the parts that came later needed to be installed with things removed. But thats part of the process, youtube and this forum has been priceless as well. I had a 749 before and I loved those mirrors, yes you couldn't see anything but they did look really sharp. I kind of wish they would put similar ones on the panigale instead of the weird alien antenna. I was never a fan of bar end mirrors but once I saw these I have to admit they do look very cool. As far as the fairing holes I will go with the Rage cycles LED turn signal block offs, they actually look pretty good.
I went with CRG Arrow Bar End Mirror, Black AO-100 for the mirrors and CRG 7/8" Billet Internal Bar End Mirror Adapters for the bar ends. Bought on ebay. They fit very nice and look pretty good.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally received the last bits and pieces from Ducati Omaha, bike runs (at least for a block) and the check engine light went away! Great success
Also bought some paddock stands from ebay $80 with free shipping for both not bad at all.
Seems like there is a bit of a whining noise coming from somewhere under the gas tank and oil is leaking from clutch cover to engine.
Btw the discount code for ducati omaha is Ducatiorg they seriously have the best prices ever.

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So the process of the rebuild got a little complicated but interesting. I ended up buying a crashed 899 with only 6000 miles. The engine looks like it was in better shape than the 959. I decided to rebuild the 899 instead but make it look like the 959. So far I have replaced the rear subframe and tail section which was a direct bolt on. The exhaust from the 959 also fit perfectly once the rear subframe was installed. Used the bracket for the headlight from the 959, this made the 1299S led headlight fit the 899. Now I’m almost done. If my theory is correct the 959 fairings should now directly bolt on to the 899. Call it what you want but so far I am enjoying this :)

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some takeaways. The tail section from the 899 compared to the 959 is horrible. 959 tail is so much sexier! The exhaust for the 899 is noticeably smaller as far as the header pipes. But the 959 exhaust is a direct bolt on as long as you use the whole exhaust and replace the pipes. Otherwise besides the fairings most parts on the interior are interchangeable. What I found was not interchangeable is the rearset bracket, the rearset is fine but the bracket that holds it to the swingarm bolt is slightly smaller on the 899. The clutch cover assembly also doesn’t seem like it would directly bolt on.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also, pretty much everything throws a check engine light. The air sensor on the headlight, the black box, the headlight, the ABS/speed sensors on the rear and front wheel if not connected will throw a check engine light.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
New rear tire and chain finished, took it for a spin and amazingly everything is ok :)
Time to get a mechanic to double check my work and then fairings going on.

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dude... excellent work. You may think you are not, as you said, a "gearhead", but the results of what you've done here state otherwise.

Just beautiful. (y)
Thank you for the kind words and feedback. I am happy with how it turned out. Taking the bike to the shop today or tomorrow for the mechanic to double check my work and sign off on the bike. Then the plastics are going on and going for a first ride.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts