Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lovely '12 MTS, which has close to 90,000 miles, ans 'was' cherry....is no longer. I clipped a deer, on Hwy 36 Saturday and she hit the pavement. Damage is to the left side and my insurance company (All State) said I could write up the damage estimate for the parts. Since I do all my own maintenance, tearing her apart isn't an issue, but I've never heard of this. Any you guys?

·
Registered
259 Posts
My lovely '12 MTS, which has close to 90,000 miles, ans 'was' cherry....is no longer. I clipped a deer, on Hwy 36 Saturday and she hit the pavement. Damage is to the left side and my insurance company (All State) said I could write up the damage estimate for the parts. Since I do all my own maintenance, tearing her apart isn't an issue, but I've never heard of this. Any you guys?

I would personally have it towed and estimated by a Ducati dealer. Their estimate is going to be way higher than anything you come up with.

If you have any accessories or farkles make sure you document those, if they’ll cover it. And don’t forget your helmet and gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
506 Posts
I've done this at the shop I work. You just make a comprehensive list of every single part needed. Don't leave out one nut or bolt.
I've never heard of them letting it up to the owner.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Insurance companies use a couple of different services for estimates. Ducati isn’t on the list for parts estimates. They have labor data for the parts. Your adjuster is is basically asking you to do his job. They’ll pay you list price for the parts plus labor. The only issue you may face is when/if the adjuster actually looks at it and they may deem certain scratches as repairable instead of replacing the part. That’s where you need to argue because the labor to buff out scratches isn’t gonna cover much. Rest assured that even the smallest mark on a lever end means a new lever. Diligently look the bike over and make a comprehensive list of parts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Also keep in mind that if you find something else during the repairs, it’s easy for them to amend the claim and cut you another check.

·
Registered
895 Posts
How bad was the damage (any photos) because a bike with 90,000 miles on is going to have very little sale value, you could negotiate a parts value and fix it yourself, saves them money, but i wouldn't be surprised if a bike shop valued the repairable damage, the bike would be deemed a writeoff. (depending on the amount of damage of course) Good luck, sorry to hear of your accident, and hope you didn't suffer any injuries.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
How bad was the damage (any photos) because a bike with 90,000 miles on is going to have very little sale value, you could negotiate a parts value and fix it yourself, saves them money, but i wouldn't be surprised if a bike shop valued the repairable damage, the bike would be deemed a writeoff. (depending on the amount of damage of course) Good luck, sorry to hear of your accident, and hope you didn't suffer any injuries.
I'm wondering if this is the case... if he takes it to a shop it's almost certainly going to be a write off and the insurance adjuster might know that already so is suggesting that the OP could do it themselves. Of course that's assuming the parts list comes in below the bike value (which may also be unlikely depending on extent of damage). First time I've heard of this but it does make sense (reduces cost for insurance co and gives you the option of keeping a potentially loved bike).

·
Registered
72 Posts
No personal experience but my brother's insurance company suggested this same approach when a less-than-attentive car driver pushed his Buell over in a parking lot. They paid him for his labour as well as the parts list he provided - not what a dealer would have got but enough. He had no issues with the process.
As mentioned ... be absolutely sure that every little part (oil plug seal ring) and consumable (shop supplies) is listed. Oh, and over estimate the time required a touch - we tend to have an inaccurate sense of how long we take to do things on our bikes :)
Good luck with it all ... and I hope you are unhurt and getting over it.

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
Figure the repair cost, but why would you give the insurance company free labor. Get shop repair estimates. Compare that to the buy out, as the bike undoubtedly be totaled, and get the buy back price. They’ll usually cut you a check and deduct your buy back from it.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE: what a GF! I'll spare you all the details, but after weeks, they determined the bike was totaled. The numbers are: $8400'ish for a total and $5900'ish if I decide to keep/buy the bike back. What to do? But it ain't that simple! Ya see, two weeks ago they said they weren't going to total the bike and sent me a check for the adjusted $$$ of the damages. So, Tuesday I ordered the majority of parts to start the repairs....about $1500 worth. Yesterday afternoon I recieved a call advising me of their 'revised' decision. If I'd have known this two weeks ago......I'd probably still buy her back....for two reasons:
1) even though there are some killer deals on '17 models, ridding season is almost over and they'll be great deals next year.
2) my project bike (a '07 1100S MTS that I'm installing the upper half of a Panigale fairing + lots of other goodies) might be ready to ride next year, which would take some mileage away from the 1200.

Body panels: ended up ordering CF stuff.....

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
Sounds to me like they bought the parts to go along with their bike. Hand them everything you ordered and let them pay you for the full price in addition to what you have spent. If you spent more than what they paid, I'd leverage them for what you spent on the basis they changed their decision after cutting a check.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts