Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a chance to pick up a sport classic gt 1000 for $3600. Bike was involved in a low speed, (15 mph) frony ender into the rear of a car, damage is to the front nose, (lights ext, harness) front fork, and axle and brake caliper rotor, possibly wheel. Dealer who is a honest guy said about 1500-2000 to fix her up in parts (I would do the work, I like this stuff) Bike has only 360 miles on it and is a 2009. What do you guys think, how hard would it be to get these parts and get this bike up and running. Owner owns the bike flat out and had not comprehensive, so it would maintain its "clear title. I am not in a huge rush to get it on the road, and can be patient in getting the parts. Thanks for any advice you have.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
frame and stops

no pictures yet, should have some next week, I think I am going buy this one. Frame has no damage, nor do the bump stops, just mostly front end stuff. The guy banged up his knee pretty bad and he just wants out.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
As long as the frame is undamaged, you should be OK. Forks are easy to find on eBay; front wheel can be rebuilt with alloy rim; headlights are fairly cheap. Perhaps the biggest cost may be clocks and any possible damage caused to the ECU, due to shorting?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
FYI, I am selling my S1K wheels on ebay, right now the highest bid is $400 for the pair (look for them there is only 1 pair available now), and I have stock calipers gathering dust in my closet... you could look for some monster s4r forks which are much better than the SC forks, (I got mine used for $500) and you're in business...

sounds like a deal to me... IF the frame and steering stops are still good, though. otherwise you are looking at a salvaged bike...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
forks and brakes

I geuss my next question is should i take this as a chance to upgrade the forks and shocks, or try and keep it stock?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
If frame isn't bent this is a no-brainer.

Upgrade forks, shocks, wheels.

If you think the ECU has issues, this is a good excuse to buy termis and DP ECU.

While you're at it but a 14T front sprocket.

You'll still be in the bike less than fair market value, so if you are the 1% of riders who hate these (or if after a year you decide to flip it for something else) you'll be the first Ducati owner in the history of time to make money when they unload their bike.

·
Registered
517 Posts
In case you decide not to spend too much monry on an upgrade, you can buy my forks for a low price.
I upgraded to adjustable forks. The stock ones are still in very good condition!!
Send me a PM if you're interested.
~k

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
crashed bike

Thanks guys, I am picking up this bike on Monday or Teusday. I will post a new thread with some photos and more detail on the parts needed. I would like to get this one on the road pretty frugal since I was not planning on buying it to begin with, so I will probably go with a mix of stock and upgrades. Im riding a 97 900ss that i picked up a month ago and will use this one to replace my daily commuter (78 Hondamatic 750). The mechanic said the classic will smoke the ss and I will be very surprised at how much bike is in there. I hope he is right.

·
Registered
126 Posts
In case you decide not to spend too much monry on an upgrade, you can buy my forks for a low price.
I upgraded to adjustable forks. The stock ones are still in very good condition!!
Send me a PM if you're interested.
~k
Personally I would stay away as far as possible from suspension/wheels parts that spent any time in Brooklyn. The streets there reduce the life exponentially.

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
If your looking to stay frugal, I have an extra set of stock forks lying around collecting dust (well the box is anyway). I had a plan for these that has gone by the way side so if you need them they are yours.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
A lot of us have replaced most of the same parts and our bikes weren't wrecked! I've got a straight lower triple clamp that came with my adjustable showas, I'd be happy to peddle it cheap if you need one. And BTW, you are getting a GREAT deal on a GREAT bike!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts